Alan Pardew

JH

Playing for a draw against Derby, wasn't it.  Dreadful.

For me, while that was awful, what summed up Allardyce was the tactical set up v Liverpool. After twenty minutes it was clear the players had absolutely no idea what they were supposed to be doing. Was horrible to watch.

that and saying that being three goals down at home to pompey we'd best just give in, despite getting one back with 70mins to go.

Guest Dontooner

Allardyce is a better manager than Pardew whose football philsophies is actually quite similar to that of our former manager, stats based, percentages football, solid defence, direct football. We've put in many a poor performance under Pardew as we did under Allardyce. Pardew is just more slick and more likeable if you like as a personality. Big Sam was welcomed here with open arms by most on his appointment but as soon as we got a billionaire owner fans' attitudes started to change and he become quite the scapegoat. That said, some of the results and performances under him helped to underline fans' attitude towards him which didn't help his cause. I still believe, we'd have stayed up under him and would have went onto become a solid consistent top 8 side at least.... which fast forward to this very days is probably our true level under Pardew.

Sam was only better on paper, he did a horrible job here and would never want him back. His negative football totally killed any sort of passing game left in us and turn us fundamentally into hoof only team. There was no invention in the team and we created few open chances. Although we might not have got relegated if we kept him but still for all the hit and misses, we are in a much better position now.

As my standard measure, i prefer to see whats goes on , on the pitch. How we score goals, create chances , utilize space , tactics, counter, defend while under pressure or defend while being countered. Sometimes i think blatant results dont tell the whole story, how we play on the pitch would likely give a better signal where is our consistency. Honestly, i harbor no good feelings for Pardew, hopes he keeps the team together for another season or two and progressively get a manager which wants to play attacking football.(Keegan & Bobby type) Aka Swansea which results and table position is worst off than us but their football and philosophy is just much more positive.

Sam Allardyce neither had results at Newcastle or produced any on the pitch, happy to see the back of him and would never want to welcome another manager which wants a negative brand of football. Maybe its only me but Newcastle for me had always being the entertainers or an attacking team which fans loved and flair players thrived. This has someway faded and we are much more industrialize. Still hope we can go back to our old philosophy

Guest Dontooner

Actually to  sum up my post above, i would just like us to try to play good football while picking up results, an attacking mentality that scares teams.

Guest Dontooner

How anyone can begrudge Pardew's style of play or anything else when we're sitting 5th in the table, one point off 4th, with 14 games left is beyond me.

We have been remarkably resilient this season - look at the teams we've put out there from time to time and still won games.  We are not fragile.  We've won at some truly diabolical grounds this year, like Stoke and Blackburn, playing ugly but effective football.  The results are brilliant. 

We won a match with Danny Guthrie, James Perch, and Ryan Taylor starting in midfield.  Who on earth would have expected that?  Pardew's clearly an excellent man manager and a pretty solid tactician.  Like every manager, Wenger, AVB, Fergie, and Mancini included, he's made tactical errors and personnel blunders.  He's also made halftime adjustments on more than one occasion that have won us points.

He wants to forge a strong squad.  That's why he bigs up squad players all the time.  He wants to instill a work ethic into every player, rightly or wrongly, and is demanding the same out of HBA.  I think we could capably handle a flair player like Hatem when we have Tiote/Cabaye in the starting XI and hardworking forwards running off him.  But since we haven't had that, solidity is more valued.  I can understand that even if I don't fully agree.  He has earned the right not to be second-guessed all the time.

There are areas in which he needs to improve but he has exceeded my expectations to a mind-boggling degree. 

Maybe Pardew has gain quite a couple of fans since we are fifth on the table, maybe his exceeding great results have people expectations fulfill and maybe we should start comparing Pardew to Wenger, Fergie, Mourinhno on tactical mistakes.

However, this is still not how i see Newcastle being developing in this two years. The quality of our players improved and the financial prudence of Newcastle United improved as well, i have seen it as a change of Policy/Philosophy of the board and owner as a whole. They might have fuck us up , have no respect for us and wretch us from the beginning but credit to them, they are turning us over. It might be due to them having  a better understanding of of how to run a football club rather than all the denise wise bullshit.

At least for now Newcastle is great in the transfer window and getting real quality players in the team. I cant see how Pardew has many hands in the transfer marker as its not his job to get players over the line. This is quite apparent i hope and hope this continues even with new managers we employ.On this side of the page the club and board has won me over a 100% on how they identity and value players.

On the footballing side, Pardew is managing players of improved quality which the board think should improve the team, We should be going from strength to strength given the vast improvement of the players which is showing in the table and results.

Now not just HBA , most of the flair players in the team are under performing or are not fitted into our industrialize team now. I have conceded the fact that Pardew is limited and prefers his direct style. The same can't be said for the players and some of us fans which might think Obertan, Ryan talyor , Shola, Perch and some other players dont deserve the credit or the chance ahead of others in certain positions.

