Alan Pardew

JH

Guest Chubby Jason

It's a bizarre transfer model that we seems to be adopting. We're more than happy to sell our best striker for £35million+ but are unwilling to invest even a 3rd of that amount on a replacement for said player. What a fantastic philosophy to adapt when we are in an unprecedented position to use these funds to strengthen the squad and get back to being a top-6 side.

Will never happen under this disgusting ownership.

Who says we aren't prepared to invest a third of it in a replacement?

Mere speculation on my part; however it's based on Ashley's previous form. Hopefully I'm wrong but I won't be.

It's a bizarre transfer model that we seems to be adopting. We're more than happy to sell our best striker for £35million+ but are unwilling to invest even a 3rd of that amount on a replacement for said player. What a fantastic philosophy to adapt when we are in an unprecedented position to use these funds to strengthen the squad and get back to being a top-6 side.

Mere speculation on my part; however it's based on Ashley's previous form. Hopefully I'm wrong but I won't be.

you're a happy soul.

So you don't believe we were ever seriously interested in Gameiro?

Guest BooBoo

It was quite a tissue of lies if we weren't interested in Gameiro like. If Mike Ashley really had that ability to mislead people he would be much more popular.

Under Ashley we've nearly signed quite a few of big money signings- Modric, Gameiro etc- but for some strange reason we never get them through the door and sign cheap players or freebies instead.

Ameobi - #9 and Captain.

Easy decision.

Looks good :pow: :laugh:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Infernal_Affairs/shola.jpg

(Apologies for a lame paint job)

Who said we want a top 6 place, Ashley/Lambsarse have already said it's top 10 they want

I don't believe in it( the no.9 cult).......but would leave it spare if no one wants it.

It's a tough one, it does come with pressure and expectations rightly or not.

On the other hand resting the jersey or leaving it vacant just fuels the legend and leaves a much bigger expectation on the person that finally does take it.

I find this latest set of quotes from Pardew very disconcerting...

"We’re all looking forward to getting back to work next Monday. The squad is looking healthy and, hopefully, there are still one or two to come.

“They won’t be in before July 4, but we hope to get one in before the tour of America – and there could well be one after the tour.

As others have said, to only bring in one or two more players will mean we will have a very thin squad again next season. As things stand, we are one injury away from huge problems in quite a big number of positions, and that is before taking into account possible outgoings such as Enrique, Barton, but also squad players such as Routledge, Best, Ranger, Guthrie and the likes...

Who will play right back if Simpson gets injured?

Who will we have to fall back on if Coloccini gets injured? Firstly Taylor and Williamson don't look at all complimentary as players, and what do we have behind these three options? One injury to one of our CB's (especially Colo) and we are in a spot of bother..

Who will replace Enrique effectively if he leaves or gets injured? We have not had decent cover at left back for years.. An injury, and one of our strongest positions instantly becomes a glaring weakness on the team sheet

Who have we got to take over Tiote's role if he gets injured, or even during the African Cup of Nations..?

We look slightly more balanced numerically in midfield and attack, even though we could do with a real injection of quality up front.

On paper, we have a decent first team, but there are too many positions where we are royally f***ed if our first (and sometimes only) choice player gets injured for any amount of time, or gets sold off because we receive an offer "we could not refuse" on transfer deadline day. Just one or two additions will not give us the required squad depth to seriously challenge for anything more than midtable.

"I am really pleased with the way the squad is taking shape. I'm excited. You could say we have got five new players who we didn't have last year.

Well, that was predictable, wasn't it..? The "like new players" line, and so early in the window too..

"We have obviously lost Kevin Nolan, but we have gained Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Sylvain Marveaux - and then there is Hatem Ben Arfa and Dan Gosling.

