Sunderland 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 16/01/11 - post match reaction from page 41

Dave

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Was Smith taken off injured?

Aye, but it didn't look like Smith wanted to come off. Think Pardew took it as a his chance to take him off after a pretty shocking 30 mins, and have an 'excuse' at hand. Smith had a go at the Sunderland fans near the bench too.  :lol:

cant believe pardew started smith and replaced the little bitch with guthrie  :facepalm:

he clearly has no idea how s*** either of them are

Massive ask for Gosling to be thrown into a derby after so long out though.

Can't help thinking Guthrie is another victim of the haters on here. Was injured himself for much of the season. Yes, he's struggled since he's been back, but people on here easily forget what he did for us last year and instead suggest he's "heartless".

Pathetic, frankly.

:sadnod:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Williamson looks like his confidence is shot.

Thought he had a decent first half, a part from getting burned that one time on the offside trap (which he seems to have adjusted himself correctly for).

So far so.....not bad!

Coloccini has been huge. Harper, Ameobi, Enrique and Nolan have been decent. Barton is on another level though. Another midfield masterclass.

Can't believe I'm saying this but losing Smith was a bit of a blow. He added bite to the midfield and didn't do much wrong. Not the game for Guthrie imo as he's the biggest bottler of them all. Should have sent Gosling on.

They look the more threatening, but we're doing a bit better than I was expecting.

The longer it goes on at 0-0, the more I'd fancy us to nick something. It's their game to chase, and they could tire.

They have a nasty habit of getting late winners though.

Man, people are being overly harsh on Best. He's doing his, er, best, with what he has to work with alongside him. The Enigma that is Shola Ameobi leaves everyone in awe, including team mates. At this point in time, if Best gets into the position, I'd have more faith in him to convert the chance than Nile Ranger.

Is the right answer.

Our forward line isn't setting the world alight out there but we're creating chances and could easily have put a couple away. We're giving them plenty to think about and our bench isn't any stronger than what we have on the pitch.

Pardew has it right holding back on Routledge and Ranger as impact subs for when their defence is tiring.

He also has it right in not throwing Gosling in at the deep end when he's clearly not going to be match fit. Granted, Guthrie seems to be following the Kevin Nolan fitness programme but he's likely to be fitter than Gosling at the moment.

We need to stick with it, try to up the intensity another notch, keep our nerve, and do better with our posession.

They are equally shocking going forward, we're breaking down their attacks very easily. Colo and Williamson have done well in the main, with the exception of getting skinned once. Enrique and Simpson are being typically excellent.

Game on. No changes please.

They look the more threatening, but we're doing a bit better than I was expecting.

The longer it goes on at 0-0, the more I'd fancy us to nick something. It's their game to chase, and they could tire.

yeah as dave said earlier, they're getting in behind too easily. they collectively stream forward into the final third far better than we've been doing, even if we have had most possession and arguably the better chances.

Coloccini and Williamson have been excellent considering Tiote's protection of them is gone.  Not sure they'll last a whole game without something beating them, but still.  They're doing well.

Agree with this.