The New Coaches thread

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye that's the other side of the coin. Stone will have seen regularly for a few months now which reserve players have what it takes to step up, while Donachie from the Academy will be able to recommend which ones he thinks can make it up to the reserves and help them develop further.

Peter Beardsley & Joe Joyce who are in charge of the reserves & youth team will more than likely to think they call the shots for there teams & arrears they cover.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Stripping the Academy of its staff again & yet I keep reading & hearing it is key part of the future. It is a bag of fucking shite that is going nowhere. Thank god some of the brought in youth from elsewhere has come off because any young player in at 16 is going to find hard to progress to 1st team level with all the chopping & changing & having to keep proving themselves to another set of eyes. Put AC down as a fluke.

I'd almost agree, if it wasn't for the fact that Joe Joyce is still overseeing the entire Academy structure and project, so its not as if its 'nucleus' has been removed. Coaches have move on, fair enough, but the guy who is running it is still there. He'll be having words, and be on the look out for coaches to bring in to help coach and project the plan that is in place.

Its when we swap and change Academy Director that you want to be worried, not individual coaches at various levels. For most, being a youth coach is 'entry level' position into the coaching structure - a way to prove your coaching credentials. Very rare will you find a coach that wants to work in the youth divisions his entire career (which is a shame and another issue all together).

So as long as Joe Joyce is there, and he continues to look over the development and profiles of the players through the entire academy, we should be OK. Hopefully, he'll have dossiers on the various players in the various age groups and one or two of them will be bookmarked as potential future stars that need the correct coaching and mentored to excel. The rest of the players will be 'back up' to help the better ones develop.

Stripping the Academy of its staff again & yet I keep reading & hearing it is key part of the future. It is a bag of f***ing s**** that is going nowhere. Thank god some of the brought in youth from elsewhere has come off because any young player in at 16 is going to find hard to progress to 1st team level with all the chopping & changing & having to keep proving themselves to another set of eyes. Put AC down as a fluke.

If we do just promote internally where possible, at least they'll have coaches in the first team that have more than a passing idea who they are and whether they can step up I suppose.

Nee one is sticking around long enough to form a opinion. Joe Joyce was  put in cold storage when Dickie Dosh was at the club but once he done one to Luton they brought him back, got Willie in & then got Steve Stone from the pre-academy kids. Beardsley has got 2nd team gig & I am sure Obi & Binnsy will agree when he made his return the likes of Wharton & Thompson never bothered with him & he looked like he had zero input, he was good at fetching the balls during the wamup though.

Aye, Beardsley didn't really do much during match day at Academy, or Reserve level, worth talking about. His 'touchline teaching' wasn't there at all, any tactical changes, or sideline coaching came from Steve Stone during reserve games. Can't speak on how he was during the weekly training - for all I know he could have had a whole notebook of issues he spotted during the games to work on. However, he still seems to get decent reviews from players/kids you talk to who have been in training sessions with him.

Can't tell if they're being polite and showing respect to him, or if they generally feel they are good sessions though.

While I defended Joe Joyce above, or at least suggested him being here still is a good thing, I will add that Richard Money pretty much remoulded the Academy in the year or so he was there. Hopefully, Joyce maintains and takes it forward, if nothing else.

Lets be honest regarding JJ he was frozen out when Dickie Dosh was around, wasn't his role coach of the  U13s during the Money era, at least he keept his job title. He is also one of the many at NUFC who operate in a world of paranoia, against the local boys clubs & schools while the likes of Ged McNamee (SAFC)  & Ron Bone/Dave Parnaby (Boro) work with the boys clubs/schools & have a great network across the NE.  Just watch how it pans locally over the next few seasons, we may ge the odd fluke but dont expect a production line or players we can sell for £500K or million here & there either.

Obi - On Pedro do you not reckon he got his work because he has backed up Ashley in public?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Toon burned their bridges with the local Boy's Clubs years ago, sadly. No idea who you can point the finger at with that one, but, from what I've seen, they seem to have picked up pace a bit more talking to the Boy's Clubs. JJ probably was frozen out, but he's still here, which is what I regard as the important factor. You need at least one person to remain and continue the core structure and philosophy (if there is one) throughout the Academy. Money seemed to do a lot of work getting the structure in place, but I'm not convinced he set about any real 'Brand Newcastle' teaching throughout the Academy.