Is Pardew suffering from amnesia or what? To count Ben Arfa and Dan Gosling as new signings is one thing, but to conveniently forget about a number of outgoings is quite another. Besides Nolan, we have also lost Campbell as centre back cover, Ireland in midfield, Kuqi in attack (not going into a debate about the value to the squad - we have lost them as options to bring on in an hour of need) already this summer. I would also argue due to the timing of the transfer of Carroll, and the inability to properly replace him at the time as a consequence, we have also lost him, and when we compare last season's squad with next season's, he should also be considered. All in all we have lost our two highest goalscorers and a few squad players. We have (significantly?) strengthened the midfield, but have essentially gone backwards in defense and attack so far.

"Hatem could be the best signing if he stays fit all year, and we are looking forward to seeing what Dan can do as well.

Hatem is not a signing. I understand Pardew hopes he can get Ben Arfa and Gosling playing at their ability, because if he does he will have one very good and one quite decent player at his disposal, but we also have to face reality here: they have both suffered very serious injuries that may have a significant impact on the rest of their careers. They may not come back as good as they were/could have been, or they may be more injury prone in the future. I really hope this will not happen, as both players could have a great future with us, but we have to also be prepared just in case..

"Ba is an out-and-out goalscorer, a winner and will certainly give everything he's got. I expect him to get between 15 and 25 goals this year.

Pardew expects Ba to score between 15 to 25 goals! Seriously? I think we will be very lucky if he stays more or less injury free and scores 15. He has a good record in a dozen matches with West Ham, but to expect him to be amongst the league's top scorers next season is asking a bit much.. Also, this statement seems to infer Ba has been brought in as our main striker. Whilst I rate him higher than our current set of strikers, I was certainly hoping we would replace Carroll with a slightly higher calibre of forward. Again, I am pleased with getting Ba on board, especially on a free, but compared to last season's squad (with Carroll) I think we have certainly not yet made the progress in this area that Carroll's transfer fee should enable us to do, and statements like this make me worried that we don't intend to do so either.

"Marveaux has impressed and, because of his contract situation, he didn't play a lot last season, but that means he comes to us fresh. We think there is a lot to come from him.

"He works off the left-hand side as a rule, can play off either foot and will certainly give us competition for Gutierrez and Joey (Barton) on both flanks. They are really nice options for us.

Marveaux didn't play a lot last season because of his contract situation? Does Pardew even know we are (once again) gambling on a notoriously injury prone player to take us forward?

"The only way the players are good value is if they are a big success for the team, and hopefully they will be, playing at a venue as big as Newcastle.

"We are still looking to get another striker – whether or not they will wear No 9, we will have to see.

From this comment, it doesn't look like we are definitely after a first team striker. Considering the fact we have squad forwards aplenty, if we are after another striker it should surely be somebody with the profile to wear the number 9 shirt at NUFC?

"I have spoken to Joey over the summer. Unfortunately at the moment there is no new contract for him. He has a year remaining and I think he will stay for that year.

"My view of it is quite open-ended - I think, like a lot of players, that yearly term contracts in the Premier League are going to be the norm.

"But who is to say that in a year’s time that Joey gets a contract that he finds acceptable?”

"I am hoping he will play better than last year, I don’t see why he shouldn’t. He really had a fantastic season last year.”

Why is there no new contract for Joey at the moment? Didn't Pardew himself say earlier how much he wanted to keep Joey at the club? Surely he would want to keep him here longer if he truly believes Barton had a fantastic season last year..?

Also, one year contracts will be the norm!? Where is he even getting this stuff from? We are handing out 5 and 6 years contracts like there is not tomorrow for f***'s sake..  :crazy2:

Who is to say Joey will get a contract he finds acceptable in a year's time? Is this a face off or something? Why, if you believe he had a fantastic season and you see no reason he will not play even better next season, do you doubt he will get a contract elsewhere that would be acceptable for him, especially on a Bosman..?

The entire Barton contract situation makes no sense at all to me, and it makes me worried what our intentions are with Barton and Enrique this transfer window. To me it looks like we are trying to convey a message how we want them to stay and excell for us next season, whlst in reality we will jump at the first chance to cash in on them.

