Alan Pardew

JH

Put yesterdays performance in to some perspective. Yes we were woeful but Tottenham, especially Adebayor, were unplayable. When tiote and Ba went to the ACN I expected us to capitulate, but when Tiote is back we will still be 1 point from CL qualification. We have gained points when I for one thought we would fail. Performances have not been great, but our central midfield would struggle to get on the bench with a fully fit squad. I am looking forward to the Wolves game as with Tiote and Cabaye back I really can see us pressing on. Season starts now and we have one hell of a chance of winning the fourth place mini league. Chelsea are crap, Arsenal without RVP are crap and Liverpool are a joke.

What I found really annoying was that Adebayor had morphed from his usual languid and careless (no goals for ages) self into Ronaldo.

Guest neesy111

My main gripe is how many warnings we've been given in games we've come away with points from. Results will eventually begin to follow performances, and while I was delighted with the results, performances have ostensibly been ignored by Pardew. No change to our defensive tactics, no serious ball retention in the last three games and, in short, no willingness to change things before they break.

Colo's form has suffered tremendously and the morale of the dressing room after that turkey stuffing must be terrible. Welcome to the real Newcastle, Papisto :lol:

Yesterday was exceptionally bad though. The lack of fight and the lack of bottle on display was unlike any match this season. I was so impressed with Ferguson just showing hunger to stand his ground and go up against players. He overhit a cross for Demba, but he can be proud of his performance. Showed a lot of courage and desire, which is what any kind of performance/result yesterday would have been built upon (in the absence of Tiote/Cabaye). He deserves a run in the side IMO.

Good Post.

Meh, gambled with two up front, we were just totally outclassed, Adebayor and Saha tore strips out of Willo and Simpson - let's be honest, Parker, Bale and Modric v Perch, Obertan and Guthrie is just a no contest. Given his options can't blame Pards too much today, some players just didn't show up.

Agree with you largely, dont think he that many options bar Ben Arfa. Switched Gutierrez to the right as he saw thats clearly where they were creating from. Still, Ferguson over Ben Arfa? Very odd.

It's not odd. Davide also needed protection so he brought on a lad who has played LB himself. It was a defensive move that made sense.

Meh, gambled with two up front, we were just totally outclassed, Adebayor and Saha tore strips out of Willo and Simpson - let's be honest, Parker, Bale and Modric v Perch, Obertan and Guthrie is just a no contest. Given his options can't blame Pards too much today, some players just didn't show up.

Agree with you largely, dont think he that many options bar Ben Arfa. Switched Gutierrez to the right as he saw thats clearly where they were creating from. Still, Ferguson over Ben Arfa? Very odd.

It's not odd. Davide also needed protection so he brought on a lad who has played LB himself. It was a defensive move that made sense.

Absolutely, defensive move when down 4-0.

Do some people actually listen to how fucking clueless it sounds.

He got the system completely wrong from the off today. Playing the two Dembas may have looked great on paper but really an extra body in midfield could have helped our cause today. Earlier in the week, there were concerns from some on here that Guthrie-Perch would be overwhelmed by Spurs' midfield and this turned out to be so - Parker/Modric were completely on top today. I think an extra man in CM could have curbed Spurs' attack.

Bit worrying that it took Pardew quite a while to change things around mind (switching Jonas to the right/bringing on Ferguson). Bringing Ben Arfa on wouldn't have done much today btw - this is mainly down to the fact we basically had nothing in/from midfield today so Hatem wouldn't have seen much of the ball anyway (imo). I reckon that if Raylor was fit today, he would have started instead of Obertan.

Agreed. Gosling or even better Abeid should've started instead of Cisse, giving us a double pivot defensive midfield axis to protect the defence. If Spurs can do it with Livermore & Parker against an inferior L'pool. I don't know why we couldn't do it against Spurs.

Absolutely, defensive move when down 4-0.

Do some people actually listen to how f***ing clueless it sounds.

You can't attack effectively if you keep conceding goals and don't have any kind of grip on the match. When you're getting destroyed the first thing you do is stem the bleeding. Once that's done we can start to press. Have you ever played a sport? From boxing to rugby, the first move would've been to correct your biggest mistakes.

If anything he should've done it at 2 or 3-0.

We did go on to concede another and maybe fortunate to not give away a penalty.

The game was lost within 15 minutes. Replacing Obertan with Ben Arfa wouldn't have made the slightest f***ing difference imo.

