January Transfer

alpal78
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd wait till the summer and buy a quality striker rather just spending the 5 million or whatever is available now for the sake of it. I think we need cover for enrique at LB, Patrick van Aanholt would be a decent capture. Also need another creative midfielder, i'd happily take bentley if possible or kranjcar. Wouldn't mind seeing Ranger move out loan to build some confidence and push Xisco up the pecking order in his place.

After last nights result and HBA & Gosling both due back with at least 10 games remaing I'd now be inclined to get a loan or two in and look to add permanent reinforcements in the summer where we'd have more chance of getting more bang for our buck.

:thup:

Best was signed as an insurance policy. Hughton was worried that, if both Carroll and Shola were injured, we'd have no-one to act as a target man, leading the line. He felt that Ranger wasn't ready to step into that role.

I don't think anything's changed. IMO Best is a back-up to Shola and Carroll, nothing more.

The priority is a player for the secondary striker role. Ranger has the ability but not the maturity yet to be a regular starter. Lovenkrands is a poacher but not much else. Ben Arfa is injured and we still don't know his best role. Xisco is mentally AWOL and probably should be leading the line if he's good for anything at all.

Ideally, we could do with a pacey player who can also play out wide. You know, like Messi.

;)

I'd go for option 2.  We cannot afford a good striker now, and if we just spend 2-3m on a new striker I think very likely it'd be just someone close to Best's level.  In that case, I'd rather give chances to Ranger and hope he can progress well and become a EPL standard striker before the start of next season.

The only cons is we have higher risk of being relegated.  But after we got the crucial 6 points from Wigan and West Ham, we are in a much better position to take the risk.  That said, we also give up on getting a Euro qualification spot but that's a bit big-headed to be honest.

Just don't buy anyone unless they're a bargain and/or absolutely right for the culture of the current 'group of lads'.

I don't think many players of genuine quality will be available to us in this window, unless the club still have access to that magical well of bargain superstars that they got Tiote and Ben Arfa out of.

Personally think our absolutle priority in the short term is a striker with good movment around the box. Dare i say it someone in the same mould as Owen (though i wouldnt have him here), Nolan has scored a few of his goals directly from Carroll causing a nuisance in the box and i think someone more deft at finding those spaces would be a valuable asset to the team, also would add another dimension to the way we play.

Keane at £7m is a massive no no but a loan deal would never be a bad thing for us.

Best was excellent last night, but it's f***ing ridiculous to even suggest that he's the answer based on one good game against possibly the worst opposition we'll play this year.

Worse than Stevenage? Harsh (but fair).

Best was signed as an insurance policy. Hughton was worried that, if both Carroll and Shola were injured, we'd have no-one to act as a target man, leading the line. He felt that Ranger wasn't ready to step into that role.

I don't think anything's changed. IMO Best is a back-up to Shola and Carroll, nothing more.

The priority is a player for the secondary striker role. Ranger has the ability but not the maturity yet to be a regular starter. Lovenkrands is a poacher but not much else. Ben Arfa is injured and we still don't know his best role. Xisco is mentally AWOL and probably should be leading the line if he's good for anything at all.

Ideally, we could do with a pacey player who can also play out wide. You know, like Messi.

;)

This sums up how i see it too. But I think a new striker has to be good enough to go straight into the first team. Loven, Shola, Best and Ranger have shown they are good enough to come in for a game or two against weaker sides, or to make an impact off the bench, but I don't see any of them as being strong enough or consistent enough for the first team. So adding yet another backup striker would be a bit pointless.