Alan Pardew

JH

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/06/22/toon-new-boys-snap-up-homes-in-newcastle-area-72703-28921143/

As well as boosting their European scouting network Newcastle have plunged funds into sharpening up their act when it comes to helping foreign arrivals settle quickly. And it seems to have paid off.

They helped the players find properties and will lay on English lessons for Cabaye, the only one of the trio who doesn’t boast fluent language skills.

Sounds like we've finally got some sort of player liaison officer  :thup: :thup:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/06/22/toon-new-boys-snap-up-homes-in-newcastle-area-72703-28921143/

As well as boosting their European scouting network Newcastle have plunged funds into sharpening up their act when it comes to helping foreign arrivals settle quickly. And it seems to have paid off.

They helped the players find properties and will lay on English lessons for Cabaye, the only one of the trio who doesn’t boast fluent language skills.

Sounds like we've finally got some sort of player liaison officer  :thup: :thup:

Good news that, all this good PR will only help the club and help attract other players.

Good news that, all this good PR will only help the club and help attract other players.

It's absolutely insane that some clubs will pay a gazillion dollars for a player and won't even give him the most basic of help to settle in the area. Good that we're finally catching up.

That happened with Marcelino. My old Head of Year used to live next to him and the club gave him no help whatsoever. Didn't find him a place to live, language classes, school for his kids, etc. I know you can argue he's a grown man on big wages he should be able to cope, but still, not a good impression is it?

We certainly seem to be handling foreign players a lot better these days. Tiote/Ben Arfa good examples. We are also doing our homework so that Luque/Xisco never happen again. there will always be 1 or 2 that just don't perform but at least we are trying to help them.

It remains to be seen if Pardew has given the go ahead to players signed and players to be signed but I don't see any Perch's, Smiths, Pancrates round the corner and the players targeted appear to have ability. The 3 they have signed certainly appear capable of improving our team and hopefully they bring in similar types.

The big thing will be them settling next season but hopefully with Tiote/Ben Arfa/ Colo etc it will become easier for foreigners to integrate themselves.

Guest TheSummerOf69

Signing new players, especially unfamiliar ones, is always a time for hope and dreams.

But we had the same reaction when we signed the likes of Luque, Marcelino, Xisco, Smith, Owen, etc etc.

And then there's the ones who took quite some time to settle and play consistently well: Enrique, Colo, Barton, Nolan (and looking back to two of our biggest players in Lee and Speed they still took some time to settle).

I have this nagging doubt that ripping the guts out of a team and trying to build a whole one from scratch isn't a philosophy employed by many clubs... because it doesn't have a great track record.

Signing new players, especially unfamiliar ones, is always a time for hope and dreams.

But we had the same reaction when we signed the likes of Luque, Marcelino, Xisco, Smith, Owen, etc etc.

And then there's the ones who took quite some time to settle and play consistently well: Enrique, Colo, Barton, Nolan (and looking back to two of our biggest players in Lee and Speed they still took some time to settle).

I have this nagging doubt that ripping the guts out of a team and trying to build a whole one from scratch isn't a philosophy employed by many clubs... because it doesn't have a great track record.

Great post this one... It is why we need to keep hold of Barton and Jose....

True, but we haven't built a whole team from scratch - Nolan is the only player who has left.

How could you forget Kuqi and Campbell man!  3 in, 3 out so far.  I think the 3 in are an upgrade on the 3 that have departed, only just mind....

True, but we haven't built a whole team from scratch - Nolan is the only player who has left.

How could you forget Kuqi and Campbell man!  3 in, 3 out so far.  I think the 3 in are an upgrade on the 3 that have departed, only just mind....

Only just ?

Guest TheSummerOf69

Signs are though that Carrol and Nolan (and probably Routledge) will be followed by Guitierez, Barton, Best, Enrique, Ranger, Guthrie and Smith (OK, no tears on that last one!  :doh:). Add in Harper and that's a team's worth.

Plus, on top of the new signings, in Ben Arfa and Gosling we have two more players yet to be bedded in.

Signs are though that Carrol and Nolan (and probably Routledge) will be followed by Guitierez, Barton, Best, Enrique, Ranger, Guthrie and Smith (OK, no tears on that last one!  :doh:).