You're probably right but there's a bigger picture to be considered. As I've said elsewhere I'll accept that Raylor offers something HBA doesn't, being able to defend reasonably well. But Obertan? Nah, sorry, not having it. He's the very definition of a nothing footballer.

He carries the ball and relieves pressure when he does that tbf and he's marginally better in a defensive manner.

The game was lost within 15 minutes. Replacing Obertan with Ben Arfa wouldn't have made the slightest fucking difference imo.

You're probably right but there's a bigger picture to be considered. As I've said elsewhere I'll accept that Raylor offers something HBA doesn't, being able to defend reasonably well. But Obertan? Nah, sorry, not having it. He's the very definition of a nothing footballer.

Was never suggesting we should have started Obertan by the way. :thup:

Agree with Beren.

I suppose I have to say it otherwise this will get taken out of context, but he's undoubtedly done a good job and i'm happy with him, even if we were 10th he'd be within his target range and it would be hard to critisise him. However there are many times this season where he's made some baffling choices that just havn't paid off (from both a performance and results point of view).

My biggest gripe with him though is he seems very set in us playing 1 way and 1 way only, a direct and organised 4-4-2, and other than an odd moment of madness where he randomly seems to "let his hair down" that's all we've played regardless of our personnel, for better or for worse. In a couple of games he went mental with Best and Ben Arfa on the wings and Jonas in the middle, it was quite refreshing to see, we then had a horrible second half against Fulham (after playing probably our best football of the season in the first) and he seemingly has been shocked back into his old 'tried and tested' ways.

Now there is no doubt it's worked for us, we started the season very well and other than a few blips we've carried on to this point in similar fashion, but I feel that if we have the same philosiphy next season we won't be half as lucky.

Put yesterdays performance in to some perspective. Yes we were woeful but Tottenham, especially Adebayor, were unplayable. When tiote and Ba went to the ACN I expected us to capitulate, but when Tiote is back we will still be 1 point from CL qualification. We have gained points when I for one thought we would fail. Performances have not been great, but our central midfield would struggle to get on the bench with a fully fit squad. I am looking forward to the Wolves game as with Tiote and Cabaye back I really can see us pressing on. Season starts now and we have one hell of a chance of winning the fourth place mini league. Chelsea are crap, Arsenal without RVP are crap and Liverpool are a joke.

I don't think they were unplayable, I just don't think we were prepared for the threat they would pose and how they would exploit it. We were like rabbits caught in headlights as they raced into dangerous areas and not only did they cross well from wide positions (on the floor mostly) but they had plenty of players following in to get the second ball.

Maybe if we'd studied their attacking threat more closely we could have closed off the spaces and set up a better way of dealing with it. It's hindsight though so and it's always easier to make plans afterwards. Our approach to the Liverpool game was far worse.

My main gripe is how many warnings we've been given in games we've come away with points from. Results will eventually begin to follow performances, and while I was delighted with the results, performances have ostensibly been ignored by Pardew. No change to our defensive tactics, no serious ball retention in the last three games and, in short, no willingness to change things before they break.

Colo's form has suffered tremendously and the morale of the dressing room after that turkey stuffing must be terrible. Welcome to the real Newcastle, Papisto :lol:

Yesterday was exceptionally bad though. The lack of fight and the lack of bottle on display was unlike any match this season. I was so impressed with Ferguson just showing hunger to stand his ground and go up against players. He overhit a cross for Demba, but he can be proud of his performance. Showed a lot of courage and desire, which is what any kind of performance/result yesterday would have been built upon (in the absence of Tiote/Cabaye). He deserves a run in the side IMO.

I do agree in parts, but we have had key players missing in all three games.

Let's see how Harry would have done with Perch & Guthrie in the middle and us having Modric & Parker.

We played like a team who were under no pressure and were letting our hair down, it was like a training match where nobody gave a shit about how they performed apart from the people who paid to travel to Spurs to watch the game.

Guest neesy111

Pretty sure we haven't actually won a game which we've conceded 1st in under Pardew......

Blackburn in the cup.

In the league I mean't.

Scunthorpe and Blackburn in the cups.

Pretty sure we haven't actually won a game which we've conceded 1st in under Pardew......

Blackburn in the cup.

In the league I mean't.

Scunthorpe and Blackburn in the cups.

Aye seems you're right. Although to his credit, we've not gone behind that often this season and from a losing position we've taken points from Villa, Spurs and Man Utd as well as from Arsenal and Chelsea last season.