Alan Pardew

JH

Our buying policy at the moment might not particularly suit Pardew. We like to recruit young talent from abroad, whereas Pardew strikes me as being a fairly typical old school English manager. There's nothing wrong with sitting back and hitting on the break, we used to do it brilliantly under SBR. Then we used to counter with pace and precision, these days we whack it long and hope for the best. It's all about personnel and putting the right players together to execute a plan.

I would put my house on Sir Bobby or Keegan having our team fighting for 4th because they would both get the best out of the players that we currently have, Pardew isn't doing that.

That's bollocks that mind.

Our buying policy at the moment might not particularly suit Pardew. We like to recruit young talent from abroad, whereas Pardew strikes me as being a fairly typical old school English manager. There's nothing wrong with sitting back and hitting on the break, we used to do it brilliantly under SBR. Then we used to counter with pace and precision, these days we whack it long and hope for the best. It's all about personnel and putting the right players together to execute a plan.

I would put my house on Sir Bobby or Keegan having our team fighting for 4th because they would both get the best out of the players that we currently have, Pardew isn't doing that.

Simpson, R.Taylor, Obertan & Best are barely Premier League footballers and he's had us top 6 with them for the most part. I'm sure if Pardew had Ginola/Robert, Solano/Gillespie & Bellamy/Beardsley then we probably would be top 4.

He's the fucking idiot who's deciding to play Taylor, Obertan and Best. If we had Beardsley/Solano et all he probably still would aswell

Which players isn't he getting the best out of?

Santon, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Jonas, Shane Ferguson....there's a few he could work with if he had a different mentality.

I agree with Andy's post, but would also supplement it by saying, we're still going through a period of transition. There are facets of the Championship winning side that have been tested and deemed not fit for the Premier League. Taylor, Simpson, Lovenkrands have all at some point shown their abilities do not match our aspirations. I'd have loved us to replace them all at once, but sadly we haven't. I can see us being much stronger come the start of next season when we've got two ball playing fullbacks and decent wing options.

Depends on whether or not we can keep our quality players. We struggled and ultimately failed to hold on to Enrique and Carroll. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen again.

Absolutely. There's the nucleus of an extremely good side, there's no doubt about that. With the outgoings and incomings of the summer, we've improved, but only slightly. We need to build on it as soon as the January window opens.

It's all obvious. Everyone knows this - the board included. They're not stupid people; they know that if we keep our good players and sign more of them, we'll get better. We have the capabilities to do this; it's a question of whether or not Ashley and Co care about the football.

Yorkie - Ashley now has the ground packed out, the team are 'safe', so why should he invest given his past history? We all know what the man's modus operandi is!

Simpson, R.Taylor, Obertan & Best are barely Premier League footballers and he's had us top 6 with them for the most part. I'm sure if Pardew had Ginola/Robert, Solano/Gillespie & Bellamy/Beardsley then we probably would be top 4.

No way in hell, what an insult to Keegan and Bobby. I take that as a personal attack on them.

:lol:

What a pile of wank this forum is when we lose.

I don't think he got the best out of any of them tonight.  On current form the only ones who are excelling are Coloccini and Ba, I think every other outfield player could do better or be replaced by somebody in the squad who could.

Krul, I’ve no problem with him, he’s playing as well as he can.

Ryan Taylor needs to be replaced by Santon.

Simpson, had a mare but generally isn’t that bad at defending but he’s rarely gets any help from Obertan.

Williamson needs more games, I think playing Kadar instead of Perch or Simpson in the centre of our defence would have inproved us for 1 or 2 games.

Coloccini is playing well more often than not.

Tiote often bypassed when the ball goes over his head and would benefit from a more passing game, same goes for Cabaye.

Obertan, no comment, should be dropped and on current form dropped for either Jonas or Ben Arfa.

Jonas needs to move forward and that will only happen when Ryan Taylor leaves the team and Jonas can strike up a partnership with Santon who can actually defend.

Ba is playing brilliant but might/will do even better if he gets the service.

Vuckic needs more games but has shown promise and shouldn’t have gone off when he did.

Guest Dontooner

Santon, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Jonas, Shane Ferguson....there's a few he could work with if he had a different mentality.

Thats only if he has the brains and system to play in progressive passing team where these group of players will finally!! be made good use of . How many games in 2011 alone where i think the opposition is playing more accomplished and possession footy then us WITH MUCH LESSER PLAYERS!

We never built on our good start by changing the team when the going was good and incorporating our better players.

Blind loyalty to the shit players and has no idea how to get our better players into the team and playing a better style of football. Also people like Jonas look completely burned out and the injuries are stacking up.

