Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sorry I wasn't having a go ha ha, just that posters comments and the relegation thing mentioned above I was wondering if there was some sort of resentment to us and being the resident Villa fan you would know what it was.

As you say though, we all have them. Was just wondering if there was something I was missing behind those examples :D

I have literally no feelings about Villa, except being slightly miffed about the relegation gloating they did.

TBF to Ireland he was pretty much forced to go to Villa in the first place, and it seemed like he resented being made a make-weight in someone else's transfer deal.

Hopefully he'll be another player with a point to prove who will prove it player for us.

See, that's the thing, nobody forces players to do anything these days.

I hope he does very well with you, too, as it means we'll either sell him to you, or we'll have him back after having put in a decent few months.

The problem is, this thread contains lots of the things I saw when he joined us.

1. "He's got something to prove"

2. "He's very talented" (this bit is true)

3. "He's been forced out of City, he'll flourish in this environment"

4. "Who cares if he's mental, he just wants to play football" (he didn't)

5. "He was fantastic two years ago, if we can get that back, we've a hell of a player"

6. "All that lying about his gran / miscarriages / whatever stuff is in the past" (it wasn't, he started pulling tricks with us)

etc etc etc.

The issue i have with him is that I strongly suspect he's so utterly bonkers, he's never going to get it sorted.

The difference is, you can't argue that he probably leaned on to move to Villa in the first place, he signed without a manager and the current manager clearly hasn't take as shine to him.

The situation is totally different with us. He's choosing to come here and we're very much settled (by our standards).

Guest Heneage

I have literally no feelings about Villa, except being slightly miffed about the relegation gloating they did.

TBF to Ireland he was pretty much forced to go to Villa in the first place, and it seemed like he resented being made a make-weight in someone else's transfer deal.

Hopefully he'll be another player with a point to prove who will prove it player for us.

I hope he does very well with you, too, as it means we'll either sell him to you, or we'll have him back after having put in a decent few months.

The problem is, this thread contains lots of the things I saw when he joined us.

5. "He was fantastic two years ago, if we can get that back, we've a hell of a player"

6. "All that lying about his gran / miscarriages / whatever stuff is in the past" (it wasn't, he started pulling tricks with us)

etc etc etc.

The issue i have with him is that I strongly suspect he's so utterly bonkers, he's never going to get it sorted.

Point 6 seems harsh.

As for the Villa fans that aren't fond of us so be it, that's a small group of a larger fanbase who probably weren't too happy to be humped 6-0 by the league's new boys.

You might be right brummie, I'm certainly not sure that he'll do well for us.

I just think the deal is low-risk and if he does well and we have a purchase price agreed up front then we could end up with a great buy.

All deals come with risk these days, innit.

it's interesting how many deals are done as loans nowadays, though. I guess, like you said, that limits the risk somewhat.

I bet I come back on here in four weeks time, though, and you're all saying he's fucking bonkers.

etc etc etc.

Point 6 seems harsh.

As for the Villa fans that aren't fond of us so be it, that's a small group of a larger fanbase who probably weren't too happy to be humped 6-0 by the league's new boys.

Why is it harsh?

It's true. Ruling himself out with a virus / sickness, then getting spotted out on the piss on the same night.

The difference is, you can't argue that he probably leaned on to move to Villa in the first place, he signed without a manager and the current manager clearly hasn't take as shine to him.

The situation is totally different with us. He's choosing to come here and we're very much settled (by our standards).

You're saying he's choosing to come to Newcastle, but he was leaned on to go to Villa without any real evidence for either of them.

However, if we're into conjecture, I suspect he's probably been leaned on to move to you, to be honest. He's clearly never going to play for us again if he carries on like this, and it is in our interest to move him on.

Like I said, I've no issue with him moving on, we're bringing in Bradley who is by all accounts a decent player, and his head is going to be in a better place than Ireland's for the rest of the season.

Everyone knows what SI can do, it is just a question of whether mentally he can deliver it with any regularity. I hope he does, but it's a bit too convenient to pin his failure to do so on the circumstances of his previous move. He hadn't been pulling up many trees at Man City prior to that, either.

Guest VegasToon

Glad for the singing.  He'll get my support.

BTW, we are all fucking mental because we support newcastle.  He will probably fit right in.

You're saying he's choosing to come to Newcastle, but he was leaned on to go to Villa without any real evidence for either of them.

However, if we're into conjecture, I suspect he's probably been leaned on to move to you, to be honest. He's clearly never going to play for us again if he carries on like this, and it is in our interest to move him on.

Like I said, I've no issue with him moving on, we're bringing in Bradley who is by all accounts a decent player, and his head is going to be in a better place than Ireland's for the rest of the season.

Everyone knows what SI can do, it is just a question of whether mentally he can deliver it with any regularity. I hope he does, but it's a bit too convenient to pin his failure to do so on the circumstances of his previous move. He hadn't been pulling up many trees at Man City prior to that, either.

I know he wasn't, but you were likening his move here to his move from City to you, when I think it's completely different circumstances.

You were in a mess when he moved, and he hasn't settled. We're more settled than you were then, we have a manager who has targeted him and wants him and he's clearly making more of a choice to come here than he did when he came to Villa from City (they wanted Milner and would only get him if Ireland moved the other way - there's no such deal 'to lose' here. Yes they're leaning on him to leave, but they're not bothered where he goes unlike with the Milner deal.)

Nutcase or not, I just think we'll see a more committed player than you did :dontknow:

That goal at Goodison, man. Absolute quality.

He scored some absolute crackers at City.

Remember one against Fulham he scored about three years ago, where he was on the edge of the box and just placed it in the top corner. Proper lush.

Guest VegasToon

Sounds good to me:

"FootballAgentPM

#nufc fans. You are getting an unbelievable player in Ireland. Don't underestimate him. On his day he will light up St James Park, trust me! "

That goal at Goodison, man. Absolute quality.

He scored some absolute crackers at City.

Remember one against Fulham he scored about three years ago, where he was on the edge of the box and just placed it in the top corner. Proper lush.

The goal at Goodison demonstrated how composed he is, he scored a goal against Blackburn on the opening day of last year that also showed that composure.

Likes a pop from outside the box as well, which we severely lack.

Where does everyone think he'll fit into the formation at though?  Do we play a 4-5-1 with him in CM behind Nolan and Carroll?

Nolan in CM and Ireland behind Carroll is the only sensible option really.

Off Carroll is the only place I could see him fitting in. Tiote, Nolan and Barton have all been good and won't be displaced easily from midfield, and he's not going left wing. If you put him in a midfield three then you've got Carroll up front on his own which doesn't get the best out of him really. Might work away from home I guess.

We really have enough centre mids so this shows a lack of faith in either the ability and/or fitness of Guthrie and Gosling. You could argue that Ireland at his best is a better player than both and we've taken a punt on him finding his form from a few years back. So perhaps he will be ahead of them in the pecking order should a space arise in midfield.

I'm sceptical he's a player we really need but obviously I hope he proves me wrong. Certainly not a like for like replacement for Routledge, which is what we did need. For that reason, I'd have been happier with Larsson who can play right wing and put a ball in. But who knows, he may help up front if he can tuck in just behind and chip in with goals.

I don't know who i'd have rather had tbh. Larsson permanently or Ireland on loan.

So long as he's not displacing anyone from the current midfield, like Ohmelads says, i think i'm happier with this move. It's a punt but if he regains his form - it's a marvellous signing. He was one of the best players in the league a couple of seasons ago, and that's no exaggeration. If we'd signed him then it'd have been a sensational signing and, at the time, i was convinced Villa had got the better deal.

I like Larsson but you know what you're getting. Steady performer with 'obvious' attributes.

Ireland's a punt because of his contentious state of mind, and the fact we do kinda need a replacement for Routledge. But i think we're safe from relegation and more likely to finish in the top half. There's every chance we could look back on this signing in three years and say "thank fuck we got first dibs on Ireland". If he does recapture the form of old, we've just signed a genuinely brilliant player.

Obviously, he's just as likely to continue stagnating, but i'm feeling more optimistic about the signing the more i think about it.

I don't know who i'd have rather had tbh. Larsson permanently or Ireland on loan.

So long as he's not displacing anyone from the current midfield, like Ohmelads says, i think i'm happier with this move. It's a punt but if he regains his form - it's a marvellous signing. He was one of the best players in the league a couple of seasons ago, and that's no exaggeration. If we'd signed him then it'd have been a sensational signing and, at the time, i was convinced Villa had got the better deal.

I like Larsson but you know what you're getting. Steady performer with 'obvious' attributes.

Ireland's a punt because of his contentious state of mind, and the fact we do kinda need a replacement for Routledge. But i think we're safe from relegation and more likely to finish in the top half. There's every chance we could look back on this signing in three years and say "thank f*** we got first dibs on Ireland". If he does recapture the form of old, we've just signed a genuinely brilliant player.

Obviously, he's just as likely to continue stagnating, but i'm feeling more optimistic about the signing the more i think about it.

I'm with you, worth remembering that his exceelent form was just 2 seasons ago and at the age of 24, he has time on his side. The only way things could screw up is if he himself does not have the motivation to capture his old form, but I think that is where our squad and players like Barton, Nolan, Enrique, Coloccini come in. We have a highly motivated squad and players who genuinely want to do well for the fans, there is a higher chace of these attributes rubbing off Ireland than the other way around.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If he was French I bet everyone would love this. Very similar sort of signing to the Ben Arfa one worth taking a punt on.

Correct

A midfield with options and competition for places that consists of

Barton

Nolan

HBA

Ireland

Jonas

Tiote

Gosling

Can only be a good thing