At least on the international Basis these player are not getting a sniff into their national teams and currently dont look likely to do so any time soon.

Now we are at the cross roads of choosing a more industrialize style as we play or changing it into a more creative style that could incorporate the Flair players.

I for one have saw a glimmer of hope when Pardew played Jonas as the free role in the 4-3-3 and still hope he persist with it as it probably the only time i have seen the flair players given a chance to express themselves. It became fairly obviously ,Jonas is much more than a hard working nut that has no end result when given a chance to express. however this system leaked goals and we looked vulnerable on the counter therefore his change back to plain 4-4-2 which has better shape and overall a tighter unit. I still think its arguable that with the players we have, we might/should be able to break teams down more often and win because we have a lead over them rather than settling for a safe game or draw.

Having said all this, we finally found and bought players to fit an attacking Physiology Newcastle United used to be renowned for. Personally, i am disappointed with how its being translated on the pitch. Imo keegan or Bobby is much more suited to these set of players than Pardew is.

For me, while that was awful, what summed up Allardyce was the tactical set up v Liverpool. After twenty minutes it was clear the players had absolutely no idea what they were supposed to be doing. Was horrible to watch.

I'll never get over that clip of him bellowing out things during a training session in the rain while all the players listlessly loiter.  It's like some kind of bonus, deleted scene from The Wall, so surreal. 

that and saying that being three goals down at home to pompey we'd best just give in, despite getting one back with 70mins to go.

This is one of my least favorite games ever.

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can be throwing the plaudits at Allardyce. I remember going to Reading away when he was in charge playing a defence that consisted of Michael Duberry. With N'Zogbia and Milner available to offer some width he played 4 centre midfielders across the midfield and basically said "I'll take a draw".

He might have kept us up that season but the football and tactics under him was some of the worst stuff I have ever seen. In fact had he kept us up we would probably have been stuck watching that shite for a couple more seasons before someone finally got rid. Awful bloke, awful football, jesus :lol:

How anyone can begrudge Pardew's style of play or anything else when we're sitting 5th in the table, one point off 4th, with 14 games left is beyond me.

We have been remarkably resilient this season - look at the teams we've put out there from time to time and still won games.  We are not fragile.  We've won at some truly diabolical grounds this year, like Stoke and Blackburn, playing ugly but effective football.  The results are brilliant. 

We won a match with Danny Guthrie, James Perch, and Ryan Taylor starting in midfield.  Who on earth would have expected that?  Pardew's clearly an excellent man manager and a pretty solid tactician.  Like every manager, Wenger, AVB, Fergie, and Mancini included, he's made tactical errors and personnel blunders.  He's also made halftime adjustments on more than one occasion that have won us points.

He wants to forge a strong squad.  That's why he bigs up squad players all the time.  He wants to instill a work ethic into every player, rightly or wrongly, and is demanding the same out of HBA.  I think we could capably handle a flair player like Hatem when we have Tiote/Cabaye in the starting XI and hardworking forwards running off him.  But since we haven't had that, solidity is more valued.  I can understand that even if I don't fully agree.  He has earned the right not to be second-guessed all the time.

There are areas in which he needs to improve but he has exceeded my expectations to a mind-boggling degree. 

Maybe Pardew has gain quite a couple of fans since we are fifth on the table, maybe his exceeding great results have people expectations fulfill and maybe we should start comparing Pardew to Wenger, Fergie, Mourinhno on tactical mistakes.

However, this is still not how i see Newcastle being developing in this two years. The quality of our players improved and the financial prudence of Newcastle United improved as well, i have seen it as a change of Policy/Philosophy of the board and owner as a whole. They might have f*** us up , have no respect for us and wretch us from the beginning but credit to them, they are turning us over. It might be due to them having  a better understanding of of how to run a football club rather than all the denise wise bullshit.

At least for now Newcastle is great in the transfer window and getting real quality players in the team. I cant see how Pardew has many hands in the transfer marker as its not his job to get players over the line. This is quite apparent i hope and hope this continues even with new managers we employ. On this side of the page the club and board has won me over a 100% on how they identity and value players.

On the footballing side, Pardew is managing players of improved quality which the board think should improve the team, We should be going from strength to strength given the vast improvement of the players which is showing in the table and results.

Now not just HBA , most of the flair players in the team are under performing or are not fitted into our industrialize team now. I have conceded the fact that Pardew is limited and prefers his direct style. The same can't be said for the players and some of us fans which might think Obertan, Ryan talyor , Shola, Perch and some other players dont deserve the credit or the chance ahead of others in certain positions.

At least on the international Basis these player are not getting a sniff into their national teams and currently dont look likely to do so any time soon.

