Sunderland v Newcastle United pre-match thread - Sun 16th Jan at 12!

Beren

Smith had admitted that he stopped playing up front because he couldn't turn around on his ankle. Well he needs to turn around in defensive midfield too. Basically putting him there means the defence can't pass to him as he can't turn around quickly so they are just going to hoof it.

Come the fuck on Alan, give us the performance of your life!

This. Expecting the worst but if he just stays calm and on his feet, gets in the way and gives the ball to someone else should he get it he could end up doing a job.

Smith had admitted that he stopped playing up front because he couldn't turn around on his ankle. Well he needs to turn around in defensive midfield too. Basically putting him there means the defence can't pass to him as he can't turn around quickly so they are just going to hoof it.

Smith's completely finished as a footballer - he knows it, we all know it.

Hope he just keeps it simple and gives the ball to the wingers.  And doesn't dive in every 30 seconds.

We've got the more experienced midfield, but we lack pace. That could be the real problem - Stevenage managed to run through Smith and Nolan, so I'm not confident today.

Aye, Henderson and Richardson are both mobile and have a decent turn of pace.

We've got the more experienced midfield, but we lack pace. That could be the real problem - Stevenage managed to run through Smith and Nolan, so I'm not confident today.

But pretty lightweight.  Tiote would have been all over this game.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We missed Jose and Jonas' running and overlapping, having both back will be an improvement.

Hopefully Barton and Jonas will tuck in to help our midfield pairing- which is nowhere near good enough

I remember him talking about losing a bit to his since his knock but I cant remember him being position specifies.

But pretty lightweight.  Tiote would have been all over this game.

Which makes last weeks playing him even more daft as Sun'lun's injuries have been well documented nevermind his performance in the 5-1.

I do agree though, if we can get on top Nolan could have a field day against those two but I feel we're going to be susceptible to counter attacks and such as man for man they're quicker in every part of the pitch.

Once Barton says to Hendi "I have herd you have been hanging out the back of Joe Mcelderry arse" he will once again be gasping for air in the derby game.

Smith just has to be told to sit and not dive in like he does. He should really have figured this out by now, but he just doesn't get it. Another worrying thing about the Smith and Nolan pairing is the build up play through midfield as they are both horrific at this. Posession might be an issue.

We will likely be forced to go long because of this, however, with Bramble and bad Rio in there, there will be some errors from them even from the long balls. That Henderson and Richardson midfield isn't that great, but as already stated their mobility far surpasses ours.