Alan Pardew

JH

How anyone can begrudge Pardew's style of play or anything else when we're sitting 5th in the table, one point off 4th, with 14 games left is beyond me.

We have been remarkably resilient this season - look at the teams we've put out there from time to time and still won games.  We are not fragile.  We've won at some truly diabolical grounds this year, like Stoke and Blackburn, playing ugly but effective football.  The results are brilliant. 

We won a match with Danny Guthrie, James Perch, and Ryan Taylor starting in midfield.  Who on earth would have expected that?  Pardew's clearly an excellent man manager and a pretty solid tactician.  Like every manager, Wenger, AVB, Fergie, and Mancini included, he's made tactical errors and personnel blunders.  He's also made halftime adjustments on more than one occasion that have won us points.

He wants to forge a strong squad.  That's why he bigs up squad players all the time.  He wants to instill a work ethic into every player, rightly or wrongly, and is demanding the same out of HBA.  I think we could capably handle a flair player like Hatem when we have Tiote/Cabaye in the starting XI and hardworking forwards running off him.  But since we haven't had that, solidity is more valued.  I can understand that even if I don't fully agree.  He has earned the right not to be second-guessed all the time.

There are areas in which he needs to improve but he has exceeded my expectations to a mind-boggling degree. 

Solid post, completely agree with all of this.

I want HBA in the line up as much as anyone, but i fully understand why Pardew doesnt want to start him with Guthrie and Perch in midfield, Best and Shola upfront and Simpson at RB........

When they come back( Tiote and Cabaye) and Simpson is replaced by a quality fullback i hope to see Pardew give him more chances......

But atm the defensive cover is too weak to have someone like Ben Arfa playing on the right side of a 4-4-2......

Let's not use Ben Arfa not playing to cloud our judgement, Pardew is doing an insane job.

Our best manager since Sir Bobby IMO.

Not had much competition tbf.

True enough  :)

Thing is, we're where we are right now because of the things that Pardew is good at. We could get a manager that's better at certain things, but there'd be no guarantee that we'd keep the strengths we already have.

I reckon we could probably get a more tactically astute manager from somewhere, but would the new manager would command the respect of the players or be capable of working with Ashley and Llambias like Pardew?

In any venture "right fit" is sometimes more important than objective ability, and there's no doubting that Pardew is the right fit for the club at the moment.

Wouldn't trade him for anyone at this point. God knows I don't trust Ashley to make another managerial appointment.

You wouldnt trade him against no one even if Ashley wasnt the owner? (rest of the post isnt directed at you ;) )

Lets be frank, Pardew has done well but he lacks what a great manager possesses which is the ability to change a match for the greater good. We have not once won when conceding first. Pardew gets more credit than he deserves, while he is a big reason and not taking anything away from him while we are up there, I believe this season has come down a lot more to individual brilliance and luck at the right time than a brilliant pardew. Pardew has surely settled this team well, but we have by no means played as well as the table suggests.

Evidence that supports this is:

Krul has been magical in plenty of matches. Examples being Wolves (a), Man U(a), Blackburn (a) penalty save which probably won us the game, Fulham (h), ridiculous saves against Villa.

Individual brilliance from Raylor against Everton and Shiteland.

Ba  goalscoring form

Shola magic goal against Spurs

Papiss in the weekend.

We were lucky against QPR, penalty against Man U and plenty other games 

Why my criticism against Pardew many will ask. Well its because of his ability to almost screw over games with his tactics. Prime example is letting Villa back into the game in the weekend, letting QPR outplay us for more than they should, for letting Wolves back in the game, for letting Fulham beat us 5-2 as we backed off, for giving Blackburn a chance last wednesday by backing off once again. We almost let Stoke back in the game too. 

He seems content to defend when up instead of putting more pressure and playing to our strengths. He is too passive in my opinion and reminds me off Sven Göran Eriksson, a manager who can organize but will never be able to change a game with pure tactical brilliance.

Put it even clearer, Pardew has done really well, but he isnt the big reason why we are where we are.

There's giving Pardew too much credit, then there's giving him none! Sounds like you're giving him no credit with the above post tbh.

You can't use the "our keeper is f***ing mint" as an argument to discredit the manager of the football club. For all we know, Pardew and his management of the club, is the reason why Krul (who is obviously very talented) is in fantastic form. I don't buy this idea that if a team's GK plays well, then they were lucky to win or avoid defeat because of some heroics. Keepers are part of the football team on the pitch after all no? Their performances are as responsible for results as that of any other player in any other position on the pitch, on any given Saturday.

Fact of the matter is, we've won matches, and are still in business at this stage in the season. Pardew should get whatever credit is allowed any football manager when they succeed, and in his case it is relative success. Oldtype's argument is spot on, in that he should be allowed the praise he gets precisely for being the right man to lead this club at this time.

I don't see Pardew, at the moment, being the one to lead us onto greater and bigger things. I reckon we need someone who is a step up if we're going to challenge for Europe year in year out. Nevertheless I do believe Pardew's management of the club is a massive reason we are where we are now.

Bit contradicting paragraph that last one, he is leading us to bigger things, yet you do not see him as the man to do it?

I for one am loving every minute of his, but I expect players to get more credit than Pardew, which sometimes isnt the case. For all I care HBA can be sold as long as we produce confident performances, which we havent  done a lot this season, we have grafted out wins which could easily have been won by the opposition.