Plus, on top of the new signings, in Ben Arfa and Gosling we have two more players yet to be bedded in.

Get real. The team is already used to life without Carroll. Neither Barton nor Enrique will leave this summer. Nil Ranger won't be missed, though Best might. We're buying and going after better midfielders than Routledge and Guthrie. And Smith, well, hey, great!

Signs are though that Carrol and Nolan (and probably Routledge) will be followed by Guitierez, Barton, Best, Enrique, Ranger, Guthrie and Smith (OK, no tears on that last one!  :doh:). Add in Harper and that's a team's worth.

If rumors qualify as departures, can we do the same for incomings?

In which case none of that is going to be a problem because we've got Barnetta, N'Zogbia, Matuidi, M'Bengue, Taylor, Berbatov, Erdinc, and Sturridge.

Signs are though that Carrol and Nolan (and probably Routledge) will be followed by Guitierez, Barton, Best, Enrique, Ranger, Guthrie and Smith (OK, no tears on that last one!  :doh:). Add in Harper and that's a team's worth.

In which case none of that is going to be a problem because we've got Barnetta, N'Zogbia, Matuidi, M'Bengue, Taylor, Berbatov, Erdinc, and Sturridge.

I think we might still have someone looking at Kuyt too

Only just ?

It was just a bit of sarcasm mate.  Aimed certain fans who are still crying about Nolan (not many on here I have to say).  When you compare the 3 in, 3 out it's not bad at all.

Whoah, easy tiger. The only one I think might be leaving out of those is Enrique... and that's not even confirmed.

I agree we need to be wary of the pace of change, but at the moment the outgoings haven't been that bad. Sad to lose Nolan but the deal at West Ham is obviously too crazy to match.

Guest TheSummerOf69

Whoah, easy tiger. The only one I think might be leaving out of those is Enrique... and that's not even confirmed.

Can I quote you on that later in the Summer?

We shed a load of players when we went down but we coped. The ones that were left were used to playing together, though,  and forged a really strong, determined, and united bond.

My concern is that we are unnecessarily ridding ourselves of that core too early. Why not keep the players until it's clear we don't need them anymore rather than taking gambles now for the sake of money we aren't desperate for? It would also surely give ourselves more chance of persuading Enrique to sign up again. (We didn't need to match Nolan's West Ham offer btw - he had 2 years left on his contract, didn't he?)

The offer for Milner was apparently too good to turn down, but we'd have saved a lot more money than that by getting that extra point to keep us up (quite apart from the fact he went on to be worth a lot more money, and we wasted a load on Xisco and González). Thankfully it's turned out OK for us so far by us bouncing straight back up, but I fear Ashley now thinks that's an almost guaranteed safety net (which our neighbours at Middlesborough, Leeds, Hull, Sheffield United etc can vouch is an illusion).

Can I quote you on that later in the Summer?

We shed a load of players when we went down but we coped. The ones that were left were used to playing together, though,  and forged a really strong, determined, and united bond.

My concern is that we are unnecessarily ridding ourselves of that core too early. Why not keep the players until it's clear we don't need them anymore rather than taking gambles now for the sake of money we aren't desperate for? It would also surely give ourselves more chance of persuading Enrique to sign up again. (We didn't need to match Nolan's West Ham offer btw - he had 2 years left on his contract, didn't he?)

The offer for Milner was apparently too good to turn down, but we'd have saved a lot more money than that by getting that extra point to keep us up (quite apart from the fact he went on to be worth a lot more money, and we wasted a load on Xisco and González). Thankfully it's turned out OK for us so far by us bouncing straight back up, but I fear Ashley now thinks that's an almost guaranteed safety net (which our neighbours at Middlesborough, Leeds, Hull, Sheffield United etc can vouch is an illusion).

Yes, because it's correct. If the situation changes I'll change my opinion on it.

Notice you left out the bit where I said "we need to be wary of the pace of change", because I think we do. But there's no need to panic about it at the moment.

Anyway, we've discussed and debated each individual players sale to death, so I won't make the thread about that again. My views on Milner are well know (overrated and a great sale at the time). Every club sells players.

This place is lacking something the last few days, time for a contentious post to stir things up a bit I think.

