Birmingham v Newcastle Pre-Match Thread - rearranged for Tuesday 15th February

Ameritoon

Guest NewBoyPeetah

I'd go for 4-4-2. Krul. Simpson. Collo. Williamson. Jose. Jonas. Nolan. Barton. Tiote. Carroll. Ranger.

Either Taylor or Williamson is fine I think but def no Sol. I'd like to see a forward who isn't Shola on the bench but I'm not sure about the fitnes of Best/Xisco or indeed there quality.

This lot are very, very beatable. They're shit, basically.

1-1 or 1-0 to us.

Agree, don't really see what everyone are so afraid of. Generally, I'm a believer of "never change a winning side", but I'd make quite a few changes for this one. Willicini comes in at CB, Routledge replaces Jonas and Ranger in for Shola.

0-2, Carroll and Nolan.

This lot are very, very beatable. They're shit, basically.

1-1 or 1-0 to us.

Indeed they are but they usually grind out results at home. Its no wonder St Andrews is always half full they play a piss poor brand of football.

Guest Tall Striker

There's a reason they've only got three wins all season and barely scored a goal a game. They've been very poor and we should be looking to take three points here.

This. Their win over Chelsea was as flukey as it gets too. If we get stuck into them from the off, and keep the ball in possession rather than hoofing it, we've got more than enough to win this. Still, a draw would be a good result.

Guest LucasUnger

i think i'll visit my bookies for those bets:

a 10 on a 1-6 win

a 10 on a 1-1 draw

and a 10 on 5-0 lose

has to be one of those scores :D

Krul

Simpson  Taylor    Coloccini    Enrique

Barton        Nolan      Tiote        Jonas

Shola/Ranger    Carroll

SUBS: Harper, Williamson, Campbell, Routledge, Guthrie, Gola/Ranger, Lovenkrands

Midfield picks itself. At CB Colo in for Campbell then a difficult decision: do we want Taylor or Williamson against the giant Zigic (assuming he'll play)?

Only other question is Shola or Ranger? Ranger has looked really sharp and a real troublesome livewire in his small cameo appearances and deserves a start. However is he more effective as a super sub when legs are tired and he changes the dynamics of the game buzzing arounf their back four?  Only a few starts will prove this either way in my opinion. Shola has the experience, holds the ball up and is disciplined in helping out the midfield dropping deep but has looked a yard off the pace lately.

I really think we will create alot down our left. Knowing how poor Carr is, Jonas should have a field day and carr may well get himself sent off as he'll be skinned over and over again.

Barton has been a revelation on the right absolutely brilliant again against Liverpool. Seems to know exactly how and when to drift out wide curling in beautiful beckham like crosses, when to drift inside and offers Simpson alot of cover defensively too. His crossing from dead balls we also have missed hugely.

Nolan i was a critic of but he has won me over. Captain marvel. A very average midfielder until he gets in the box then he's an absolute class finisher. His leadership qualities are massive too.

Tiote is such a massive player for us now too. If he or Barton gets injured we'll suffer.

We can win this 3 - 1 or 4 - 1 to us.

Can't see us winning this one, they will have their big lads up against Carroll and Nolan and their defence is fairly solid. This s the sort of game where a Ben Arfa could win it for us but we don't have anyone capable of that kind of magic right now. That being said if Carroll is up for it then it doesn't matter who they put against him.