Alan Pardew

JH

As a manager the worst thing you can do at St James Park is get off to a flying start because the Geordies swiftly raise expectations to unrealistic levels which makes the inevitable disappointment likely to lead to a sacking swiftly.

:clap:

They're right like. The best thing you can hope for as a manager at Newcastle is that you lose every game...

The trouble with Pardew's teams come after a year or so. This is when effects of his management style come about. He produces teams who have an inflated sense of their own greatness and abilities as players. The players then think they only have to turn up on the pitch to win and don't work hard enough. West Ham fans will tell you the same and it happened at Charlton.

Seems the total opposite to me, we've gradually improved as a team and I can't remember a Newcastle side working this hard collectively.

In addition, Pardew talks a good game and but when things start to go wrong he won't take any responsibility for it. That attitude also rubs off on the players.

Again, I just can't agree with that.  He seems a very positive man and calls it as it is.  Admitted he got it wrong against QPR this season and Stoke and Everton last season.  Always praises the players, very rare that he blames someone else, even against Blackburn in the cup, he stopped short of saying we lost because of the ref, like Warnock, AVB or Fergie would.  Instead, he just alluded to some poor decisions and the 'breaks' which is a favourite of his, along with FUCKING SUPERB  :lol:

Might have jumped the gun, but I think he's won me over!  Still room for improvement, but last season and this he's been far better than I originally expected.

I'd love to know what it was that Pards did that made all journalists think he was this arrogant, brash guy with a huge ego.  They all seem to allude to various incidents, but never really explain why he was so disliked and give a decent reason.  I am trying to think back to when he managed Reading and West Ham and I can't recall him being particularly objectionable.

I'd love to know what it was that Pards did that made all journalists think he was this arrogant, brash guy with a huge ego.  They all seem to allude to various incidents, but never really explain why he was so disliked and give a decent reason.  I am trying to think back to when he managed Reading and West Ham and I can't recall him being particularly objectionable.

I always like him when he was manager of both those clubs. From what I remember, his manner in front of the press was pretty similar, maybe a bit more mature now. Either way, what he's doing now is working, and I don't see many people in the Premier League I would rather have as manager.

Moved to Newcastle and did well ?

Just heard that he was asked to leave Floritas. p*ssed out of his tree.

That's basically the extent of it. Had a mate who was in there, text me at 11ish to tell me Pards was there with 2 fellas and a lass and looked completely wasted. Was led out by security less than an hour later.

The trouble with Pardew's teams come after a year or so. This is when effects of his management style come about. He produces teams who have an inflated sense of their own greatness and abilities as players. The players then think they only have to turn up on the pitch to win and don't work hard enough. West Ham fans will tell you the same and it happened at Charlton.

Seems the total opposite to me, we've gradually improved as a team and I can't remember a Newcastle side working this hard collectively.

In addition, Pardew talks a good game and but when things start to go wrong he won't take any responsibility for it. That attitude also rubs off on the players.

Again, I just can't agree with that.  He seems a very positive man and calls it as it is.  Admitted he got it wrong against QPR this season and Stoke and Everton last season.  Always praises the players, very rare that he blames someone else, even against Blackburn in the cup, he stopped short of saying we lost because of the ref, like Warnock, AVB or Fergie would.  Instead, he just alluded to some poor decisions and the 'breaks' which is a favourite of his, along with f***ing SUPERB  :lol:

Might have jumped the gun, but I think he's won me over!  Still room for improvement, but last season and this he's been far better than I originally expected.

He's probably changed over time.  He admitted himself in one interview he got things wrong in the past and has changed parts of his attitude etc.  In his time with us you can hardly fault him.

Again, I just can't agree with that.  He seems a very positive man and calls it as it is.  Admitted he got it wrong against QPR this season and Stoke and Everton last season.  Always praises the players, very rare that he blames someone else, even against Blackburn in the cup, he stopped short of saying we lost because of the ref, like Warnock, AVB or Fergie would.  Instead, he just alluded to some poor decisions and the 'breaks' which is a favourite of his, along with f***ing SUPERB  :lol:

He's probably changed over time.  He admitted himself in one interview he got things wrong in the past and has changed parts of his attitude etc.  In his time with us you can hardly fault him.

I have heard him say that, i also heard a good point raised on the guardian football podcast when I used to listen to it, that Pardew has that look of determination back in his eye that he had at West Ham. He knows this is his big chance and he's been humble (yet confident) enough to know that he needs to be at 100% all of the time to make it work and that involves self evaluation. That's in contrast to the likes of Souness and Allardyce who took the big job and thought 'right, i'm here on merit, just need to follow the formula' rather than trying to improve themselves. You can't be involved with a group of players on a day to basis and ask them to keep their standards up and improve if you're not committed to doing it yourself.

I have heard him say that, i also heard a good point raised on the guardian football podcast when I used to listen to it, that Pardew has that look of determination back in his eye that he had at West Ham. He knows this is his big chance and he's been humble (yet confident) enough to know that he needs to be at 100% all of the time to make it work and that involves self evaluation. That's in contrast to the likes of Souness and Allardyce who took the big job and thought 'right, i'm here on merit, just need to follow the formula' rather than trying to improve themselves. You can't be involved with a group of players on a day to basis and ask them to keep their standards up and improve if you're not committed to doing it yourself.

Very good post. Self honesty and self evaluation are 2 key attributes of a good manager in any walk of life. If you talk about being the dog's bollocks, then you need to damn well show it, otherwise losing credibility and hence leadership of the team around you.

Went on a stadium tour yesterday. The tour guide fella was raving about Pardew and how he takes time to speak to everyone, and just how much preparation he puts into every game. He said the general feeling around the ground among the non playing staff of St James' was that he's the best manager since Sir Bobby by far (not taking into account results, just simply his involvement in everything).

Which guy took you round? Was he an incredibly knowledgeable old bloke?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Went on a stadium tour yesterday. The tour guide fella was raving about Pardew and how he takes time to speak to everyone, and just how much preparation he puts into every game. He said the general feeling around the ground among the non playing staff of St James' was that he's the best manager since Sir Bobby by far (not taking into account results, just simply his involvement in everything).

Which guy took you round? Was he an incredibly knowledgeable old bloke?

Brian? Was top class back in '07.

Great to hear that. Hope he'll stay here at least as long as Ashley is here. By far the best manager Ashley could get at the moment imo.

I'm always encouraged by tales like this. It genuinely sounds like Pardew is working his socks off to do the best possible job. In the recent age, I can only think of KK and SBR who struck me as equally committed to the cause. We've had too many journeymen managers in the dugout who have always given me the impression that they thought it was just another job. Dalglish struck me for example as never really being into the club. Souness and Roeder probably knew that they were never going to succeed and Fat Sam never had a clue.