Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 02/01/11 - post match reaction from p39

Dave

Guest BooBoo

Won away from home in a vital clash with a relegation battling side? Blame Pards!

Yep :snod:, great result. But you're milking that 'blame pards' thing now. ;D

You aint seen nothing yet! :)

It's less the substitutions, more the manner of what it was saying - to me, it said to Wigan "Show us what you got" and when that happens with us, we usually find some way of fucking it up.

I just wasn't comfortable with defending a 1-0 lead away from home. A team with more quality and we could have been punished.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper- 7

Simpson- 7

Taylor- 7

Coloccini- 8

Enrique- 7

Barton- 8

Nolan- 7

Tiote- 9

Jonas- 8

Lovenkrands- 7

Ameobi- 8

Routledge- 7

Best- 6

Smith- 6

Pardews tactics and substitutions were fine, and anyone saying any different has a stupid vendetta and isn't willing to give him a chance.

We're 1-0 up, with 20 minutes to go. Trying to shut down the space in the midfield by bringing on a winger for our second striker who is lacking match fitness is perfectly acceptable.

Best on for Shola - Ameobi was looking tired and FWIW Best did his job. He chased and chased and put pressure on Wigan bringing it out of defence.

Nolan was knackered too, good to get some fresh legs on and a player who is willing to get stuck in. We'd all wish it wasn't Alan Smith but unfortunately he's what we have at the moment.

Quite a few said before the game that it was a weird one to be televised, as it had every chance of being an awful game, seems like they were right. Thought we were dire, but Wigan was just so much worse, that we didn't have to do anything.

A great win non the less, we desperately needed those three points and to climb above a few teams to give us some breathing space.

Guest BooBoo

The vast majority of managers would switch to a defensive line up when holding a slender lead away from home. Daft to beat Pards with that stick.

It's less the substitutions, more the manner of what it was saying - to me, it said to Wigan "Show us what you got" and when that happens with us, we usually find some way of fucking it up.

I just wasn't comfortable with defending a 1-0 lead away from home. A team with more quality and we could have been punished.

But we weren't playing a team with more quality so its a redundant point.

I'd have brought Ranger on instead of Best, but other than that I've no real complaints with Pardew's tactics and subs today.

Worried that Ranger is being frozen out, but I suspect this was more an attempt to preserve some value in Best by claiming he's still playing for us.

People need to cut this argument out.

In the situation the substitutions were good.

Against a better team, he may have made different substitutions.

We ended the game with

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  Enrique

Rout Barton Smith Tiote Jonas

Best

How is that good at all?

Who should we have ended the game with? Messi and Ronaldo on the wings with Andy Carroll up top?

Hilarious. Exagerate my point and then completely ignore it.

What exactly is your point like? Routlege created a spark that we needed and did well down the right, certainly was more effective that Lovenkrands had been. Smith replaced Nolan to help tighten up the midfield. Best for Ameobi aye, maybe it should have been Ranger, but it was hardly suicide.

It's less the substitutions, more the manner of what it was saying - to me, it said to Wigan "Show us what you got" and when that happens with us, we usually find some way of f***ing it up.

People need to cut this argument out.

In the situation the substitutions were good.

I just think we were doing fine with 4-4-2 and there was no need to change that.  :dontknow:

The subs were fine, but there was no need to go so defensive - we weren't exactly troubled by them. 2-0 up and you've got a case, but with just a goal in the game, you're asking for trouble.

It's less the substitutions, more the manner of what it was saying - to me, it said to Wigan "Show us what you got" and when that happens with us, we usually find some way of f***ing it up.

Against a better team, he may have made different substitutions.

Against a better team, I'd have understood the subs he made today.

Harper 6 nothing to do

Simpson 7.5 very good

Colo 8.5 commanding performance

Taylor 6.5 better as the game wore on

Jose  6.5  wasn't good until the last 10 minutes

Barton 8 Very good again

Tiote 9 Man of match-Outstanding,ran the show

Nolan 7 We're better with him in the side.Quietly efficient

Jonas 8.5 Best game this season

Ameobi 7 Always a threat.Vital goal

Lovenkrands 6.5 Got into positions but in the main his control let him down

Routledge 7 Good outlet but delivery wasn't up to standard

Best 6.5  Not enough time to really fuck up

Smith 6.5 One great tackle followed by a braindead pass.