Now we are at the cross roads of choosing a more industrialize style as we play or changing it into a more creative style that could incorporate the Flair players.

I for one have saw a glimmer of hope when Pardew played Jonas as the free role in the 4-3-3 and still hope he persist with it as it probably the only time i have seen the flair players given a chance to express themselves. It became fairly obviously ,Jonas is much more than a hard working nut that has no end result when given a chance to express. however this system leaked goals and we looked vulnerable on the counter therefore his change back to plain 4-4-2 which has better shape and overall a tighter unit. I still think its arguable that with the players we have, we might/should be able to break teams down more often and win because we have a lead over them rather than settling for a safe game or draw.

Having said all this, we finally found and bought players to fit an attacking Physiology Newcastle United used to be renowned for. Personally, i am disappointed with how its being translated on the pitch. Imo keegan or Bobby is much more suited to these set of players than Pardew is.

Pards had come out and said he was speaking via old contacts at Wham about Ba, before he came to us. Theres been stories out that during his time out, he spent time in Germany watching sides. He himself has said the second he lost Carroll, Papiss was his first choice striker. So im not sure its apparent he has little involvement in transfers. Our scouting system looks to have improved loads, but potentially our best recent signing to date was largely down to him.

Outside of that you have to keep in mind that the majority of our midfield, our attack & part of our defense had never played together before this season. Quite a few are new to the premiership, some like Krul/Ba who have played still havent played a full season. I think some people take for granted the fact that they have adjusted so quickly & the team spirit is so good already. We've seen how thats gone the other way previously. Yet we're not playing like tottenham so i keep reading "Pards isnt the guy to take us to the next level". Just seems like wanting more more more. Give the guy time, this season id say defense has been his main priority given that hes found a striker that can score easily & its worked very well for us so far.

However, this is still not how i see Newcastle being developing in this two years. The quality of our players improved and the financial prudence of Newcastle United improved as well, i have seen it as a change of Policy/Philosophy of the board and owner as a whole. They might have f*** us up , have no respect for us and wretch us from the beginning but credit to them, they are turning us over. It might be due to them having  a better understanding of of how to run a football club rather than all the denise wise bullshit.

At least for now Newcastle is great in the transfer window and getting real quality players in the team. I cant see how Pardew has many hands in the transfer marker as its not his job to get players over the line. This is quite apparent i hope and hope this continues even with new managers we employ.On this side of the page the club and board has won me over a 100% on how they identity and value players.

Who the fuck is Denise wise is it his wife ?

Allardyce was greeted with open arms.  I was happy with the appointment.  But he was clearly shit for us.  Pardew, on the other hand, came in as a pariah.  The fallout from the Hughton travesty made him our most pilloried appointment since Sourness.  The vitriol against him, including from me, would have made the cliche poisoned chalice even that much more poisoned.  The fact that he turned it around with such aplomb is a massive achievement, and one that it seems many have forgotten. 

He jumped into a vipers' nest, and managed to charm almost all of the snakes.  That puts his achievements far above Fat Sam's in my book.

Nice article about the team from Simon Bird, actually -

Asked what it felt like to look at the Premier League table and see Newcastle United in fifth place and pushing for Europe, Demba Ba produced a wonderful answer on Sunday night.

Putting his finger perfectly on the mood on Tyneside he simply said: "Whoaah."

It neatly encapsulated the thrill, wonder and cautious happiness that Alan Pardew's team have conjured with their - so far - enthralling season.

The "Whoaah" moment also hinted at the surprise the world (outside the Newcastle dressing room) seems to feel at seeing the Geordies climbing so high, and keeping pace with the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal.

However the more we talks to Newcastle players in our weekly interview slot the more it seems they are not that shocked, and had targeted this kind of charge all along.

Hearing the likes of Yohan Cabaye and Shola Amoebi, one new to the town, and other a veteran of United's last continental adventures, say that Pardew and the players had a UEFA Cup spot in their sights even at the start of the season, adds to the conviction that they can hang on in there.

But there are other reasons emerging why, having overcome a couple of blips in form and an upsetting FA Cup exit at Brighton, Pardew's side might achieve their dream.

Firstly the arrival of Papiss Demba Cisse adds a whole new dimension of problems for rival defences.

His impact was immediate on Sunday when he came on in the 13th minute and scored in the 71st, a debut goal and volley that show he is an instinctive natural goal scorer.

Before that Cisse's slick movement helped get him free for two headers that he might have done better with. But as Alan Shearer used to say, if you're getting in the right positions, the goals will come.

Cisse will also add impetus by being an unknown quantity for Premier League defences. Word will not be out on how to play him, what his big strengths are, and if there is a way to stop him, for a good few weeks yet as he beds in.

He is also likely to form a strong partnership with Ba, the undisputed signing of the season who helped sell Cisse on a move to Newcastle before the deal was clinched.