Admittedly, I am very cautious of Ashley based on what has happened in the past, and maybe I am reading too much into these quotes, but they certainly do nothing to ease my worries. I am happy with our transfer window activity so far, but we have to push on here, as this is an excellent opportunity (with the Carroll money available and relative stability after avoiding relegation more easily than expected) to show a bit of ambition and get NUFC back to where it should be (challenging for Europe).

Yeah. Tend to appreciate and take solace in most of Pardew's sound-bites, but the latest batch haven't exactly quelled the lingering concerns we all have. I don't expect him to come out and say "get ready folks, £20m striker and Zoggy are just around the corner"... but then i hadn't expected him to come out with such wishy-washy and, in many ways, bizarre quotes such as these. Especially after the promising start to the window we've had.

Long way to go until it SLAMS SHUT , but i've dropped from 'cautiously optimistic' to plain cautious in the last 48 hours.

I find this latest set of quotes from Pardew very disconcerting...

"We’re all looking forward to getting back to work next Monday. The squad is looking healthy and, hopefully, there are still one or two to come.

“They won’t be in before July 4, but we hope to get one in before the tour of America – and there could well be one after the tour.

As others have said, to only bring in one or two more players will mean we will have a very thin squad again next season. As things stand, we are one injury away from huge problems in quite a big number of positions, and that is before taking into account possible outgoings such as Enrique, Barton, but also squad players such as Routledge, Best, Ranger, Guthrie and the likes...

Who will play right back if Simpson gets injured?

Who will we have to fall back on if Coloccini gets injured? Firstly Taylor and Williamson don't look at all complimentary as players, and what do we have behind these three options? One injury to one of our CB's (especially Colo) and we are in a spot of bother..

Who will replace Enrique effectively if he leaves or gets injured? We have not had decent cover at left back for years.. An injury, and one of our strongest position instantly becomes a glaring weakness on the team sheet

Who have we got to take over Tiote's role if he gets injured, or even during the African Cup of Nations..?

We look slightly more balanced numerically in midfield and attack, even though we could do with a real injection of quality up front.

On paper, we have a decent first team, but there are too many positions where we are royally f***ed if our first (and sometimes only) choice player gets injured for any amount of time, or gets sold off because we receive an offer "we could not refuse" on transfer deadline day. Just one or two additions will not give us the required squad depth to seriously challenge for anything more than midtable.

"I am really pleased with the way the squad is taking shape. I'm excited. You could say we have got five new players who we didn't have last year.

Well, that was predictable, wasn't it..? The "like new players" line, and so early in the window too..

"We have obviously lost Kevin Nolan, but we have gained Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Sylvain Marveaux - and then there is Hatem Ben Arfa and Dan Gosling.

Is Pardew suffering from amnesia or what? To count Ben Arfa and Dan Gosling as new signings is one thing, but to conveniently forget about a number of outgoings is quite another. Besides Nolan, we have also lost Campbell as centre back cover, Ireland in midfield, Kuqi in attack (not going into a debate about the value to the squad - we have lost them as options to bring on in an hour of need) already this summer. I would also argue due to the timing of the transfer of Carroll, and the inability to properly replace him at the time as a consequence, we have also lost him, and when we compare last season's squad with next season's, he should also be considered. All in all we have lost our two highest goalscorers and a few squad players. We have (significantly?) strengthened the midfield, but have essentially gone backwards in defense and attack so far.

"Hatem could be the best signing if he stays fit all year, and we are looking forward to seeing what Dan can do as well.

Hatem is not a signing. I understand Pardew hopes he can get Ben Arfa and Gosling playing at their ability, because if he does he will have one very good and one quite decent player at his disposal, but we also have to face reality here: they have both suffered very serious injuries that may have a significant impact on the rest of their careers. They may not come back as good as they were/could have been, or they may be more injury prone in the future. I really hope this will not happen, as both players could have a great future with us, but we have to also be prepared just in case..

"Ba is an out-and-out goalscorer, a winner and will certainly give everything he's got. I expect him to get between 15 and 25 goals this year.

Pardew expects Ba to score between 15 to 25 goals! Seriously? I think we will be very lucky if he stays more or less injury free and scores 15. He has a good record in a dozen matches with West Ham, but to expect him to be amongst the league's top scorers next season is asking a bit much.. Also, this statement seems to infer Ba has been brought in as our main striker. Whilst I rate him higher than our current set of strikers, I was certainly hoping we would replace Carroll with a slightly higher calibre of forward. Again, I am pleased with getting Ba on board, especially on a free, but compared to last season's squad (with Carroll) I think we have certainly not yet made the progress in this area that Carroll's transfer fee should enable us to do, and statements like this make me worried that we don't intend to do so either.

"Marveaux has impressed and, because of his contract situation, he didn't play a lot last season, but that means he comes to us fresh. We think there is a lot to come from him.

"He works off the left-hand side as a rule, can play off either foot and will certainly give us competition for Gutierrez and Joey (Barton) on both flanks. They are really nice options for us.

Marveaux didn't play a lot last season because of his contract situation? Does Pardew even know we are (once again) gambling on a notoriously injury prone player to take us forward?

"The only way the players are good value is if they are a big success for the team, and hopefully they will be, playing at a venue as big as Newcastle.

"We are still looking to get another striker – whether or not they will wear No 9, we will have to see.

From this comment, it doesn't look like we are definitely after a first team striker. Considering the fact we have squad forwards aplenty, if we are after another striker it should surely be somebody with the profile to wear the number 9 shirt at NUFC?

"I have spoken to Joey over the summer. Unfortunately at the moment there is no new contract for him. He has a year remaining and I think he will stay for that year.

"My view of it is quite open-ended - I think, like a lot of players, that yearly term contracts in the Premier League are going to be the norm.

"But who is to say that in a year’s time that Joey gets a contract that he finds acceptable?”

"I am hoping he will play better than last year, I don’t see why he shouldn’t. He really had a fantastic season last year.”

Why is there no new contract for Joey at the moment? Didn't Pardew himself say earlier how much he wanted to keep Joey at the club? Surely he would want to keep him here longer if he truly believes Barton had a fantastic season last year..?

Also, one year contracts will be the norm!? Where is he even getting this stuff from? We are handing out 5 and 6 years contracts like there is not tomorrow for f***'s sake..  :crazy2:

Who is to say Joey will get a contract he finds acceptable in a year's time? Is this a face off or something? Why, if you believe he had a fantastic season and you see no reason he will play even better next season, do you doubt he will get a contract elsewhere that would be acceptable for him, especially on a Bosman..?

The entire Barton contract situation makes no sense at all to me, and it makes me worried what our intentions are with Barton and Enrique this transfer window. To me it looks like we are trying to convey a message how we want them to stay and excell for us next season, whlst in reality we will jump at the first chance to cash in on them.

Admittedly, I am very cautious of Ashley based on what has happened in the past, and maybe I am reading too much into these quotes, but they certainly do nothing to ease my worries. I am happy with our transfer window activity so far, but we have to push on here, as this is an excellent opportunity (with the Carroll money available and relative stability after avoiding relegation more easily than expected) to show a bit of ambition and get NUFC back to where it should be (challenging for Europe).

All very good points and they are my sentiments too and i hope we are proved wrong but his comments before Carrolls sale and beyond are emmbarrassing on a lot of occasions that you point out ,we as fans want 2  things a successful club and watch entertaining football but what i will not accept is being lied to and deceived ,this is not knee jerk but a valid reaction imho to Pardews comments in recent months.

Yeah. Tend to appreciate and take solace in most of Pardew's sound-bites, but the latest batch haven't exactly quelled the lingering concerns we all have. I don't expect him to come out and say "get ready folks, £20m striker and Zoggy are just around the corner"... but then i hadn't expected him to come out with such wishy-washy and, in many ways, bizarre quotes such as these. Especially after the promising start to the window we've had.

Long way to go until it SLAMS SHUT , but i've dropped from 'cautiously optimistic' to plain cautious in the last 48 hours.

Same here. Pardew's quotes don't exactly fill me with confidence but there's still time for things to change I guess :undecided: