Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Tall Striker

I fail to see how he'll improve us.. Better than nobody I suppose

You fail to see how he's better than Guthrie?

As a CM, yes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest sicko2ndbest

If he hits the ground running ala 2 years ago in tiote and Ireland we could have one of the best cm in the league.

Worth the risk imho

ireland would be a good addition to our squad, people forget we need to build a squad and be able to swap players around. the more options the better. around christmas our squad looked exhausted, but we had little option to rotate, so this can only be seen as a positive.

its stupid to be drawing up formations and placing ireland in there expecting him to be in the first team, hes coming into a very tight group of players where we have a settled team and formation, ireland wont change this unless hes stupid enough to alienate himself. he would only come into the team if he deserves to, by working hard and putting good performances in when he gets his chance

players such as nolan,jonas,barton etc will be automatic starters ahead of people like ireland, and rightly so, because they've worked hard and had some decent games, granted there not consistently great all the time,but they've all had good seasons so far and have worked hard.

ireland has shown he can cut it at this level, so theres no reason to see this as a negative. if it doesn't work out, no big deal, we wont sign him permanently, im sure he'l put some effort in so he doesn't have to return to villa.

Guest jonnyameobi

could it not be worth a try stick Jonas in the hole, given the fact he cant cross a ball for shit, but is happy to run at and take on people

could it not be worth a try stick Jonas in the hole, given the fact he cant cross a ball for shit, but is happy to run at and take on people

I would rather someone who can shoot in the hole.

Might be worth sticking Smith in a hole though.

Jose would look a better player with a decent winger to link up with.

No doubt, but Ben Arfa barely speaks a word of English and I doubt that they will understand each other that well and be able to develop a great understanding during just a couple of weeks. And I'm agreeing with you about Jonas, I'd sell him if we got decent money in, but don't change something right now. We're on track to finish top half and challenging for that Europa League qualifier spot, why change it now?

Rubbish. Jose had the easiest afternoon of his career against Everton with Ben Arfa down the left because Ben Arfa was busy murdering Everton every time he touched the ball.

Again, remember that it was also way to easy as they had no threat on their right flank. But again play Tottenham with Lennon - Hutton, Man Utd with Rafael - Nani, Arsenal with Walcott - Sagna and it will be much harder.

Trust me I'd love to see Ben Arfa and Jose working together, and while i believe he'd be more effective (might be wrong) centrally behind the striker theres no doubt that if they clicked they'd be the deadliest left flank in the Premier League.

It might be one of those cases then where we build the team to adapt to what Ben Arfa does, ala Ginola. Because if shows the kind of form he did against Everton then we'll murder teams, especially at home.

In the case of Jonas, he links up well with Jose obviously, but remember Opta posting on twitter that he's only completed 15% of his crosses this season, which is f***ing dire. He's very strong on the ball, quick and a decent passer. I'd be half tempted to experiment with him in the hole behind the front man next pre-season just to see if he could play there.

How did 15% compare to other wingers?  I can't believe that any cross conversion rate is very high.

we have a very, very strong midfield selection now

shame about the strikers and full backs really

Sturridge and Carroll would work brilliantly together I think, really hope we get him.

:thup:

He's the lively/quick/hungry partner Carroll could do with. May not score us a heap of goals but he'd benefit our team massively IMO.

we have a very, very strong midfield selection now

shame about the strikers and full backs really

Sturridge and Carroll would work brilliantly together I think, really hope we get him.

:thup:

He's the lively/quick/hungry partner Carroll could do with. May not score us a heap of goals but he'd benefit our team massively IMO.

Agreed. I'd be chuffed to bits if that was true and we got him.