Alan Pardew

JH

“As others have said, to only bring in one or two more players will mean we will have a very thin squad again next season. As things stand, we are one injury away from huge problems in quite a big number of positions, and that is before taking into account possible outgoings such as Enrique, Barton, but also squad players such as Routledge, Best, Ranger, Guthrie and the likes...

If we sell all our players we won't have any players!!!

:frantic:

“As others have said, to only bring in one or two more players will mean we will have a very thin squad again next season. As things stand, we are one injury away from huge problems in quite a big number of positions, and that is before taking into account possible outgoings such as Enrique, Barton, but also squad players such as Routledge, Best, Ranger, Guthrie and the likes...

Pretty sure that Unbelievable's (correctly) highlighting that if the likely departures of (primarily) Enrique and Barton come to pass without replacing them, we'll have achieved very little this transfer window. It's not an unlikely scenario.

That's not what I said or even inferred. If you would have read on you would have seen that I believe we have very little cover as thing stand (i.e. even including the players I mentioned as possibly leaving based on media speculation), especially in all defensive positions. One or two addition doesn't cut it, simple as.. If you disagree, I would like you to try and answer the questions I asked in the paragraph following the one you so eloquently responded to:

Who will play right back if Simpson gets injured?

Who will we have to fall back on if Coloccini gets injured? Firstly Taylor and Williamson don't look at all complimentary as players, and what do we have behind these three options? One injury to one of our CB's (especially Colo) and we are in a spot of bother..

Who will replace Enrique effectively if he leaves or gets injured? We have not had decent cover at left back for years.. An injury, and one of our strongest position instantly becomes a glaring weakness on the team sheet

Who have we got to take over Tiote's role if he gets injured, or even during the African Cup of Nations..?

To have a lump as Campbell in the back I rather take my chanes with Tavernier or Kadar. Still lack a left back, other then that I'm quite happy about the defence, good 1st options not so good 2nd ones, but what could you expect? Midfield has gotten improved, especially with the "new signings" making room for them selling Nolan was the best bet. We got goals, allthough I would like one more goalscorer.

Pardew's a gobshite, basically. I wouldn't worry about much he says because he'll say one thing is going to happen and then the next week the opposite will have happened. Or he'll come out with shite such as Marveaux not playing due to his contract. He just likes the sound of his own voice.

What worries me more is Ashley's past record. This combined with one or two Pardew soundbites makes me somewhat skeptical about us spending the carroll and nolan cash and taking this opportunity to advance.

Pretty sure Marveaux did not play in the latter stages of his time at Rennes because they knew he was going. Not a false statement.

Nope. He resumed training at the end of the season and was available for selection in the very last game. one single game. Marveaux himself said that. Not sure this where this idea that he missed games due to a contract dispute is coming from - it's just absolutely wrong.

this is the quote that was reported:

"I resumed individual training sessions at Rennes late last season and I could have played the last match if the club wanted."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/newcastle-signing-marveaux-disgusted-liverpool-failed-medical-claims-1703881

Perch.

Who will we have to fall back on if Coloccini gets injured? Firstly Taylor and Williamson don't look at all complimentary as players, and what do we have behind these three options? One injury to one of our CB's (especially Colo) and we are in a spot of bother..

I don't remember Taylor and Williamson partnering each other off the top of my head to comment on them as a pairing, I presume Kadar will step up.

Who will replace Enrique effectively if he leaves or gets injured? We have not had decent cover at left back for years.. An injury, and one of our strongest position instantly becomes a glaring weakness on the team sheet

Neil Taylor looks like he's being brought in as back up.

Who have we got to take over Tiote's role if he gets injured, or even during the African Cup of Nations..?

Nobody that plays the defensive role but one of Barton, Guthrie, Smith or Gosling will fill in.

Now I'm not advocating that Perch or Smith should be relied on as back up because they shouldn't, however they are here taking a wage and I don't see the club allowing them to stay without being apart of the clubs 25 man squad, a number that's practically at it's limit. Which is why I think the 2 players he's talking about is on top of what we've got, then anyone else will be replaced 1 for 1 with hopefully upgrades to improve the first team or squad.

We know the club have been drip feeding stories to the local press about players being told they can leave and the hope is that if we can shift them that we will bring in better players as replacements, fingers crossed that the market starts picking up now clubs are starting pre season training and that we can move the dead wood on.

Perch.

I don't remember Taylor and Williamson partnering each other off the top of my head to comment on them as a pairing, I presume Kadar will step up.

Nobody that plays the defensive role but one of Barton, Guthrie, Smith or Gosling will fill in.

Now I'm not advocating that Perch or Smith should be relied on as back up because they shouldn't, however they are here taking a wage and I don't see the club allowing them to stay without being apart of the clubs 25 man squad, a number that's practically at it's limit. Which is why I think the 2 players he's talking about is on top of what we've got, then anyone else will be replaced 1 for 1 with hopefully upgrades to improve the first team or squad.

We know the club have been drip feeding stories to the local press about players being told they can leave and the hope is that if we can shift them that we will bring in better players as replacements, fingers crossed that the market starts picking up now clubs are starting pre season training and that we can move the dead wood on.

So that's Perch (s***), Kadar (promising but extremely injury prone himself), Naylor (if he signs; played at Conference level under a year ago) and "nobody"/Smith..

Enough said I think?