Im not complaining but I am pointing out what you suggested, which is he wont be the right man to lead us onto the bigger stage unless he changes his ways. But for now its working, but Im no convinced as you guys are. Remember we had one of the best runs in many years under Roeder, sometimes it comes down to timing.

Credit where its due, certainly, but also right amount of credit needs to be given.

How anyone can begrudge Pardew's style of play or anything else when we're sitting 5th in the table, one point off 4th, with 14 games left is beyond me.

We have been remarkably resilient this season - look at the teams we've put out there from time to time and still won games.  We are not fragile.  We've won at some truly diabolical grounds this year, like Stoke and Blackburn, playing ugly but effective football.  The results are brilliant. 

We won a match with Danny Guthrie, James Perch, and Ryan Taylor starting in midfield.  Who on earth would have expected that?  Pardew's clearly an excellent man manager and a pretty solid tactician.  Like every manager, Wenger, AVB, Fergie, and Mancini included, he's made tactical errors and personnel blunders.  He's also made halftime adjustments on more than one occasion that have won us points.

He wants to forge a strong squad.  That's why he bigs up squad players all the time.  He wants to instill a work ethic into every player, rightly or wrongly, and is demanding the same out of HBA.  I think we could capably handle a flair player like Hatem when we have Tiote/Cabaye in the starting XI and hardworking forwards running off him.  But since we haven't had that, solidity is more valued.  I can understand that even if I don't fully agree.  He has earned the right not to be second-guessed all the time.

There are areas in which he needs to improve but he has exceeded my expectations to a mind-boggling degree. 

Perfectly sums up what me and my work colleagues have been talking about today.

Agree with just about every word of that.

I want HBA in the line up as much as anyone, but i fully understand why Pardew doesnt want to start him with Guthrie and Perch in midfield, Best and Shola upfront and Simpson at RB........

When they come back( Tiote and Cabaye) and Simpson is replaced by a quality fullback i hope to see Pardew give him more chances......

But atm the defensive cover is too weak to have someone like Ben Arfa playing on the right side of a 4-4-2......

Let's not use Ben Arfa not playing to cloud our judgement, Pardew is doing an insane job.

Disagree...

Since Sir Bobby; Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear and Hughton have been our manager. That is a shit load of managers = lot of competitions.

(understand what you mean, just disagree with the statment :naughty:)

I honestly thought it was impossible to win a game with a midfield of Perch, Raylor and Guthrie.

Like you say, solidity and graft has got us far this season, and even though I want to see more of HBA I can see why Pardew has valued those qualities above all else so far.

I'd love to have seen us win that game without Ba and Cisse up front. But as they say...to the victor the spoils.

Disagree...

Since Sir Bobby; Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear and Hughton have been our manager. That is a shit load of managers = lot of competitions.

Can't believe you think Kinnear and Souness were brilliant managers and Allardyce was driven out of the club before he could challenge Real Madrid for the CL.  :naughty:

Disagree...

Since Sir Bobby; Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear and Hughton have been our manager. That is a s*** load of managers = lot of competitions.

Tbf thats like saying because theres 18 other teams in La Liga that Barca and Madrid have competition.......

Guest VaVaVoom

Great post.

Guest Howaythetoon

Allardyce is a better manager than Pardew whose football philsophies is actually quite similar to that of our former manager, stats based, percentages football, solid defence, direct football. We've put in many a poor performance under Pardew as we did under Allardyce. Pardew is just more slick and more likeable if you like as a personality. Big Sam was welcomed here with open arms by most on his appointment but as soon as we got a billionaire owner fans' attitudes started to change and he become quite the scapegoat. That said, some of the results and performances under him helped to underline fans' attitude towards him which didn't help his cause. I still believe, we'd have stayed up under him and would have went onto become a solid consistent top 8 side at least.... which fast forward to this very days is probably our true level under Pardew.

Guest VaVaVoom

Allardyce is a better manager than Pardew whose football philsophies is actually quite similar to that of our former manager, stats based, percentages football, solid defence, direct football. We've put in many a poor performance under Pardew as we did under Allardyce. Pardew is just more slick and more likeable if you like as a personality. Big Sam was welcomed here with open arms by most on his appointment but as soon as we got a billionaire owner fans' attitudes started to change and he become quite the scapegoat. That said, some of the results and performances under him helped to underline fans' attitude towards him which didn't help his cause. I still believe, we'd have stayed up under him and would have went onto become a solid consistent top 8 side at least.... which fast forward to this very days is probably our true level under Pardew.

Fuckin hell :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Fucking hell what?!

That Big Sam is a better manager than Pardew? Look at their records man :lol:

I know he's hated here but Allardyce is a very good manager who always gets the best out of his sides/clubs. Why Blackburn sacked him I do not know, they would comfortably be sat in mid-table right now.

Allardyce gets results. West Ham will go up under him, guaranteed, and if they keep him, they'll stay up, guaranteed. Pardew is a gamble that is working right now but you just know under him it could go massively wrong, like it seems to have done at all of his previous clubs.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I've just been sick in my mouth

I've just been sick in my mouth

:lol: :lol:

http://www.myfacewhen.com/367/

Derby 1-0 Newcastle

Stevenage... Brighton...

Cacapa Cacapa Cacapa Cacapa Cacapa Cacapa Cacapa

Cacapa was very good for the first matches tbh ;) Remember that beating at home to Portsmouth completely destroying his career though.