Alan Pardew

JH

Deserves shooting with shit for playing Lovenkrands, especially on the right wing, but:

1) He got a reaction out of the players after HT, and

2) His subs swayed the game in your favour.

So from the outside looking in, overall, Mr Pardew did well again tonight.

Deserves shooting with shit for playing Lovenkrands, especially on the right wing, but:

Recovered well but we shouldn't have been in the position to start off with, why weren't they pumped from the start? As for Lovenkrands, words fail me. 6/10

Recovered well but we shouldn't have been in the position to start off with, why weren't they pumped from the start? As for Lovenkrands, words fail me. 6/10

Yerp - can't be ignored that he dug himself a hole with Lovenkrands on the right wing, but equally credit should be given for him turning things around and getting a real reaction out of your players.

Yerp - can't be ignored that he dug himself a hole with Lovenkrands on the right wing, but equally credit should be given for him turning things around and getting a real reaction out of your players.

:thup: 

Guest BooBoo

He's generally quite good at changing things for the better when it's not going our way. Whether it be with half time team talks or tactical changes he seems decent at influencing games from the bench.

He's picking teams to play long ball football. I don't know if that's because he thinks the full backs are too shit to bring the ball out so he instructs them to whack the ball downfield or he just doesn't understand that passing football starts from the goalkeeper.

He's generally quite good at changing things for the better when it's not going our way. Whether it be with half time team talks or tactical changes he seems decent at influencing games from the bench.

:nods:

He's picking teams to play long ball football. I don't know if that's because he thinks the full backs are too shit to bring the ball out so he instructs them to whack the ball downfield or he just doesn't understand that passing football starts from the goalkeeper.

Good point about the full backs.

Guest BooBoo

I think Pardew bashers would have hammered him either way tonight:

Play an experienced line up: FFS Pardew, give the kids a chance!

Play the kids: FFS Pardew, take the competition seriously, we've won nowt since 1969!

Play the kids: FFS Pardew, take the competition seriously, we've won nowt since 1969!

I'm not a Pardew basher but his inability to get the team playing from the back is a concern. He won't keep his job if he persists in playing Allardyce football with a team increasingly made up of French footballers used to technical football. I'm being generous in assuming he's not got good enough full backs to bring the ball out, but his GK is kicking balls long to the centre forwards as well. And as Tooj pointed out in another thread, Swansea have worse players yet still managed to play nice attractive football.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I'm not a Pardew basher but his inability to get the team playing from the back is a concern. He won't keep his job if he persists in playing Allardyce football with a team increasingly made up of French footballers used to technical football. I'm being generous in assuming he's not got good enough full backs to bring the ball out, but his GK is kicking balls long to the centre forwards as well. And as Tooj pointed out in another thread, Swansea have worse players yet still managed to play nice attractive football.

Disagree there

Disagree there

With what specifically?

He's picking teams to play long ball football. I don't know if that's because he thinks the full backs are too s*** to bring the ball out so he instructs them to whack the ball downfield or he just doesn't understand that passing football starts from the goalkeeper.

Good point about the full backs.

We've often had trouble with our defenders getting the ball out over the past few seasons. I think you're spot on that they've been instructed to just dump the ball out for the reasons you stated. It doesn't bother me so much, so long as it's working and we're conceding less goals.

The opposition tonight had a lot to do with how we played, credit to them they pressed very high and forced us out of our stride. Don't know if it is a small pitch but they made it look like one.

Premiership teams won't do that to us but of course will have more ability to hurt us.

The opposition tonight had a lot to do with how we played, credit to them they pressed very high and forced us out of our stride. Don't know if it is a small pitch but they made it look like one.

Premiership teams won't do that to us but of course will have more ability to hurt us.

It's a fair point but how often do you see good sides forced out of their stride? I've watched Man U, Chelsea, City and Spurs and their players don't get rushed out of their passing game. You could say they are better teams, but we were two divisions better than Scunthorpe on paper. I think if Pardew picks the right players and gives them confidence to play like Keegan did for example, we'd see improvements quickly.

It's a fair point but how often do you see good sides forced out of their stride? I've watched Man U, Chelsea, City and Spurs and their players don't get rushed out of their passing game. You could say they are better teams, but we were two divisions better than Scunthorpe on paper. I think if Pardew picks the right players and gives them confidence to play like Keegan did for example, we'd see improvements quickly.

We did beat them at the end of the day mate, and deservedly so.

Lower league teams have been upsetting us (and many others teams too) with their gung-ho approach to cup ties as long as I've been watching football. Just glad we showed strong character and prevailed this time, but credit to Scunny they did a good job on us first half.

We did beat them at the end of the day mate, and deservedly so.

Lower league teams have been upsetting us (and many others teams too) with their gung-ho approach to cup ties as long as I've been watching football. Just glad we showed strong character and prevailed this time, but credit to Scunny they did a good job on us first half.

Yes it was a good result. Scunny should have been picked off and destroyed on the counter when they were pressing us but that's just my opinion. It takes quality footballers to do that and I think the side we picked in the first half was unbalanced and contributed to the confusion.

I'm glad he has faith in the younger players on the bench. Many managers would bring on shitty 'experience' or make no changes at all. Vuckic and especially Shola Junior changed the game for us.