Also, if the club plan to shift the deadwood and only replace them if and when this happens, why not say so, rather than explicitly stating one or two players will come in?

Perch.

So that's Perch (shit), Kadar (promising but extremely injury prone himself), Naylor (if he signs; played at Conference level under a year ago) and "nobody"/Smith..

Enough said I think?

If you read the rest of what I've said I've tried to explain my take on it.

Do you think the club would continue to pay Perch, Smith and Kadar while not even including them in the clubs 25 man squad?

I'm not sure what playing at conference level a year ago matters either.

I'll hand out knives outside of St.James for everyone who wants to cut their wrists tomorrow. Seriously, there is two months left of the transferwindow, and people are making doom of things allready? Could I ask why?

Two very concrete things:

1) some very tangible, worrying quotes by Pardew (see above)

2) previous experience with Ashley & Co

Personally I have much more trouble understanding people who can't read the club's statements for what their worth and seemingly forget the past transfer window(s) fiascos every time a new one starts..

Also, if the club plan to shift the deadwood and only replace them if and when this happens, why not say so, rather than explicitly stating one or two players will come in?

Maybe it's not the best thing to announce all of your intentions for the world to see? Vagueness may be irritating but it can serve a greater good.

How would you phrase that statement about wanting to shift deadwood if you were Pardew? "Yeah we've got some absolute turd players here, we're looking to unload them on some unwitting saps.  Then we'll see about replacing them with upgrades." 

Personally I have much more trouble understanding people who can't read the club's statements for what their worth and seemingly forget the past transfer window(s) fiascos every time a new one starts..

Like the 'no capital outlay this summer' quotes before we went out and signed Tiote and Ben Arfa?

Surely that should tell you not to jump to conclusions from quotes and statements.

Maybe it's not the best thing to announce all of your intentions for the world to see? Vagueness may be irritating but it can serve a greater good.

How would you phrase that statement about wanting to shift deadwood if you were Pardew? "Yeah we've got some absolute turd players here, we're looking to unload them on some unwitting saps.  Then we'll see about replacing them with upgrades." 

If you start announcing that you need to shift players to free up space for replacements then people will know you're desperate, even Redknapp sidestepped the point by leaving it at he has to sell before he buys, the difference being people know we've brought in a large sum recently.

Like the 'no capital outlay this summer' quotes before we went out and signed Tiote and Ben Arfa?

Surely that should tell you not to jump to conclusions from quotes and statements.

Completely forgot about this! :laugh:

Maybe it's not the best thing to announce all of your intentions for the world to see?

"We are looking to bring in one or two players who significantly strengthen important areas in our first team, and possibly a few promising youngsters who we would slowly blood in, depending on whether we can sell some of the current players on our books who have been told they don't have a future at the club"

Easy peasy Japanese..

Maybe it's not the best thing to announce all of your intentions for the world to see?

"We are looking to bring in one or two players who significantly strengthen important areas in our first team, and possibly a few promising youngsters who we would slowly blood in, depending on whether we can sell some of the current players on our books who have been told they don't have a future at the club"

Easy peasy Japanese..

Like the club would say that.

Has any other club released a statement like that?

Oh, I don't need to go back until the summer to find some quotes that have later been proved to be misleading, and I'm sure neither would you if you tried real hard to remember what happened in January..

Fact is there is no reason for these quotes or the one you just mentioned from last year other than to gradually lower our expectations. We spend what, 3 or 4 million last summer, on our return to the Premier League after being relegated the year before? Whoopifuckingdoo..

Easy peasy Japanese..

Statements saying players have been told they don't have a future at a club happen all the time.

Oh, I don't need to go back until the summer to find some quotes that have later been proved to be misleading, and I'm sure neither would you if you tried real hard to remember what happened in January..

Fact is there is no reason for these quotes or the one you just mentioned from last year other than to gradually lower our expectations. We spend what, 3 or 4 million last summer, on our return to the Premier League after being relegated the year before? Whoopifuckingdoo..

At the same time there's no need to say that they're trying to shift on dead wood to free up space for new players (if that is the case) if the only benefit of it is to stop people from spending all of their time on messageboards over analysing every comment to death.

Statements saying players have been told they don't have a future at a club happen all the time.

Statements detailing the entirety of your plan around the first team however, are exceedingly rare.  In fact one feels that there must be a compelling reason no club or manager has ever released a whole statement like that.  

Regardless, it doesn't detract from your main overall point which is agreeable on the whole.  

Easy peasy Japanese..

Links please.

At the same time there's no need to say that they're trying to shift on dead wood to free up space for new players (if that is the case) if the only benefit of it is to stop people from spending all of their time on messageboards over analysing every comment to death.

To be honest, I sometimes think the people at the club should communicate more and better with the fans, but if all they can come out with is bollocks like this from Pardew it makes me wonder if we're all not better off if they just shut up and implemented their great "five year plan" in silence... (When are we supposed to be "challenging for everything" again Derek?)

How would you phrase that statement about wanting to shift deadwood if you were Pardew? "Yeah we've got some absolute turd players here, we're looking to unload them on some unwitting saps.  Then we'll see about replacing them with upgrades."  

Easy peasy Japanese..

Links please.

Here's 36,6 million links for you: http://www.google.nl/search?q=told+he+has+no+future+at+the+club&hl=nl&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&ei=d2oOTuqYIovsObXp2KIL&start=40&sa=N&biw=1440&bih=764

I will let you find the best examples yourself..