Alan Pardew

JH

Guest BooBoo

Neesy- I think Shearer had far too much influence at the club and he certainly sided with Souness during the Bellamy row. The club revolved around him for years and a string of managers kow towed to him; quite frankly it wasn't healthy and I think a lot of his team mates resented it.

Neesy- I think Shearer had far too much influence at the club and he certainly sided with Souness during the Bellamy row. The club revolved around him for years and a string of managers kow towed to him; quite frankly it wasn't healthy and I think a lot of his team mates resented it.

Do you think a similar situation could have been developing with Nolan?

This place is lacking something the last few days, time for a contentious post to stir things up a bit I think.

Just musing on Pardew the other day and I came to the conclusion he was worryingly similar to Souness in at least one respect. He deals badly with personality clashes.

We all remember how Souness dealt with Bellamy, and on reflection, Gullit was no better with Rob Lee.

Ranger hasn't been given much of a chance by Pardew, a few appearances as sub and it looks like he couldn't wait to get rid. Hughton had time for him and was bringing him along gently, and can you imagine how Bobby Robson may have put an arm over the shoulder and encouraged him?

Ranger has personality problems no doubt, and if he fails as a footballer it will most likely be because of off-field issues interfering with his development rather than his talent wasting away.

Without any current Newcastle games to watch I've recently been re-watching some of last seasons games. In particular the sub appearances against Liverpool and Arsenal at home, he really changed the games. It's not all about scoring goals, his overall contribution was far more important - the constant harrying of defenders, the hold up play, the strength and pace. All were there.

Now Nolan, I suspected before the seasons end that Pardew wanted rid if possible. It was Nolan's dressing room. He had too much influence and it had to be curtailed if Pardew was going to be in control.

I'm not actually trying to paint Pardew as some heinous Bond villian here. Just a different take on his soundbytes, he's a bit of a spin doctor/politician type as far as I can tell. He'll build his own team spirit and win a lot of friends superficially, but my guess is you don't want to get on the wrong side of him. He would be smiling as he slides the knife in.

Pardews treatment of Nile during the season was pretty spot on as I saw it. A fair bit of arm around the shoulder, some warnings, some praise, some cold facts, followed by encouragement.

Nile himself at least twice came out and thanked Pardew for the way he had been with him and how it was now up to him to repay the faith.

After any number of chances Ranger has apparently fallen short on that promise, and I find little to blame Pardew for for that.

/That being said, hope this is the final kick he needs, and he stays and turns it around. Still like the lad.

Guest Howaythetoon
he's a bit of a spin doctor/politician type

Funny you mention that because that's how a West Ham supporter who is a client of ours speaks of pardew. Said he was a patter merchant who will eventually either piss the fans off with his patter, the board, the media, the players or all of them together. I think I've posted about this already in this thread. I get the impression Pardew will always say what he thinks is right without really having the conviction all the time. For example he could have told Nolan how much he rated him, wanted him in his starting lineup etc. but behind his back was probably thinking he'd be second choice and if a decent bid came in he'd accept it. I guess most managers can be like that or have to be but I remember what Gary Speed said about Sir Bobby's best trait and it was his honesty. He'd tell you it straight. I'm probably biased like because I don't rate him at all and don't like the fact he was somewhat linked to the departure of Hughton, but what I do like is his positivity and opstimism. As long as he can keep that going he'll get players performing and results but I worry about when he can no longer patter people, be it the players, the fans, media or even the board. I'm a believer that most people eventually see the woods for the trees and I think that will be Pardew's downfall especially where the players are concerned.

This place is lacking something the last few days, time for a contentious post to stir things up a bit I think.

Just musing on Pardew the other day and I came to the conclusion he was worryingly similar to Souness in at least one respect. He deals badly with personality clashes.

We all remember how Souness dealt with Bellamy, and on reflection, Gullit was no better with Rob Lee.

Ranger hasn't been given much of a chance by Pardew, a few appearances as sub and it looks like he couldn't wait to get rid. Hughton had time for him and was bringing him along gently, and can you imagine how Bobby Robson may have put an arm over the shoulder and encouraged him?

