Will The Players Take Us Down Like Last Time?

Crumpy Gunt

Carroll is in better form and more dedicated than any of the dross we had in the latter stages of 08/09.

Tiote is a vast improvement.

Defense is pretty much the same in ability. Beye was playing better than Simpson/Perch/RTaylor play now. Enrique is playing better now than he was that year. Bassong was good , but Colo has improved.

Gutierrez is the same (erratic).

On the right I would still rather have Barton or Routeledge (even Ranger) than Duff.

We are still going down though.

The form in all players will decline.... seems inevitable. I would love to be proven wrong. I suppose it is possible that the players we have this time have more strength of character than last time and we have fewer mercenaries. Like I hacve sadi in other threads it really will depend on how badly Wolves, WHam and Wigan do.

The wins over Arsenal, Villa and Sunderland show we have the players to win games and the spirit, even if the squad is a bit stretched when the first 11 aren't available. It then comes down to the manager whether he gets the best out of those players and thus results. Will Alan Pardew get the best out of Joey Barton for example? Or will he get punched in the face?

It's a serious question as Barton has been instrumental in our best performances.

The wins over Arsenal, Villa and Sunderland show we have the players to win games and the spirit, even if the squad is a bit stretched when the first 11 aren't available. It then comes down to the manager whether he gets the best out of those players and thus results. Will Alan Pardew get the best out of Joey Barton for example? Or will he get punched in the face?

It's a serious question as Barton has been instrumental in our best performances.

Barton punching him in the face and being sold/suspended/jailed after it would be a very, very good way to say goodby to us.

Good post.

I think we have the players to stay up or even over achieve, it's whether they will respond to Pardew. Will be interesting to see how he is backed in the transfer market in January.