Just musing on Pardew the other day and I came to the conclusion he was worryingly similar to Souness in at least one respect. He deals badly with personality clashes.

We all remember how Souness dealt with Bellamy, and on reflection, Gullit was no better with Rob Lee.

Ranger hasn't been given much of a chance by Pardew, a few appearances as sub and it looks like he couldn't wait to get rid. Hughton had time for him and was bringing him along gently, and can you imagine how Bobby Robson may have put an arm over the shoulder and encouraged him?

Ranger has personality problems no doubt, and if he fails as a footballer it will most likely be because of off-field issues interfering with his development rather than his talent wasting away.

Without any current Newcastle games to watch I've recently been re-watching some of last seasons games. In particular the sub appearances against Liverpool and Arsenal at home, he really changed the games. It's not all about scoring goals, his overall contribution was far more important - the constant harrying of defenders, the hold up play, the strength and pace. All were there.

Now Nolan, I suspected before the seasons end that Pardew wanted rid if possible. It was Nolan's dressing room. He had too much influence and it had to be curtailed if Pardew was going to be in control.

I'm not actually trying to paint Pardew as some heinous Bond villian here. Just a different take on his soundbytes, he's a bit of a spin doctor/politician type as far as I can tell. He'll build his own team spirit and win a lot of friends superficially, but my guess is you don't want to get on the wrong side of him. He would be smiling as he slides the knife in.

Guest neesy111

This place is lacking something the last few days, time for a contentious post to stir things up a bit I think.

Just musing on Pardew the other day and I came to the conclusion he was worryingly similar to Souness in at least one respect. He deals badly with personality clashes.

We all remember how Souness dealt with Bellamy, and on reflection, Gullit was no better with Rob Lee.

Ranger hasn't been given much of a chance by Pardew, a few appearances as sub and it looks like he couldn't wait to get rid. Hughton had time for him and was bringing him along gently, and can you imagine how Bobby Robson may have put an arm over the shoulder and encouraged him?

Ranger has personality problems no doubt, and if he fails as a footballer it will most likely be because of off-field issues interfering with his development rather than his talent wasting away.

Without any current Newcastle games to watch I've recently been re-watching some of last seasons games. In particular the sub appearances against Liverpool and Arsenal at home, he really changed the games. It's not all about scoring goals, his overall contribution was far more important - the constant harrying of defenders, the hold up play, the strength and pace. All were there.

Now Nolan, I suspected before the seasons end that Pardew wanted rid if possible. It was Nolan's dressing room. He had too much influence and it had to be curtailed if Pardew was going to be in control.

I'm not actually trying to paint Pardew as some heinous Bond villian here. Just a different take on his soundbytes, he's a bit of a spin doctor/politician type as far as I can tell. He'll build his own team spirit and win a lot of friends superficially, but my guess is you don't want to get on the wrong side of him. He would be smiling as he slides the knife in.

:no:

Guest BooBoo

I think when players have clear ability then they are worth persevering with, like Bellamy and Lee who were two stalwarts for the club. In situations like Bellamy who was an outspoken gobshite, good managers earn their corn.

Ranger's just a buffoon though who has done nowt for the club and despite a number of public dressing downs, continues to act in an unprofessional manner. In that situation, I fully support moving him on. The lack of ability and bad behaviour simply don't warrant special treatment by any manager.

Guest neesy111

I think when players have clear ability then they are worth persevering with, like Bellamy and Lee who were two stalwarts for the club. In situations like Bellamy who was an outspoken gobshite, good managers earn their corn.

Ranger's just a buffoon though who has done nowt for the club and despite a number of public dressing downs, continues to act in an unprofessional manner. In that situation, I fully support moving him on. The lack of ability and bad behaviour simply don't warrant special treatment by any manager.

Good Post and Agree.  Robson preserved with Bellamy, Robert etc as he knew their importance to the team.  Souness tried to make himself bigger the club imo, though he was helped by having the total backing of Shearer as well in the dressing room at that time.

Guest BooBoo

The two sub appearances by Nile v Liverpool and Arsenal were influential in that he ran around and unsettled the defences. There was still the glaring lack of anything close to composure.

Those two appearances are also more than counterbalanced by a whole host of ineffectual showings through the second half of last season.