What I will say about JJ is that he does seem to have a style that he wants the Toon to play, and from what I've seen watching the U16's and U18's is that they play a very similar game (obviously with other influences from their respective team managers). Really starting to get the ball on the deck, and promoting players to take their man on more often, with either footwork or interchanging passing.

What we've seen lately are smaller players getting a chance, where as previously we'd have seen big physical lads like Andy Mogwo get played over Ben Sayer. Of course I could be reading into this far too much, under the belief that I want the toon to be doing this, and have something in place, rather than blind luck.

I'm more inclined to be believe Beardsley got a job because he backed Ashley, rather than his Coaching ability, but then, so have a lot of people at various clubs. Coaching in England is a closed door membership, you really have to know someone to get a look in - reputation over ability every time (though I guess that's a pretty 'bland' statement to make).

Shame that. I'd love us to have someone like Powell - in touch with the modern game and intelligent.

Yeah, agreed, positive move by us to try and get him up here.

Definitely agree with both of you. Isn't there a "buy-out-clause" though? Like in Football Manager? Really seem like a top bloke with a lot of passion. Perfect for us really.

Guest michaelfoster

Neil McDonald perhaps? Been coach at Preston, Bolton, Crystal Palace, Leeds & Blackburn. Imagine he'll be on his way out of Blackburn now that Sam's gone. Wallsend lad as well.

He's already left with Big Sam

Glad it's been done quickly as that is important.

Quickly?!?! f***ing hell!!! Calderwood left on the 18th October, the scum at the top would not sanction any number 2 CH wanted as they were hovering to bullet him as soon as a few results went tits up but good results agaisnt the Scum, Arsenal & Chelsea delayed the spineless spackas at the top giving CH the bullet earlier.

Meant quickly after Pardew's appointment dull lad, surely even you could figure that out.

So what you on about quick for then? As most new managers have a number 2 joining them within days of them taking over. A OAP like you should knows this ffs.

Retired perhaps but a long way from OAP ;)

Anyway looks like we jumped the gun on Lewington.

Pleased for Stoney though - top guy and bleeds black and white,

Pardew revealed there was nothing imminent as far as backroom appointments were concerned.

He told me: “If I’m honest I could have 20 coaches here tomorrow if need be.

“But I have to get somebody who fits the right criteria here to what I’m trying to do here.

“I’ve moved Steve Stone up because what I found with him is he has the loyalty of the players.

“The extra coach who comes in means we’ll have one coach for every 10 players here.

“That is the sort of figure you should have at a top club.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/12/16/pardew-s-message-to-newcastle-united-fans-72703-27836898/#ixzz18HFMhfkV

Just another name to throw in there, Tommy Craig? Sir Bobby seemed to like him. Was sacked as manager of Charleroi last season.

Big mates with Shearer which might preclude him from wanting to be associated with NUFC under the current regime.

FAO GG

Would the Watford gaffer be a decebt number 2 to Pards?

Pards plans to lure Watford boss to St James' as No.2

Alan Pardew has made a shock move to install Watford boss Malky Mackay as his No.2 at Newcastle.

Pardew swooped after failing to persuade the vastly experienced Ray Lewington to join him at St James’s Park.

The Newcastle boss signed former Celtic and Scotland centre half Mackay during his time at West Ham and believes he could be a perfect foil.

Mackay, 38, has been earning rave reviews for his work with the Hornets in the Championship.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-plan-to-lure-Watford-boss-Malky-Mackay-to-St-James-Park-as-Alan-Pardew-s-No-2-article654951.html#ixzz18kDTw700

FAO GG

Would the Watford gaffer be a decebt number 2 to Pards?

Pards plans to lure Watford boss to St James' as No.2

Alan Pardew has made a shock move to install Watford boss Malky Mackay as his No.2 at Newcastle.

Pardew swooped after failing to persuade the vastly experienced Ray Lewington to join him at St Jamess Park.

The Newcastle boss signed former Celtic and Scotland centre half Mackay during his time at West Ham and believes he could be a perfect foil.

Mackay, 38, has been earning rave reviews for his work with the Hornets in the Championship.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-plan-to-lure-Watford-boss-Malky-Mackay-to-St-James-Park-as-Alan-Pardew-s-No-2-article654951.html#ixzz18kDTw700

Who knows, but most people in the game would consider no.1 at a Championship club to be better than no.2 at a big Premiership club.