Ranger has personality problems no doubt, and if he fails as a footballer it will most likely be because of off-field issues interfering with his development rather than his talent wasting away.

Without any current Newcastle games to watch I've recently been re-watching some of last seasons games. In particular the sub appearances against Liverpool and Arsenal at home, he really changed the games. It's not all about scoring goals, his overall contribution was far more important - the constant harrying of defenders, the hold up play, the strength and pace. All were there.

Now Nolan, I suspected before the seasons end that Pardew wanted rid if possible. It was Nolan's dressing room. He had too much influence and it had to be curtailed if Pardew was going to be in control.

I'm not actually trying to paint Pardew as some heinous Bond villian here. Just a different take on his soundbytes, he's a bit of a spin doctor/politician type as far as I can tell. He'll build his own team spirit and win a lot of friends superficially, but my guess is you don't want to get on the wrong side of him. He would be smiling as he slides the knife in.

Pardews treatment of Nile during the season was pretty spot on as I saw it. A fair bit of arm around the shoulder, some warnings, some praise, some cold facts, followed by encouragement.

Nile himself at least twice came out and thanked Pardew for the way he had been with him and how it was now up to him to repay the faith.

After any number of chances Ranger has apparently fallen short on that promise, and I find little to blame Pardew for for that.

/That being said, hope this is the final kick he needs, and he stays and turns it around. Still like the lad.

Agree with this.

Funny you mention that because that's how a West Ham supporter who is a client of ours speaks of pardew. Said he was a patter merchant who will eventually either piss the fans off with his patter, the board, the media, the players or all of them together. I think I've posted about this already in this thread. I get the impression Pardew will always say what he thinks is right without really having the conviction all the time. For example he could have told Nolan how much he rated him, wanted him in his starting lineup etc. but behind his back was probably thinking he'd be second choice and if a decent bid came in he'd accept it. I guess most managers can be like that or have to be but I remember what Gary Speed said about Sir Bobby's best trait and it was his honesty. He'd tell you it straight. I'm probably biased like because I don't rate him at all and don't like the fact he was somewhat linked to the departure of Hughton, but what I do like is his positivity and opstimism. As long as he can keep that going he'll get players performing and results but I worry about when he can no longer patter people, be it the players, the fans, media or even the board. I'm a believer that most people eventually see the woods for the trees and I think that will be Pardew's downfall especially where the players are concerned.

That's pretty much the feeling I'm getting, he considers what is the most appropriate response and goes with it irrespective of the actual picture.

Surely telling a player you rate him and how important you think he is, even if you don't mean it and you're only saying it to keep his confidence up can't be seen as a bad thing?

EDIT - I don't see how you can lump Nile Ranger in with 2 great players for us in Bellamy and Rob Lee.

Funny you mention that because that's how a West Ham supporter who is a client of ours speaks of pardew. Said he was a patter merchant who will eventually either p*ss the fans off with his patter, the board, the media, the players or all of them together. I think I've posted about this already in this thread. I get the impression Pardew will always say what he thinks is right without really having the conviction all the time. For example he could have told Nolan how much he rated him, wanted him in his starting lineup etc. but behind his back was probably thinking he'd be second choice and if a decent bid came in he'd accept it. I guess most managers can be like that or have to be but I remember what Gary Speed said about Sir Bobby's best trait and it was his honesty. He'd tell you it straight. I'm probably biased like because I don't rate him at all and don't like the fact he was somewhat linked to the departure of Hughton, but what I do like is his positivity and opstimism. As long as he can keep that going he'll get players performing and results but I worry about when he can no longer patter people, be it the players, the fans, media or even the board. I'm a believer that most people eventually see the woods for the trees and I think that will be Pardew's downfall especially where the players are concerned.

Pardew is undoubtedly high on diplomatic skills, his introduction to Newcastle as a "London boy" in very hostile circumstances and the fact he's become generally well accepted proves that. So far he's been able to back up his "patter merchant" image with fairly impressive results despite limited resources. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses.