There are other reasons that the challenge can be sustained.

I have argued earlier in the season that Newcastle have a very good first XI, but when injuries and suspensions bite, then they dip alarmingly.

But since then momentum has built, and reserve players have become battle hardened, and really stepped up their game.

For instance when Cheik Tiote went off to the African Nations' Cup he could have been a huge miss. But thankfully Danny Guthrie has filled the gap expertly.

I witnessed Danny tramping out of St James's Park before kick off earlier in the season because he hadn't made the squad. He was heading for his car, and home, rather than watch the match, such was his disappointment.

What a response he has produced when handed his opportunity. He was arguably the man of the match against Aston Villa. The onus was on him to be the side's creative force in the absence of the suspended Cabaye. He rarely give the ball away, and ran the centre of midfield.

He has improved in leaps and bounds in the last couple of years, perhaps taking something from training with the likes of Cabaye and Tiote very day. A new contract will surely follow soon

Other so called stand-by players have excelled too. James Perch has fitted in well at centre back or as a holding midfielder adding steel. This from a player who, it is fair to say, had not inspired the locals much previously.

Then there has been Ryan Taylor moving back into the team after his heroics earlier in the season and doing good work on the right of midfield, instead of right back.

Newcastle have gained a reputation for hard work and commitment this season which is elevating a team with quality, onto a higher plane than the likes of Aston Villa, who have quality but not the appetite for running, closing down and team work.

Long may that continue.

And it is likely to because Pardew has a good way of keeping the commitment levels high.

ProZone stats are pinned up on the wall at the training ground for all players to study. If anyone shirks or dips from their usual levels, it is on show, leaving them accountable to their team mates.

No one in Pardew's squad wants to be exposed as letting the side down on the effort front.

Demba Ba and his team mates will change the whoaah- factor to a wow- factor, if they can see out the job and stay in the top five or six.

It has been a theme of Alan Pardew's first full season in charge that people connected with the club have proved they have the finger on the pulse of the town, and shown classy touches.

This is a small example away from the cut and thrust of winning points, but take for instance Sunday night, when club skipper Fabricio Coloccini picked up the North East Football Writers' Player of 2011 award.

Pardew brought his entire back room staff to the dinner as a show of support, a gesture that impressed.

Coaches John Carver, Steve Stone, reserve boss Willie Donachie, U18 boss Dave Watson and Academy chief Joe Joyce sat on an impressive Newcastle United table.

Keeper Steve Harper and former favourites Alan Shearer and Steve Howey were all present too.

Pardew is winning friends on and off the pitch on Tyneside because he knows that attention to small details matters.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/simon-bird/Newcastle-column-Will-Alan-Pardew-s-Whoaah-factor-fire-the-Toon-into-Europe-this-season-By-Simon-Bird-article862551.html

Some really interesting points there. Surely having pro-zone stats up at the training ground would show that Shola is doing fuck all ? :|

Will the pro-zone stats be match only or training only or for a mixture of the two?

I think that is where he is seeing Ben Arfa lacking in effort, he does not seem to do defensive work at full pace, that said he seems to "glide" past players when attacking so I'm not so sure if we could depend on Pro-zone as surely it can't show poise and technique as a tangible factor???

It's hard for us to discuss it properly when we don't know how he is implementing it... we can only suppose he does that logical thing and interprets the good stuff and can excuse some of the other stuff perhaps not highlighted so well from it...

Fingers crossed anyway!

P.S. At the moment he is winning games so can't be too bad

Guest Roger Kint

It's hard for us to discuss it properly when we don't know how he is implementing it... we can only suppose he does that logical thing and interprets the good stuff and can excuse some of the other stuff perhaps not highlighted so well from it...

Fingers crossed anyway!

Of course he doesnt use it as his only evidence. Pretty sure he watches our games too.....

FWIW 'workrate' that is constantly bleated over with regards to HBA is not only defensive. His offensive workrate is also questionable at times imo. Look at Jonas/Ba/Cisse(only one game but) and they are always moving and working for the team looking to not only receive the ball but bring others in too. HBA too often tries to do it alone like he did in France whereas here its more pass and move football working people out of position.

Fingers crossed anyway!

Of course he doesnt use it as his only evidence. Pretty sure he watches our games too.....

FWIW 'workrate' that is constantly bleated over with regards to HBA is not only defensive. His offensive workrate is also questionable at times imo. Look at Jonas/Ba/Cisse(only one game but) and they are always moving and working for the team looking to not only receive the ball but bring others in too. HBA too often tries to do it alone like he did in France whereas here its more pass and move football working people out of position.

This has been one of my main gripes with HBA all season long tbf. He doesn't look to get the ball enough, and that was the main reason he failed at the classic number 10 spot.