Newcastle United 1 - 1 Tottenham - 22/01/11 - post match reaction from p22

Dave

I've decided to say f*** it, due to the players we had out. It's a good result. I wish the last 2 matches had had no stoppage time though.

We would quite literally be in contention for that last Champions League spot :lol:

I've decided to say fuck it, due to the players we had out. It's a good result. I wish the last 2 matches had had no stoppage time though.

It's a very good result, same as the mackems match. But it's daft to completely ignore the context, which is four points pissed away.

I've decided to say fuck it, due to the players we had out. It's a good result. I wish the last 2 matches had had no stoppage time though.

It's a very good result, same as the mackems match. But there's no point ignoring the context, which is four points pissed away.

:sadnod: Gonna rage about this for a while yet.

I wouldn't say any one individual player was to blame for what happened, but we need to simply keep playing when we're ahead and not just try and defend what we've got for most of the second half. We've been doing that for as long as I can remember and annoys the s*** out of me! :angry:

Strange comment considering we were still bursting forward to score a second even though it was ET and we were in the lead.

Not really.

The odd break after long periods of simply defending and having the ball in our possession for a matter of seconds in each 10 minute period, is hardly what I'd call playing normally. Are you seriously saying that you didn't notice a change in the way we were playing about half way through the second half?

Simpson wasn't very good today I thought, there's a reason Lennon swapped to the left in the second half.

Jose Enrique.

Well, yes, but Simpson was clearly backing off his man too much this game. I suppose I am expecting a bit too much of him to play like Jose mk2 but still :/

Haway people, to expect a young striker to pass when he's in that position is total nonsense. If he doesn't have the instinct to shoot in those situations, he shouldn't be playing up front.

If he was 30 with 200 goals in his account he might have had the maturity to look up. But at this stage in his career it's a non-problem.

I understand what you mean, but that's none sense tbh. If he had passed to Lovenkrands, you wouldn't be sat there saying that he doesn't have the striker's instinct to shoot. Strikers are there to put the ball in the back of the net. Whether by scoring themselves or providing chances is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Well I agree with that sort of, but if you don't have the hunger to get goals and the instinct to shoot then you won't make a very good striker. At least not unless you'r a non-scoring one like Kevin Davies.

Obviously I wouldn't have been criticising him if he squared it and we'd scored. That doesn't mean that I do have to criticise him because he didn't! Bit of a logical stretch that one.

I don't blame the lad at all for shooting. But come training Monday morning, I wouldn't be telling him well done for having a go. I'd be saying, you made the space for yourself, which is great. Next time, look up! I'm not sure if the replays show whether or not he looked up. He may not have seen PL in the better position, so that would be what I'd ask him to work on. Awareness of course improves with experience, which ties in with what you're saying.

IMO Lovenkrands with his experience should have got much tighter to the post to follow up.

Tottenham could have moved into the top-four, but they were undone by Newcastle as they lost 1-0 at St James' Park.
Sky's premier league round up  :icon_scratch:

If only the Murdoch empire had as much influence over football results as they do the government, we'd have 2 extra points right now.

Simpson wasn't very good today I thought, there's a reason Lennon swapped to the left in the second half.

Jose Enrique.

Well, yes, but Simpson was clearly backing off his man too much this game. I suppose I am expecting a bit too much of him to play like Jose mk2 but still :/

Pretty smart move from Redknapp, earned them a point in the end. Should have had more cover for their goal though.

I've decided to say f*** it, due to the players we had out. It's a good result. I wish the last 2 matches had had no stoppage time though.

It's a very good result, same as the mackems match. But it's daft to completely ignore the context, which is four points pissed away.

:sadnod:

Why does the goal have to someones fault? What happened to the days when you could hold your hands up and say good goal?

To use tennis terminology, it came directly from an unforced error. That's what is annoying about it for me.

I fancied them to score (or at least get a very good opportunity) as they were really turning the screw, but to gift them the ball immediately prior like that just rubs salt in the wound.

Haway people, to expect a young striker to pass when he's in that position is total nonsense. If he doesn't have the instinct to shoot in those situations, he shouldn't be playing up front.

If he was 30 with 200 goals in his account he might have had the maturity to look up. But at this stage in his career it's a non-problem.

I understand what you mean, but that's none sense tbh. If he had passed to Lovenkrands, you wouldn't be sat there saying that he doesn't have the striker's instinct to shoot. Strikers are there to put the ball in the back of the net. Whether by scoring themselves or providing chances is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Well I agree with that sort of, but if you don't have the hunger to get goals and the instinct to shoot then you won't make a very good striker. At least not unless you'r a non-scoring one like Kevin Davies.

Obviously I wouldn't have been criticising him if he squared it and we'd scored. That doesn't mean that I do have to criticise him because he didn't! Bit of a logical stretch that one.

I don't blame the lad at all for shooting. But come training Monday morning, I wouldn't be telling him well done for having a go. I'd be saying, you made the space for yourself, which is great. Next time, look up! I'm not sure if the replays show whether or not he looked up. He may not have seen PL in the better position, so that would be what I'd ask him to work on. Awareness of course improves with experience, which ties in with what you're saying.

IMO Lovenkrands with his experience should have got much tighter to the post to follow up.

There's no way he'd have got it to Lovenkrands where he was, if he'd have been in a position to have the ball played to him then he'd have been able to put it in anyway.

Jose Enrique.

Pretty smart move from Redknapp, earned them a point in the end. Should have had more cover for their goal though.

Pardew possibly could have had Enrique follow Lennon across. It's not like Lennon would have forced him onto his weaker foot anyway, since he cut inside every time.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Tottenham were shite. Utter shite. Take Modric out of that team, and they wouldn't have moved the ball at all.

On another day it should have been 4-2 to the Toon but we missed our chances, and Defoe was Defoe and kept blindly shooting every chance he got.

Sadly the ref was shocking.

I had never realised that VDV was such a cheating little shit before this. As soon as anyone was near him he was on the floor looking up at Halsey. Twice he dived and handled the ball assuming he was going to get a free kick.

Halsey waved play on, and even after telling VDV to watch his mouth, continued to let VDV moan and complain throughout the game. Lost a bit of admiration for him after today, though its quickly been gained by Modric.

Pineer had a shocker of a debut. Wasted the ball, sliced shots and went off injured.