Alan Pardew

JH

Gone from Brilliant to Good, and he's just scraping a good.

Since the Chelsea game we've been very eratic, a couple of great performances, a couple of games with decent spells and a number of games where we've been complete dross.

The league is very poor this season and we've got a great chance to make Europe (probably need the cup winners to finish top 5 mind), however I'm torn as to whether I would rather see Europe next season or use the rest of the season to try something new and give it a good run of games to bed in - heck even try something radical like seeing how Tav plays at right back or if a full back pairing of Ferguson and Santon will work. How about givign Kadar a run in the Premier League - may save a few quid on a squad CB in the summer or allow us to move Williamson on.

And that's before considering building a formation to play to the best of BA, Cisse, Cabaye and Ben Arfa - you know, maybe a 4-3-3 or something unheard of like that.

What I can't understand is how things have changed so much since the first half at Fulham.

That was some of the best possession football I've seen us play for a long time. Whereas now we're just served up with lumping it long in the hope that our strikers pull something out of nothing.

What I can't understand is how things have changed so much since the first half at Fulham.

That was some of the best possession football I've seen us play for a long time. Whereas now we're just served up with lumping it long in the hope that our strikers pull something out of nothing.

I think the second-half of that game rattled him. Didn't know how to respond when Fulham changed things. If we'd scored a couple more in that first-half when we created a lot, I think we'd have stuck with that system.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Next week is massive for him. Absolutely huge.

Aye, a lot of pressure will be applied and a hell of a lot more discontent over the style of play if we lose. Needs to get it right.

He's clearly improved us defensively.

We had the best defense in England for several periods before our main Cb was injured. This with a defence also containing Danny Simpson & Ryan Taylor. Not sure how you can discard a managers worth when he achieves that.

Along with Ba its the main reason for our entire season. Just not as exciting to talk about obviously.

We had the best defense in England for several periods before our main Cb was injured. This with a defence also containing Danny Simpson & Ryan Taylor. Not sure how you can discard a managers worth when he achieves that.

Along with Ba its the main reason for our entire season. Just not as exciting to talk about obviously.

We've conceded 38 all season, 26 of those came in the 7 defeats, only 12 have been conceded in the other 19. I'd take that over conceding 1 or 2 more regularly spread out over the season.

Good x 2. We undoubtedly having a very good season but that doesn't mean Pardew is beyond criticism. If he's making glaring mistakes then he's got to expect a bit of flack. The quality of football we're playing is poor, the Ben Arfa riddle, bypassing midfield, the Obertan obsession...it all adds up. He obviously deserves more time but he needs to sort the problems out.

i agree on all points. Our best starting 11 should be able to challenge for europe...without a doubt. We are a bit surprised we are already there....but our best starting 11 has so much quality. Pardew has to be given credit for the passion and spirit the lads has been showing in many games this season...it has given us more points than pardews tactics.

Arfa showed with his two efforts that he offers so much more than obertan. Taylor is now first choice on the RM position because he is more reliable defensively....and still offers something attacking. But pardew has found (he believes and it is true to some point) that his tight concept is working and therefore is afraid to change things.

My concern is that i dont see us develop in style really....we should be able to play nice football with this squad...and also for the future....the next couple of years (under pardew) we should have a strong concept of how we want to play clever and more attracting football....we need a system which doesn´t needs to change so much depending on the opposition.

The long style can be and have been effective for us.....but its far from the best solution when you have players like arfa and cabaye in midfield.

I hope we come up with a strong playing concept which is more attractive....that will make it easier to attract players in the future and also easier to get the right ones for the system so you dont end up with situations like arfa.

End this season as good as possible with what ever works...but from next season we should develop our style imo. We could easily end up with our stars players like arfa and cabaye leaving cos the style/concept doesn´t suit them...which will be a shame!

Got to play long balls if you're set up is 442 and you're playing against 451.  You're centre paring always get crowded out and cant make passes,  hence being forced into to many long balls...we all knew that wolves would go 451 so why didnt he match it?? Probs cause we hust paid 9 mil for a striker...cant drop Ba and must play cisse, then we arestuck with 442 and long balls.

The sunderland game will be massive for pardew,  he has a massive conundrum.

Got to play long balls if you're set up is 442 and you're playing against 451.  You're centre paring always get crowded out and cant make passes,  hence being forced into to many long balls...we all knew that wolves would go 451 so why didnt he match it?? Probs cause we hust paid 9 mil for a striker...cant drop Ba and must play cisse, then we arestuck with 442 and long balls.

The sunderland game will be massive for pardew,  he has a massive conundrum.

Or we could have gone 4-3-3 with Ben Arfa roaming as a sapre man

HBA vs Cattermole, wow.

Nah we kinda get stucked there. Can't see Pardew dropping either Cisse or Ba, but a 4-4-2 would get overrun-ed by Sunderland's midfield. Probably should go for 4-5-1 but again that's too negative.

At this stage last season we had conceded 39...

The system hes set up has been very successful on the whole, the total is scewed by capitulations (when he has got it wrong) & the period with no fit CB's. We're also easily leading the penalties conceded table.

Even yesterday was a deflection then individual error that cost us.

Probably as a result of the second half of that game.

We've conceded 38 all season, 26 of those came in the 7 defeats, only 12 have been conceded in the other 19. I'd take that over conceding 1 or 2 more regularly spread out over the season.

Even if you workout the 26 in the defeats you get some clear explanations.

2 penalties at Man city & Raylors individual error

2 conceded last min at Chelsea pushing all out for a winner

No fit Cbs at Norwich, Perch at Cb v West Brom

Simpsons fk error v Liverpool

So thats 13 goals you could argue arent due to any defensive system failing really. Then we conceded 10 v just Fulham & Spurs after capitulating.

Thats 23 goals of the 26 purely due to singular games or individual error/players being out in those defeats.

All started to go tits up with no C.B coming in January imho,our free flowing play in parts from earlier in the season has turned into long ball now.we will fail to qualify for Europe if this sloppy defensive play continues and pardew seems incapable of changing our play from plan a to a plan b when things change on the pitch ,Pardew says we will play with more flair and faster play but Ben Arfa sitting on the bench isnt helping when if he starts he could make the difference and take him off if it doesnt work especially at home .

Thought I'd stick in a couple of points for the 'pro' argument, as it seems to have been grossly misrepresented in the last few pages.

Firstly, no one is saying that we're 6th purely because of Pardew. But it can't be ignored as well - football is essentially a results business. The fact that we are 6th has to count in his favour in some fashion. I really refuse to believe that we've lucked our way there, or that we've done it in spite of Pardew. I personally don't think that this current set-up is any better than 6th in its current state (squad depth way too thin, still littered with players like Simpson, Williamson etc.)

If you look, there is also no one is saying that the football we are playing is 'good' either (we aren't blind). Yes, it has been good at times this season but it essentially hoof ball, which needs to be improved and very quickly - but again, it has also been producing results which is why some are hesitant to criticise it wholly.

There is also no one saying that he is a brilliant manager, or a master tactician. But in the same breath, to say he is clueless as well is a bit unfair. He may only have one gameplan, or relies on some of his favourites in Taylor, Obertan etc. but that doesn't make him clueless, otherwise I might try my hand at PL managing next season if it's that easy - I might win the title with all those great players City have.

It is essentially a results vs performances argument, not a "really happy with the football we're playing" vs "not happy with the football we're playing" argument as some seem to have been mistaken with.

How the fuck can anyone say he has done anything other than good or brilliant? There's some fucking spackers on here like. Can anyone seriously say, that with the other managers available to us we would be any higher in the league? People need to get a fucking grip man.

:rant: