Alan Pardew

JH

I think we all remember him saying Carroll wouldn't be sold tbh.

A £35 million offer and a transfer request can be a game changer.

It's the re-investment angle I'm now focussing on. I wouldn't believe Pardew saying every day that he's got plenty money to reinvest until I actually saw it, but it's noticeable that he's now saying much smaller scale stuff.

Why have you got Lambias as your avatar picture, btw? Is he a hero of yours?

So you're focussing on the re-investment angle but decided to post the multiple quotes from Pardew where he said Carroll wouldn't be sold before he put a transfer request in and Liverpool offered a ridiculous amount of money. Nice.

Didn't Pardew also come out shortly after and cleared up his original quotes stating the fee would cover fee's and wages?

I interpret his comments to mean that 2 more will come in being a left back and a striker which will take our squad to it's 25 man capacity, of course I'd expect any outgoings to be replaced with upgrades where possible on a 1 in 1 out basis after that.

Derek's not a bad bloke. Why have you got Beardsley as your avatar? Not only did the bloke walk out on the club to play for Liverpool but sold out to the Cockney Mafia this time around. Scandalous.

Derek's not a bad bloke.  Based on what?

Guest TheSummerOf69

So you're focussing on the re-investment angle but decided to post the multiple quotes from Pardew where he said Carroll wouldn't be sold before he put a transfer request in and Liverpool offered a ridiculous amount of money. Nice.

I'm looking at the re-investment angle and worrying that it is coming to lie in the same context as Pardew's past utterances, yes.

Derek's not a bad bloke. Why have you got Beardsley as your avatar? Not only did the bloke walk out on the club to play for Liverpool but sold out to the Cockney Mafia this time around. Scandalous.

Heh. Beardsley was sold at a time when the board were wanting the cash in and didn't want to pay him anywhere near his worth. Of all the local England players that left (Waddle, Beardsley, Gascoigne, Carroll) he was the one who I feel was least agitating to be away. But that's by the by - he's my avatar because he's the best player I've seen in the flesh.

And he did it for us. And over two different spells.

I was asking about your avatar only out of interest. I could though do with hearing some positive stuff about Llambias as my impressions of him are far from that.

I'll give you a :) and pretend to get the joke, as you can't seriously be trying to put him up against Beardsley in a Toon heroes play-off, and your use of "Cockney Mafia" suggests you're not really a "Derek" devotee.

So obvious that Pardew has ZERO influence on players coming or going. He'll work with what he is given.

Not obvious to me exactly, but I'm inclined to believe the same. Or at least his options are filtered to such an extent that his options aren't really his own (which is true to most managers of non-Man City/Chelsea clubs, but more so here).

It's just the way modern management works TBH, you have to work with what the scouts can find and what the board will sanction. I'm sure Pardew understands and accepts this situation, I don't think it's anything to be worried about at all.

That's just too sensible to fly in Football Fan world.

So obvious that Pardew has ZERO influence on players coming or going. He'll work with what he is given.

:sadnod:

It's not so obvious but it has become apparent especially after the Nolan sale.

“They won’t be in before July 4, but we hope to get one in before the tour of America – and there could well be one after the tour.”

My guess is Taylor is the first and N'Zogbia is the second. Obviously things can change, but I think that's what we're looking at right now.

Guest Antec

“They won’t be in before July 4, but we hope to get one in before the tour of America – and there could well be one after the tour.”

My guess is Taylor is the first and N'Zogbia is the second. Obviously things can change, but I think that's what we're looking at right now.

Still desperately need a striker

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Yeah I'm finding Pardew's recent comments about numbers worrying too. There's still time to bring in faces but as others have said it's not good enough to simply cover the positions of those you've sold. Pardew also talks about having Ben Arfa and Gosling as new signings but I'm sorry both are coming back from serious, serious injuries ffs! Gosling's barely kicked a ball in two years or whatever!!!

Someone's description of Pardew being a spin doctor is fairly accurate, he says a lot of the right things but if you break it down there's cracks everywhere.

I'm still waiting to be convinced in this window.

He's kicked quite a few balls.

Dunno if this has been posted:

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110701/leading-the-team-and-leading-the-line_2281670_2384781

I have ideas but I will probably pick [the captaincy] with a week to go.

We will see how pre-season unfolds and see how the squad assembles itself, how it looks and what shape it is in.

I will then take a view from there because it is an important role, and possibly a few players could wear the armband during the pre-season friendlies.

The number nine shirt is equally important. I will leave the number nine as late as I can.

I know just what that shirt means to this football club, but there will be a few contenders who could wear that shirt and do it justice.

It is an important shirt and I might think of giving it to a player who doesn't get weighed down by it. I will have to assess the characters of the players to make sure that doesn't happen.

I think he has slightly more influence on those who are being signed, but still has to work within very tight criteria.

You are right though in regards to players being sold, it seems.

Guest WashyGeordie

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110701/leading-the-team-and-leading-the-line_2281670_2384781

We will see how pre-season unfolds and see how the squad assembles itself, how it looks and what shape it is in.

I will then take a view from there because it is an important role, and possibly a few players could wear the armband during the pre-season friendlies.

The number nine shirt is equally important. I will leave the number nine as late as I can.

I know just what that shirt means to this football club, but there will be a few contenders who could wear that shirt and do it justice.

It is an important shirt and I might think of giving it to a player who doesn't get weighed down by it. I will have to assess the characters of the players to make sure that doesn't happen.

Shola #9 then.

If Barton's still here he might get the armband IMO.

Guest TheSummerOf69

As long as it's not the young reserve Abeid (signed today, after a trial last season) and then Taylor, for a grand total of £1m!

It's a sign of how effective they've been in crushing expectation that we're pinning our big transfer hopes on a player that could still have been with us if Ashley hadn't taken a ridiculous gamble in appointing JoKe in'ere.

Guest Chubby Jason

Anything to read into from the words "there will be" a few contenders for the number 9 shirt rather than "there are"?

Nah prob not

Pardew is not clever enough to give such careful consideration to every sentence he speaks. I don't think we'll be signing any top class strikers this summer.

I still think it'll be Coloccini.

It's a good shout. He is a guaranteed starter if available, he has respect, he knows the club well and he doesn't mouth off in public. He probably earns more than any other player as well. Top dog...

Guest Antec

Anything to read into from the words "there will be" a few contenders for the number 9 shirt rather than "there are"?

Nah prob not

Pardew is not clever enough to give such careful consideration to every sentence he speaks. I don't think we'll be signing any top class strikers this summer.

We wont be, they usually cost big money, hopefully our price range will suffice

If Barton's still here he might get the armband IMO.

Guest Chubby Jason

It's a bizarre transfer model that we seems to be adopting. We're more than happy to sell our best striker for £35million+ but are unwilling to invest even a 3rd of that amount on a replacement for said player. What a fantastic philosophy to adapt when we are in an unprecedented position to use these funds to strengthen the squad and get back to being a top-6 side.

Will never happen under this disgusting ownership.

It's a bizarre transfer model that we seems to be adopting. We're more than happy to sell our best striker for £35million+ but are unwilling to invest even a 3rd of that amount on a replacement for said player. What a fantastic philosophy to adapt when we are in an unprecedented position to use these funds to strengthen the squad and get back to being a top-6 side.

Who says we aren't prepared to invest a third of it in a replacement?

weird