Alan Pardew

JH

Guest Howaythetoon

Obviously people are entitled to criticise him for anything they want, but they should also be giving him credit for the good season we've had. It seems being in the top 10 has suddenly become the accepted norm and now doesn't count for anything, even though at the start it would have been a great achievement.

We are top 6 in the main thanks for Ba's goals and the individual performances of Krul and Colo. Of course Pardew deserves credit but I'd say he deserves less than the likes of Ba, Krul et al. His input in our season is similar to R.Taylor's. He's contributed but not starred.

Our tactics are all wrong, at the start of a game, during the game and especially when the opposition start to nulify us and attack us. We simply drop back, revert to hoof and end up with no real shape. His team selections are often baffling and his use of subs almost always wrong.

He helped instill a very good team-spirit and a very good work-ethic and earlier on in the season we were defensively very strong which he deserves a lot of credit for and this has helped us to make a good start to the season and to get into a really good psoition in the league. But good team spirit and work ethic will only take you so far as does individual performances from star players but star players need direction, they need to play in a system that helps them.

This isn't happening. Pumping long ball after long ball up to Ba is not what he needs or wants. How are we meant to dominate a side when the area that achieves this - the midfield - are constantly being bypassed by long balls or restricted due to a flat and unballanced set-up?

Our tactics are so hopeless and dumb its embarrassing and is costing us and will if we persist, end up costing us big time. We have as much chance of finishing mid-table as we do a European spot and forget about 4th. A position we could actually finish in if we did play better football.

Not impressed, but I've been that way for a while tbf. Don't know if he'd be more adventurous and confident with a couple of better players in defence, but I'm also uncertain if I want to wait and find out.

Certainly seems to rely on statistics more than he should, furthermore it seems to be affecting the players confidence and cohesion.

And quite how Cabaye doesn't think he was brought here under false pretences I don't know. Maybe he does.

It's hardly hindsight, it was clearly a case of Ian and Jon criticizing his foresight. Embarrassing really, a point scoring attempt when it's fucking obvious, even when we win, that he's a very cowardly manager.

we weren´t good the first half either. it was just that we scored and they didn´t, and that was NOT a result of good play from us.

I know, I didn't say we were. But when two goals dropped into our laps then I don't think the way we reacted was surprising or particularly bad.

Agree. Understandable.

The instant injuries to Ba then Tiote didnt much help our momentum 2nd half. Then the deflected shot.

Still, we were losing it via long ball tactics. Thats the key issue for me, it wasnt working and that was obvious.

Guest Heneage

So easy to say with hindsight but Ben Arfa at half time would have been the first thing I'd do. These cameos put way too much pressure on him to do something.

We are top 6 in the main thanks for Ba's goals and the individual performances of Krul and Colo. Of course Pardew deserves credit but I'd say he deserves less than the likes of Ba, Krul et al. His input in our season is similar to R.Taylor's. He's contributed but not starred.

Our tactics are all wrong, at the start of a game, during the game and especially when the opposition start to nulify us and attack us. We simply drop back, revert to hoof and end up with no real shape. His team selections are often baffling and his use of subs almost always wrong.

He helped instill a very good team-spirit and a very good work-ethic and earlier on in the season we were defensively very strong which he deserves a lot of credit for and this has helped us to make a good start to the season and to get into a really good psoition in the league. But good team spirit and work ethic will only take you so far as does individual performances from star players but star players need direction, they need to play in a system that helps them.

This isn't happening. Pumping long ball after long ball up to Ba is not what he needs or wants. How are we meant to dominate a side when the area that achieves this - the midfield - are constantly being bypassed by long balls or restricted due to a flat and unballanced set-up?

Our tactics are so hopeless and dumb its embarrassing and is costing us and will if we persist, end up costing us big time. We have as much chance of finishing mid-table as we do a European spot and forget about 4th. A position we could actually finish in if we did play better football.

Been trying to work out what happened there myself. Don't think it's as simple as Wilko for Saylor, but Santon's forward play certainly has Colo pulled out to the wings more than I would like.

Just because the result went against us, it doesn't mean the first half approach was wrong. We went in at half time very comfortable and 2-0 up. Yes Wolves had had some possession, but it was very poor quality and I bet the Wolves fans would have been much more angry than ours.

It was the second half that really surprised me. Pardew should have taken the opportunity to fire up the players and send them out to get another couple. It didn't happen at all, obviously.

I wasn't creaming myself by the way.

we did not go in at half time comfortable, anyone can tell we were in for a tough time when the second half whistle will blow, because we know pardew hardly ever make changes at halftime.

we were not comfortable straight after the first 20 mins,  we slow, lack of urgency lack of belief lack of energy.

we were never comfortable apart from the first 20 mins

It's hardly hindsight, it was clearly a case of Ian and Jon criticizing his foresight. Embarrassing really, a point scoring attempt when it's fucking obvious, even when we win, that he's a very cowardly manager.

