Birmingham v Newcastle Pre-Match Thread - rearranged for Tuesday 15th February

Ameritoon

Guest labrowski

I'd like to see Sol dropped, Williamson in and drop Jonas for Routledge. Honestly reckon Carr just couldn't deal with his pace.

No room for Colo then?

Ah, forgot about him. Let's put him in for Taylor then!

I'd like to see Sol dropped, Williamson in and drop Jonas for Routledge. Honestly reckon Carr just couldn't deal with his pace.

No room for Colo then?

Ah, forgot about him. Let's put him in for Taylor then!

I'd probably agree, just feel like Taylor would be a bit hard done by as he has done ok.

I'd play Coloccini for Sol, Ranger for Shola and Krul in goal. Otherwise same team. Like someone said, I think Carroll might struggle against Johnson and Dann. Ranger's pace could draw them out of position and allow Nolan to push forward into space a bit. Ameobi would just make things virtually impossible by standing around in the middle.

Guest labrowski

drop JONAS! wash your mouth out young man

Sorry. I should have realised what I was typing and just slapped myself in the chops!

Maybe It's time I got dropped

drop JONAS! wash your mouth out young man

Sorry. I should have realised what I was typing and just slapped myself in the chops!

Maybe It's time I got dropped

sit the next couple of plays out

:undecided:

Routledge has been clueless on the right this season when he's played. He is scared of this league. Puttinghim on the left would be asking to get hammered down that side.

Routledge has been clueless on the right this season when he's played. He is scared of this league. Puttinghim on the left would be asking to get hammered down that side.

Routledge played well against Chelsea and Ashley Cole tbf. Like I said in the Jonas thread, even if it doesn't work out, Jonas is the type of player that seems to get too comfortable when he's playing every game, he desperately needs a kick up his arse. I highly doubt Routledge will do much worse than Jonas did against Liverpool.

Whilst Jonas would be a dream down that side?! :lol:

The side he normally plays on?

Im not sure where this is coming from? He has had a few bads games lately, he is lacking confidence. Putting WR on the left would be criminal. He wouldnt have a sniff and would totally disapear like he has done on many occasions this season.

Im not sure where this is coming from? He has had a few bads games lately, he is lacking confidence. Putting WR on the left would be criminal. He wouldnt have a sniff and would totally disapear like he has done on many occasions this season.

Rather that than a player who goes past two players then loses the ball.

Rather that than a player who goes past two players then loses the ball.

Errrr yes.

I like Lovenkrands as a bloke and i think he's been a decent servant for us, in all honesty. But i really hope we're never forced into starting him in the Premier League again. He's wildly out of his depth at this level nowadays. What's left of his pace is completely redundant cos he isn't nearly imposing enough.

Tbh i'd still stick with Shola.  :-X

(bang goes the credibility of this post)

Why would you not start Ranger? He's been getting better and better with each game and deserves a start by now.

As long as we keep pressure ont heir defence this is very winnable. I know they are known for their defence but have been dodgy past couple of games. Keep the pressure up as much as possible and we'll win it. They were horrendous against Wolves! Jonas needs to step up and get down the left.

Agreed, we need Jonas running at and skinning Carr at every oppourtunity. He should be able to get past him at will. Cut inside or get to their byline.

Based on what? He couldn't even get the better of James Perch.

Don't exaggerate even my mom could get past Perch ffs.

But Jonas couldn't, as I just said.

I understand your lack of confidence in Jonas. He can do it, he doesn't, but he can. And we need him to.

Jonas is injured/low on confidence/suddenly s***. He plays on Saturday and Carr gets an easy game IMO.

My point being though, if you replace him with WR you will get nothing different. If WR cant do it in his favorite position, he's hardly going to fancy taking someone on with his left foot.

Stick with Jonas and hopefull he can regain some confidence and get that understanding with Jose back.

Jonas is injured/low on confidence/suddenly s***. He plays on Saturday and Carr gets an easy game IMO.

My point being though, if you replace him with WR you will get nothing different. If WR cant do it in his favorite position, he's hardly going to fancy taking someone on with his left foot.

Stick with Jonas and hopefull he can regain some confidence and get that understanding with Jose back.

Who says that?

I thought he had a great game against Cole when Chelsea were here a couple of weeks ago, and given a fair crack of the whip could be decent in this current team. Jonas needs to shown that his place in the team isn't guarenteed, then we might start see him playing better.

I like Lovenkrands as a bloke and i think he's been a decent servant for us, in all honesty. But i really hope we're never forced into starting him in the Premier League again. He's wildly out of his depth at this level nowadays. What's left of his pace is completely redundant cos he isn't nearly imposing enough.

Tbh i'd still stick with Shola.  :-X

(bang goes the credibility of this post)

Why would you not start Ranger? He's been getting better and better with each game and deserves a start by now.

There's other reasons but, in a nutshell, he's more likely to score than Ranger. Although we've done well infront of goal this season (thanks largely to a certain number 9), we don't actually create that many chances. We can't afford to waste any away from home and we've proven at Everton, West Ham and Arsenal that once we nick a goal we're capable of hanging on. We need our best goalscorers on the pitch at all times, imo.

But on top of that, although he's been displaying his typical infuriating characteristics of late (laziness, offsides, daft fouls) he plays an important role in the team. He's phyiscal enough to drop deep and latch onto one of the oppostions midfielders. It allows Tiote to sit back and play that midfield-sweeper role he's so good at, leaving Nolan to push forward. I don't think Ranger's got the brain or physicality to play that sort of role.

Shola needs a severe kick up the arse but i'd keep him in the side; he plays an integral role to our football. Ranger's proven that he's an efficient impact sub anyway.

But Ranger's proven he can help create more of those chances that you state yourself we barely create. That's better than a striker with good finishing who seems so lethargic or 'injured' that he more often than not isn't even in the right place to attempt a shot on goal, and sure as hell doesn't help us retain possession or help the build up. Once again, more often than not, the build up play stops dead as soon as he recieves the ball.

Just realized how important this match really is, of course all matches are important but a win here would take us 7 points infront of Birmingham and knowing our luck with big teams recently we can snatch a win against City the week later. However a loss will bring us back to that pack of relegations battler. Would be great to end the first run with at least 7 points ahead of the relegations battlers.

I'd start Shola if he doesn't play well put Ranger on for the second half. This because Ranger is still learning and because Shola has the odd great game and maybe he'll have it this week. Be stupid to play Leon who's shit btw.

Ranger's biggest problem is when he receives the ball in midfield and is pressured, he always seems a little too nonchalant and makes too many mistakes.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he maintains concentration for 90 mins but I think that for the moment he could be best suited to coming on for 30 mins as an impact sub and where perhaps lax mistakes can be rectified easier as opposing teams will also be tiring and concentration will not be as high as at the start....