Sunderland v Newcastle United pre-match thread - Sun 16th Jan at 12!

Beren

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper

Simpson Williamson Coloccini Enrique

Routledge  Barton    Nolan      Jonas

Best    Ameobi

1-0/2-0 defeat.

I can honestly see us getting tonked by a scoreline along that seen in October. We've got nothing in central mid and nothing upfront, the ball will just keep coming at us wave after wave and I don't think we've got it in us to keep it out of the net for 90mins.

We need a miracle, a helping hand, hopefully an early sending off from being too pumped up but I think the crowd will frighten the ref from making any decision like that justified or not.

Sunderland have a couple of good forwards but their midfield is weak same as ours. They don't handle the big strikers well either so I don't think it's a foregone conclusion unless we start with Smith and Nolan in midfield. I can see us getting a draw there.

Pardew says on the official site that he is looking to start two strikers from Ameobi, Best and Lovenkrands against Sunderland. He also says Gosling will be on the bench.

Spoiled for choice.

The positive is he's talking about starting with two strikers rather than just one. Considering who we have fit I'd much rather go 4 - 4 - 2.

4 - 5 - 1 could mean a start for Smith which would be bad.

His name's Joey Barton and he loves the toon,

Everyone needs a nutter in the middle,

Everyone needs a nutter,

Everyone needs a nutter in the middle,

Everyone needs a nutter,

His name's Joey Barton and he loves the toon

Nolan and Barton in the middle of a 4-4-2 IMO wouldn't provide much, if any at all, protection to the defence. And if Barton were to drop deeper, I feel it'd severely limit the creative abilities he possesses. However, when the alternative is Smith...

Do NUFC supporters have a radically different view to that?

Lads dont be so negative. Sunderland will have a better attack than us on Sunday fair enough, but how many times has not just a better, but a vastly superior Newcastle played them? The last 3 huge wins in this derby happened in 2010, 2006 and something crazy like 1955 (all Newcastle wins as well). The derby is a completely different game to all the others in the season, on paper they look like they have enough to win the game, but we have seen time and time again this season that that counts for nothing. Look at their record at Wearside in the derby as well, it is absolutely awful. All this talk of us getting trashed is crazy! We should be going into this game hoping for a draw with the outside chance of a win.

A couple of days ago I had us down for a defeat but now I just cant do it. There is absolutely nothing to suggest they are going to destroy us on Sunday. Yes we are missing Carroll and Tiote, but we didnt have Tiote when we destroyed Villa and we didnt have Carroll in our last 2 wins. They will be missed, but just because they arnt playing doesnt mean we are guaranteed to be mauled. Also all this talk about revenge is no reason to fear them either, if anything it is an advantage as huge pressure is on them. If the team keeps their shape and stays calm we can keep them out, and the longer we do that the more frustrated and nervous Sunderland get.

Its all to play for in my opinion. We're the underdogs for sure, but I think we can get something.

Lads dont be so negative. Sunderland will have a better attack than us on Sunday fair enough, but how many times has not just a better, but a vastly superior Newcastle played them? The last 3 huge wins in this derby happened in 2010, 2006 and something crazy like 1955 (all Newcastle wins as well). The derby is a completely different game to all the others in the season, on paper they look like they have enough to win the game, but we have seen time and time again this season that that counts for nothing. Look at their record at Wearside in the derby as well, it is absolutely awful. All this talk of us getting trashed is crazy! We should be going into this game hoping for a draw with the outside chance of a win.

A couple of days ago I had us down for a defeat but now I just cant do it. There is absolutely nothing to suggest they are going to destroy us on Sunday. Yes we are missing Carroll and Tiote, but we didnt have Tiote when we destroyed Villa and we didnt have Carroll in our last 2 wins. They will be missed, but just because they arnt playing doesnt mean we are guaranteed to be mauled. Also all this talk about revenge is no reason to fear them either, if anything it is an advantage as huge pressure is on them. If the team keeps their shape and stays calm we can keep them out, and the longer we do that the more frustrated and nervous Sunderland get.

Its all to play for in my opinion. We're the underdogs for sure, but I think we can get something.

Go on son.

Fair enough analysis Decky. I'd probably be open to subjectivity of course if I was in your position - and I agree with what you're saying about the pressure being on Sunderland. Neither side IMO is really in danger of going down so we are talking about pride here, and Sunderland's local pride MUST have been destroyed after the 5-1. Your main hope, I feel, is that they overcompensate in passion and don't have the composure to supplement a predictably high tempo they will look to supply.

Nolan and Barton in the middle of a 4-4-2 IMO wouldn't provide much, if any at all, protection to the defence. And if Barton were to drop deeper, I feel it'd severely limit the creative abilities he possesses. However, when the alternative is Smith...

Joey play in the middle of the park using his passing ability as we need someone who can pass the ball in the middle not a battler.  I couldn't bear to watch another Stevenage game with him out on the flank not involved much.  With Tiote out for me he has to play in the middle non of this Guthrie, Smith or Gosling malakry for me.

I might get some stick for this but I would go 4-5-1 to start and use more of the experienced players to start, if we do go 4-4-2 then it should be Lovenkrands to start as he's played plenty of big games between Rangers and Celtic.  The mackems bottled it because they couldn't cope with the atmosphere at our place and we need old heads so that we don't bottle it.

If all of the players are fit, I'd start with:

Harper

Simpson

Enrique

Williamson

Coloccini

Barton

Nolan

Guthrie

Routledge

Gutierrez

Ameobi

I don't  :thup:

Joey going deep is our best option given the resources we've got.

I'd rather have cancer as aids. ;)

Guthrie made one mistake which lead to a goal and he clearly kicked the ground which could happen to any player at any time.

It could but Guthrie has been dreadful every time I've seen him this season. The games have passed him by and he's looked really poor.

Rather throw Gosling in there tbh. That's how much faith I have in Guthrie. I have even less faith in Smith.  :undecided:

Harper

Simpson    Williamson  Coloccini    Enrique

Barton  Guthrie

Routledge            Nolan              Jonas

Sherla

I wouldn't have been surprised to see this, but with Pardew's comments about 2 up top then take away Guthrie and add one of our useless strikers.

Playing away from home with a midfield that is weak as piss = 4-5-1. Need a defensive mid = Smith, a creative mid = Barton, and an attacking mid = Nolan. Done.

Smith contributes nothing, we might as well pick a traffic cone.