I've got certain sympathy because the lack funds means we have far too many limited footballers in the squad and as such he only has so much to work with. However it's inexcusable that he can't get more out of what we do have.

Good post.

He is Mr Cautious. Literally won't take a risk, both in terms of the football we play and the personnel he selects. The Ben Arfa situation is a perfect example of it... I thought for a while it was a personality clash, but now I think he's just scared to play him in case he loses the ball occasionally when he's trying to win the game -- it's not a personality clash but a philosophy clash. Ben Arfa plays to win games, Pardew picks teams to not get beat.

Interesting post. That Wolves game was the telling one for me. Cruising at 2-0, they're on the ropes - what do we do? Retreat.

Lucky (and I mean that) to escape with three points in the end. Glossed over at the time.

Not the first time it's happened either. The constant James Perch/Alan Smith substitutions that have occured over the course of 2011 are evidence of it as well.

No way in hell, what an insult to Keegan and Bobby. I take that as a personal attack on them.

:lol:

What a pile of wank this forum is when we lose.

Seriously what do you expect when we lose comfortably without even looking like we were at the races? Kevin Nolan feel-good stats will only take you so far.

Do I have to start naming players who are not Ginola/Robert, Solano/Gillespie & Bellamy/Beardsley?  Pardew probably wouldn't pick most of those anyway.

Andy O'Brien, Steve Caldwell, Darren Ambrose, Michael Bridges, Andy Griffin and Wayne Quinn for starters.

That's bollocks that mind.

It's not, both would have played to our strengths and we wouldn't bypass what should be a strong midfield.

But Steven Taylor would have still got injured and Raylor/Simpson would still be garbage.

He's made a lot of mistakes in the past few games, but we're 7th with a squad that is basically incapable of finishing any higher.

Good point but IMO it's slightly frustrating we're not using that as we should be and attacking teams rather than going looking for a point. The position we're in there isn't a great deal to lose. His remit is top 10 IIRC, we're miles ahead of that at the mo and have been for ages yet we've let it slip IMO partly by lack of adventure.

But Steven Taylor would have still got injured and Raylor/Simpson would still be garbage.

One of Ryan Taylor/Simpson doesn't need to be playing. 

Aye fair point.

Still though, if your comment was "Keegan/Sir Bob are better managers than Pardew", i would agree. But i don't think either of them would have had us in the Top 4 with the players at our disposal.

Aye fair point.

Still though, if your comment was "Keegan/Sir Bob are better managers than Pardew", i would agree. But i don't think either of them would have had us in the Top 4 with the players at our disposal.

I didn't say in, I said fighting for which is a big difference.

One of Ryan Taylor/Simpson doesn't need to be playing. 

Aye fair point.

You can't say that

He's made a lot of mistakes in the past few games, but we're 7th with a squad that is basically incapable of finishing any higher.

But we're capable of playing with a much better plan. That's the only job we hold him accountable for really.

Pardew has to take credit for the first 14 games. He handles the media well and created a good atmosphere for the squad.

BUT.....

He makes the exact same mistakes again and again. His persistance with Obertan and Raylor is, quite frankly, embarassing. His substitutions are mostly terrible and he'll give Sammy and Vuckic more minutes than Ben Arfa. Our tactics weren't working against WBA and he did nothing about it. We have a good team with fantastic individuals....7th place with Colo, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Ba, Jonas and Krul isn't overachieving. The worst thing is knowing that no matter how obvious these problems are, they won't be resolved soon.

But the alternative if we sacked him would be worse. Terrifying, isn't it?

Pardew has to take credit for the first 14 games. He handles the media well and created a good atmosphere for the squad.

BUT.....

He makes the exact same mistakes again and again. His persistance with Obertan and Raylor is, quite frankly, embarassing. His substitutions are mostly terrible and he'll give Sammy and Vuckic more minutes than Ben Arfa. Our tactics weren't working against WBA and he did nothing about it. We have a good team with fantastic individuals....7th place with Colo, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Ba and Krul isn't overachieving. The worst thing is knowing that no matter how obvious these problems are, they won't be resolved soon.

But the alternative if we sacked him would be worse. Terrifying, isn't it?

Pardew is one of a pool of managers who could largely be described as "meh" - totally unremarkable, might do a decent job if they wind up at the right club at the right time, might get you lumbered at the arse end of the table.

Unfortunately, bar the top six, we're all fishing for managers from that pool. Strikes me that, though he undoubtedly has his failings, Pardew has done pretty well for you lot this far.

Given that, I reckon your last line is spot on.