Alan Pardew

JH

Because if Pardew says "We're going for the top eight/six!!", when we don't get to that position, people will go "Failure of a season!! Pards out!".

It's a classic lowering of expectations. We say our aim is top ten, it doesn't mean we aren't looking any higher than 10th.

The club told us (United for Newcastle) that the strategy is simple: whatever the league position we finish in each year, we better it the next year.  Top 10 seems like a reasonable aim in keeping with that.  We're not going to break into top six or eight next year.

Guest Antec

The club told us (United for Newcastle) that the strategy is simple: whatever the league position we finish in each year, we better it the next year.  Top 10 seems like a reasonable aim in keeping with that.  We're not going to break into top six or eight next year.

Sounds very good, I'd be delighted with that

The club told us (United for Newcastle) that the strategy is simple: whatever the league position we finish in each year, we better it the next year.  Top 10 seems like a reasonable aim in keeping with that.  We're not going to break into top six or eight next year.

I think we can sneak 7/8th, only if everything goes to plan ofc.

Guest Antec
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jul2011/0/5/back-page-july-05-2011-876742250.jpg

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-news-Alan-Pardew-praises-excellent-Mike-Ashley-for-support-in-spending-Andy-Carroll-fee-article756476.html

“If you add up the money and think we have not spent the £35m, you will be way off. I have to mark the cards of the fans on that.”

Has this just been worded badly or have we spent the £35 million already?

Guest Antec

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-news-Alan-Pardew-praises-excellent-Mike-Ashley-for-support-in-spending-Andy-Carroll-fee-article756476.html

“If you add up the money and think we have not spent the £35m, you will be way off. I have to mark the cards of the fans on that.”

Has this just been worded badly or have we spent the £35 million already?

Worded badly I'd guess

He confirmed he is ready to buy two more “offensive players”.

Sounds like we might be getting Bendtner then, he's the most offensive player we've been linked with.

I think (hope) that Pardew means that if you add up the money spent when the window shuts and think we've not spent the £35m you'll be way off in that quote.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jul2011/0/5/back-page-july-05-2011-876742250.jpg

Ha, way to go ronny gill. Be fkn lovely if they do, but just don't see either of those players coming as it stands.

We know that Pardew's contract is largely based on the financial performance of the club. What we don't know for certain are the exact details of his contract. He is clearly willing to shield Ashley of blame from not spending money in the transfer window because he benefits from this financially. Did Pardew do the math in his head regarding Carroll's sale? Something along the lines of "I really don't want to sell him but since I get X% of any transfer positive balance at the end of the fiscal year I would earn X million."

This is one of the things that worries me about the current set up. Buying cheap, selling high and making money has worked for Arsenal, but we're not Arsenal (no matter how many french players we sign) and Pardew is definately not Wenger. Also I doubt Wenger has the same type of contract that Pardew has. With Ashley and Llambias involved I would hazard a guess that Pardew's contract is a bit more cynical (naked greed).

We just have to wait and see if this works.

Interesting points.

Thanks for posting that Telegraph article as well, had never seen that.

Guest Antec

Ben Arfa £5.5m transfer fee £2m signing on/agents fee £2m wages first year

Cabaye £4.3m transfer fee £2m signing on/agents fee

Ba £0m transfer fee £2m signing on/agents fee

Marveaux £0m transfer fee £2m signing on/agents fee

Abeid £0m transfer fee £1m signing on/agents fee

Nolan -£4m transfer fee

Nolan's wages to cover Cabaye, Campbell's and Kuqi's partly to cover Ba and Marveaux

Very rough guesswork obviously, can anyone suggest anything I've missed or got wrong?

Currently seems like £20.8m spent (not including cost of Ba/Marveaux wage difference) with £4m recouped, sound about right?

Guest Antec

Tiote's new contract and some new nets at the training ground.

True forgot about that, maybe Carroll's wages cover Tiote's contract though

The new nets I can't account for :lol:

I've been told by a well-known national football journalist that the first two years of Tiotes new contract will be funded by the money received for Carroll.

The fact that we reportedly got 30m up front for Carroll with 5m the following year could also be a factor - considering the way Ashley does his sums.

Even if we were to reinvest the lot, wouldn't be surprised if the available max is 30m this year.

Guest Antec

I've been told by a well-known national football journalist that the first two years of Tiotes new contract will be funded by the money received for Carroll.

If Tiote's wages went up from say £20k p/w to £40k p/w that would be an extra £2m over two years, sound about right?

Good guesswork from said national journo.  What's your point?

Guest TheSummerOf69

More wisdom (and rearranged promises) from Pardew:

“When you sign somebody like Demba Ba or Sylvain Marveaux there are huge transfer fees involved in that."

“We have spent a fair amount on these three players in particular – more than the fans realise. I need to mark their card on that. If you are going to start adding up the money you will be way off the figures."

“Mike promised to put that back in the club. I know what the figure is and what has been spent on the training ground and everything will go back in the club."

“We are trying to locate one or two development players that cost more than you think."

“I want to say that because Mike and Derek’s backing has been very strong so far and I am pleased with it."

The Halls and the Shepherds took hundreds of millions out of the club and into their pockets... yet also bought big, payed big wages, built the stadium up, etc. Now we can't rub two pennies together?

The mismanagement of Shepherd in giving Souness 50 million to waste left us broke, which is where Ashley came in (with eyes shut), but Ashley's misdemeanours have cost us badly too - especially if he is trying to get all the money back that his mistakes have cost us, and isn't paying for all the Sports Direct advertising plastered everywhere.

Ashley has the new record Sky money, the new 3 year Season ticket money, 40 million from selling our top two scorers (worth more as English players proven in the Premier League), a much trimmed wage bill, etc etc... but a 5m player, a couple of free transfers, and some heating for the training ground has left us nearly out of cash?

Yes, boss.

Guest TheSummerOf69

Our new hero: the 35 Million Pound training pitch!

(Anyone who remembers the 6 Million Dollar Man tv show from the '70s can add their own duh-duh-duh-duh sound effects).

Guest Antec

How do you find this?

icnewcastle release sneak peeks of the front and back pages of each days Ronnie Gill in the morning