FWIW most Hammers I speak to seem to rate him and quite a few would have him back in an instant.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think Pardews comparison with Souness is unfair. Souness had no tactics, spent a fortune on average players, disliked disruptive influences however influential

Pardews treatment of Barton is a better comparison of Souness/Bellamy.

I truly believe Pardew wants to keep him. Regardless of  Nolans goal contribution last season he knows to have a dynamic midfield he needed to go. Barton is a very good player but as much to blame in the contract situation as the club in my view, if not more so. Pardew can cope with his directness as he is a man after his own heart and knows a good/fit Barton is an asset both on the field and off.

Pardew sees the worth in Barton and is willing to overlook his directness as his footballing ability outweighs this. Souness wasn't, he got rid of Bellamy as he didn't like the lack of control and questioning attitude

I rate AP more than I thought I would, but this is a massive test. Changing an predominantly English dressing room to a multicultural/French dressing room is a big change. His test is when the chips are down can he inspire the foreigners to dig in and fight like the old guard

Guest neesy111

Agree 100%, I never liked Shearer having more influence and power than any other player.  Fact is if he thought he was bigger than the club then I would have had him out of the door ASAP.

I think Pardews comparison with Souness is unfair. Souness had no tactics, spent a fortune on average players, disliked disruptive influences however influential

Pardews treatment of Barton is a better comparison of Souness/Bellamy.

I truly believe Pardew wants to keep him. Regardless of  Nolans goal contribution last season he knows to have a dynamic midfield he needed to go. Barton is a very good player but as much to blame in the contract situation as the club in my view, if not more so. Pardew can cope with his directness as he is a man after his own heart and knows a good/fit Barton is an asset both on the field and off.

Pardew sees the worth in Barton and is willing to overlook his directness as his footballing ability outweighs this. Souness wasn't, he got rid of Bellamy as he didn't like the lack of control and questioning attitude

I rate AP more than I thought I would, but this is a massive test. Changing an predominantly English dressing room to a multicultural/French dressing room is a big change. His test is when the chips are down can he inspire the foreigners to dig in and fight like the old guard

Therein lies the big question and possible risk for next season.

Overall though I'm pleased he has instigated it because while the old guard served us well over the last 2 seasons they could not take it any further. Things needed to be shaken up if we're going to kick on and progress and he seems to be looking for players to move to the next level.

Agree with this.

Not having a go at Pardew here or anything as ultimately only Ranger is responsible for his development, but people said his comments about Ranger would be judged on how effective they were. Well, Ranger's high point in the season was coming on against Liverpool and then being slated for a start at Birmingham before the match was called off. Then Pardew made his comments, and his form and confidence dive bombed. It may have made him turn up to work a minute or two earlier but it looks to have rattled him in other respects. Clearly didn't work imo.

Ignoring the more precise points about Souness and Ranger, this is news??

Agree with this.

Not having a go at Pardew here or anything as ultimately only Ranger is responsible for his development, but people said his comments about Ranger would be judged on how effective they were. Well, Ranger's high point in the season was coming on against Liverpool and then being slated for a start at Birmingham before the match was called off. Then Pardew made his comments, and his form and confidence dive bombed. It may have made him turn up to work a minute or two earlier but it looks to have rattled him in other respects. Clearly didn't work imo.

I think his problem was the longer he went without a goal the more pressure built up on him to find the back of the net rather than Pardew's comments hitting his confidence, although that's just a matter of opinion.

I agree with BottledDog that the club has tried all ways to get him to sort himself off the field while he's shown little improvement on the field since he's been here, for that reason I wouldn't blame the club for moving him on and freeing up his position in the pecking order for another emerging youngster.

It will be interesting to see what the lad does with his career if he does leave.

Guest BooBoo

I'm sure Pardew's the main reason the lad can't strike or head a ball.

:facepalm:

Of course he is....

Another load of 'Ronaldo words of wisdom' bollocks

Good God.

It ridiculous to make comparisons predicated on Nile fucking Ranger. Did Sir Bobby deal 'badly with personality clashes?' Because i'm telling you now, he'd have had a cunt like Ranger out the door this summer.

Souness was ultimately driven by his ego and emotions. Pardew's a far more intelligent manager from what i've seen from him so far.