I wasn't trying to score points, I couldn't give a fuck about that stuff. I still maintain that our performance in the first half was absolutely fine. Not ideal obviously, because in utopia we would just turn on the style and murder every 'inferior footballing side' that we play. But OK considering the circumstances. It was the second half that let us down.

I don't think he has any idea on how to control games and be the dominant force.

That's been apparent for most of the season but because Ba has been winning us games it's been ignored. Against teams like Wolves, all you need to do is control the game with possession and our far superior footballers will win the game 9 times out of 10. Unfortunately Pardew's brand of no-particular-style football means it's hard to control a game. Especially if you try to play shit opposition with their own brand of hit and hope football.

Guest Howaythetoon

Even at 2-0 I was concerned and I knew we would sit back and drop off in the second half. I also knew once they scored, we would struggle. We actually played like this away to them, we went into the lead and looked comfortable then all of a sudden we become shit and hung on in the end.

It's hardly hindsight, it was clearly a case of Ian and Jon criticizing his foresight. Embarrassing really, a point scoring attempt when it's f***ing obvious, even when we win, that he's a very cowardly manager.

I wasn't trying to score points, I couldn't give a f*** about that stuff. I still maintain that our performance in the first half was absolutely fine. Not ideal obviously, because in utopia we would just turn on the style and murder every 'inferior footballing side' that we play. But OK considering the circumstances. It was the second half that let us down.

yep despite us score twice, our second half performance actually included some urgency regardless of us conceding two sloppy stinking goals.

Just because the result went against us, it doesn't mean the first half approach was wrong. We went in at half time very comfortable and 2-0 up. Yes Wolves had had some possession, but it was very poor quality and I bet the Wolves fans would have been much more angry than ours.

It was the second half that really surprised me. Pardew should have taken the opportunity to fire up the players and send them out to get another couple. It didn't happen at all, obviously.

I wasn't creaming myself by the way.

we did not go in at half time comfortable, anyone can tell we were in for a tough time when the second half whistle will blow, because we know pardew hardly ever make changes at halftime.

we were not comfortable straight after the first 20 mins,  we slow, lack of urgency lack of belief lack of energy.

we were never comfortable apart from the first 20 mins

Well I thought that we would realised we were flagging and Pardew would sent them out firing to start the second half. Obviously that never happen. But as the first half ended we were definitely playing fine and looking good for a win IMO.

There was always the potential that Wolves would get back into it, but to actually 'expect' that would have been overly negative, expecially with the chance Pardew had to talk them up at HT.

Gonna rightly get slated for this.

Asked for it with his team selection, we've been shit.

It's only right midfield where he even had a decision, no?

Ian man, there's more to football than picking your best team, and he can't even do that. We dont play football, he sends us out to not concede, every single week.

Gonna rightly get slated for this.

Asked for it with his team selection, we've been shit.

It's only right midfield where he even had a decision, no?

Ian man, there's more to football than picking your best team, and he can't even do that. We dont play football, he sends us out to not concede, every single week.

I know, but I was responding to a post about team selection. At least have a go at me when it makes sense.

His use of Cabaye (seemingly at least), truly epitomises what I don't like about him, he should be contributing so much more.

I wonder how he feels now about Pardew's promises of passing, ball retaining football. It's long since gone to shit.

Our performance in the first half was ok?? They must have had about 70% possession!

It was 55% but I'm with you, it was a poor first half performance masked by mistakes that they made which gifted us the lead. The second half started the same and then deteriorated after they scored.

Let's also not forget that he made a double change when we were defending a set piece, which is something that is unheard of.

I wasn't trying to score points, I couldn't give a fuck about that stuff. I still maintain that our performance in the first half was absolutely fine. Not ideal obviously, because in utopia we would just turn on the style and murder every 'inferior footballing side' that we play. But OK considering the circumstances. It was the second half that let us down.

Agree with Ian regarding the first half. Not ideal, but the second half was the real let-down. I understand the merit of not getting carried away after you go 2 goals up so quickly. You know the opposition will look for a quick response and press tightly, so to focus on keeping it solid (or as solid as we could) made some semblance of sense. It wasn't the only thing we could do that would have made sense, of course, but it was one of them. Given that we didn't get our two goals from complete domination of the opposition - it would have been just as risky to try to kill the game/put them to the sword by continuing to stretch the playing at both ends.

The awful thing, IMO, was that we started the second half in the exact same way, until we lost our foothold in the game entirely and could never re-establish it.