Alan Pardew

JH

You've got a point to be fair, the criticism of a team that is massively overachieving is strange, and probably mainly due to the manner of the thrashing by Spurs. Like all football fans we're highly fickle and exaggerate our positive and negative feelings/opinions based on results from week to week.

You've got a point to be fair, the criticism of a team that is massively overachieving is strange, and probably mainly due to the manner of the thrashing by Spurs. Like all football fans we're highly fickle and exaggerate our positive and negative feelings/opinions based on results from week to week.

Massively overachieving?!

Even if I can agree with this to some extent it wouldn´t have been a great idé at Tottenham. He hadn´t the player and should have been playing deeper in the defence.

Of course its all conjecture, but I think playing HBA instead of Obertan gainst Spurs would have at least kept their defenders on their toes. With Obertan, their fullback was overlapping and we were under wave and wave of attacks.

:idiot2:

Massively overachieving?!

Well we're having a great season that is beyond most people's expectations. Maybe massively is exaggerating, but you know what I mean.

Even if I can agree with this to some extent it wouldn´t have been a great idé at Tottenham. He hadn´t the player and should have been playing deeper in the defence.

Of course its all conjecture, but I think playing HBA instead of Obertan gainst Spurs would have at least kept their defenders on their toes. With Obertan, their fullback was overlapping and we were under wave and wave of attacks.

:idiot2:

Another intelligent response...well done!

Personally I don't think it would have made any difference to the fullback getting forward at all. If Ben Arfa was a traditional wide man perhaps, but he constantly floats inside attempting to find space for a dribble or pass. Don't get me wrong this isn't a criticism, you only have to look at Mata at Chelsea as an example of a wide playmaker who does this very well, it's intelligant play and makes him a constant threat throughout the game.

During the game the forwards had so little of the ball and were so poor when they did I doubt Ben Arfa would have influenced the game at all. I would have played him over Obertan of course, but I doubt it would have impacted on the result.

Personally I don't think it would have made any difference to the fullback getting forward at all. If Ben Arfa was a traditional wide man perhaps, but he constantly floats inside attempting to find space for a dribble or pass. Don't get me wrong this isn't a criticism, you only have to look at Mata at Chelsea as an example of a wide playmaker who does this very well, it's intelligant play and makes him a constant threat throughout the game.

During the game the forwards had so little of the ball and were so poor when they did I doubt Ben Arfa would have influenced the game at all. I would have played him over Obertan of course, but I doubt it would have impacted on the result.

I thought this was obvious. We didn't have the ball for any period any attacking changes would've made little difference. I've said this before but I really wonder how long some of you have been following football or if you've played in any sports.

There's no point a boxer worrying about his weak left handed body shot if he doesn't protect himself. This wasn't a case of giving Spurs too much respect. We went man for man and started pretty high up and they DESTROYED us.

I actually don't think we're overachieving at all, I just think people were being pussies over the summer with all the doom and gloom, and underestimated how good our players are and who were bought. Obviously we have improvements to be made, but our position matches our ability imo.

I actually don't think we're overachieving at all, I just think people were being pussies over the summer with all the doom and gloom, and underestimated how good our players are and who were bought. Obviously we have improvements to be made, but our position matches our ability imo.

Speaking right now you've probably got a point, we do have some players that are better than we expected, therefore we might not technically be overachieving. But still, being 6th in the table has to be a great result, and it doesn't really make sense to revise our expectations upwards so quickly and use that to criticise.

FWIW, I reckon that if Ben Arfa had started against Spurs, he would have made some sort of difference. A difference from an attacking perspective anyway, I'm sure Hatem would have given BAE a rough time down the right wing and guess that would have meant more chances for us.

But, not sure if Ben Arfa's presence would have changed the overall outcome. We still would have lost imo as Spurs were simply too good - they exploited our weaknesses in CM (Guthrie/Perch were overwhelmed) and defence well. Whilst it could have been a different scoreline, it still would have been a Spurs win. Bringing Ben Arfa for Obertan in the first half wouldn't have made much difference either, the game was lost as soon as the second goal went in.

Some people did underestimate the players coming in. Some people are possibly overestimating how good our players actually are after a very good start to the season.

Speaking right now you've probably got a point, we do have some players that are better than we expected, therefore we might not technically be overachieving. But still, being 6th in the table has to be a great result, and it doesn't really make sense to revise our expectations upwards so quickly and use that to criticise.

I don't really base my criticism of Pardew on league position, for me I've found some of his line ups strange and on the surface I haven't always felt that he gets the right players into the right formation and style to make the most of their talent. He has got some strengths as well though which shouldn't be ignored. He's a good motivator and man manager for the most part.

Damn no nooses left or is is neese?

I wasn't on a wind up, thought it was a little tongue in cheek. I just look through the threads and they all feel so doom and gloom and apocalyptic.  Are our players really that bad though?  I just feel (especially as a team) that they are actually doing fantastic.

Yeah spurs game was an absolute shambles, but sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit you were completely outplayed by a better team on the day. It happens to teams all the time.

I am just a little surprised at the hatred for so many players.  I actually think this is the best bunch of players we have had for a while, especially when you look back at some of the highly paid, couldn't give a s*** brigade we have had in the past.

Yeah some of them are lacking technically but as a team they are doing amazingly well.

I am dreading Neej coming back with another BOOM, as it cuts to the core I tells ya.

Thank you some people are really crazy and fickle. This forum is full of that. If some one say you will be 6th by beginning of March at the beginning of the season I wouldn't believe it. But just like when they boo Bobby Robson's team for finishing 5th. This fickle fans wants to beat even the best and moan if we dont as if we lost everything I thought relegation thought us a great deal but I am afraid it is not.

Thank you some people are really crazy and fickle. This forum is full of that. If some one say you will be 6th by beginning of March at the beginning of the season I wouldn't believe it. But just like when they boo Bobby Robson's team for finishing 5th. This fickle fans wants to beat even the best and moan if we dont as if we lost everything I thought relegation thought us a great deal but I am afraid it is not.

Did anybody actually boo Bobby for finishing 5th?  I remember the ground being half empty but can't remember booing.

Did anybody actually boo Bobby for finishing 5th?  I remember the ground being half empty but can't remember booing.

There were big booing after the Wolves game at SJP.

In context though that was a bad season. Given the squad we had, we were battling with Charlton, Fulham and a David O'Leary side for a lot of the season. Was shocking that we let an equally bad Liverpool do us for 4th.

So many draws that season. That was probably the key factor really.

In context though that was a bad season. Given the squad we had, we were battling with Charlton, Fulham and a David O'Leary side for a lot of the season. Was shocking that we let an equally bad Liverpool do us for 4th.

If we are going to talk about context then we should remember that the wheels were falling off by then for SBR. On the other hand in the seasons before, we played the kind of football that this current team hasn't come close to so far. I suppose you could argue that even Bobby took a couple of seasons to build the side he wanted which is fair enough. I just feel Pardew's football philosophy is a million miles from SBR's.

It took even Bobby the best part of two seasons before we looked a decent team. His first season was a rescue job and the second was about as meh a season as you can get.