Birmingham v Newcastle Pre-Match Thread - rearranged for Tuesday 15th February

Ameritoon

Can't see us winning this one, they will have their big lads up against Carroll and Nolan and their defence is fairly solid. This s the sort of game where a Ben Arfa could win it for us but we don't have anyone capable of that kind of magic right now. That being said if Carroll is up for it then it doesn't matter who they put against him.

I agree with the HBA bit, it has been the tight games (Blackburn, Fulham etc) where his prescence would have made most difference.

Guest magpie99

OK, here is a bit of a coincidence

I live in Oz and in the last 10 years, I have been back home a couple of times.

In 2002, saw us beat Birmingham at St.Andrews 2-0, Solano and Ameobi

In 2003, saw us beat Birmingham at SJP 1-0, Viana

In 2010, I will be arriving in the UK on the day we play them but wont be at the game..................I expect 2=1 win

Krul

Simpson Colo Willo Enrique

Barton  Nolan Tiote  Jonas

Carroll Ranger

Good game to have Colo and Williamson back, they aren't that pacy up front and we need height at centre back to help deal with Zigic. Ranger has to start, if its Lovenkrands I'll be raging.

Hleb is out still and Zigic for all his size advantage he's not that great a threat against big defenders.

I would have both Colo and Williamson back in for this, I would have said Taylor for his height a stature but funck him if he isn't prepared to sign, on the bench!

Ranger up front then...Somebody please tell him to be careful with his passes when in middle of park, keep concentrastion up... Allright, I know he's only 19!

---------Krul---------

Simps--Will---Colo---Enrique

Barton---Nolan--Tiote--Jonas

---------Ranger-----------

----------Carrol-----

He's quick but I'm not terrified of him getting in behind our defence. Then you have Zigic and Philips who aren't anything when it comes to speed. Hleb is the main threat imo.

:tiote:

Oh Hleb is out, canny :)

As long as we keep pressure ont heir defence this is very winnable. I know they are known for their defence but have been dodgy past couple of games. Keep the pressure up as much as possible and we'll win it. They were horrendous against Wolves! Jonas needs to step up and get down the left.

Agreed, we need Jonas running at and skinning Carr at every oppourtunity. He should be able to get past him at will. Cut inside or get to their byline.

Barton we just need more of exactly the same brillance from. With his superbly accurate pinpoint crossing he doesn't need to leave us open on the break and get to their line to get good crosses in. He seems to know exactly where to be and when to be breaking wide drifting inside or helping Simpson.

As long as we keep pressure ont heir defence this is very winnable. I know they are known for their defence but have been dodgy past couple of games. Keep the pressure up as much as possible and we'll win it. They were horrendous against Wolves! Jonas needs to step up and get down the left.

Agreed, we need Jonas running at and skinning Carr at every oppourtunity. He should be able to get past him at will. Cut inside or get to their byline.

Barton we just need more of exactly the same brillance from. With his superbly accurate pinpoint crossing he doesn't need to leave us open on the break and get to their line to get good crosses in. He seems to know exactly where to be and when to be breaking wide drifting inside or helping Simpson.

Dunno about that, don't think Gareth Bale was going past him at will a couple of weeks ago.

Based on what? He couldn't even get the better of James Perch.

Don't exaggerate even my mom could get past Perch ffs.

Guest prestonj1989

If you are going to  Brum watch out - they are by far the nastiest bunch of supporters in that God forsaken city

Yeah I live halfway between Aston villa and Birmingham city's grounds. I will not be wearing colours for this game and I would advise others to do the same.

Thanks for heads up. Have never had any problems at Villa games but never been to Birmingham match so will leave scarf and shirt at home.

He's got the better of more accomplished right backs than James Perch.  He's hit and miss (mostly miss these days it seems) but if he's on his game there's no reason why he can't 'rape' (to use Pardew phrase) Carr again and again.

Don't exaggerate even my mom could get past Perch ffs.

But Jonas couldn't, as I just said.

Yep, Jonas really needs to pull his finger out for this one and bum the face off carr!!

Him and Enrique could really take him to the cleaners...

I am also up for giving Nile a shot up front, let's see what he can do from thew fist whistle, I have my doubts but as they say "who dares, wins..."

I think we should keep the same lineup except replace Sol with Colo, and I would change Ameobi for Lovenkrands. I can see his pace and finishing being very useful away against unskilled cloggers like Birmingham. Carrol and Loven upfront for me.

I like Lovenkrands as a bloke and i think he's been a decent servant for us, in all honesty. But i really hope we're never forced into starting him in the Premier League again. He's wildly out of his depth at this level nowadays. What's left of his pace is completely redundant cos he isn't nearly imposing enough.

Tbh i'd still stick with Shola. :-X

(bang goes the credibility of this post)

Guest labrowski

I'd like to see Sol dropped, Williamson in and drop Jonas for Routledge. Honestly reckon Carr just couldn't deal with his pace.