Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest sicko2ndbest

#nufc DON'T have an option to buy Stephen Ireland in loan deal. #avfc want him back in summer for a potential fresh start

Birmingham mail

Got to question his commitment if things start to go wrong

Glad for the singing.  He'll get my support.

BTW, we are all fucking mental because we support newcastle.  He will probably fit right in.

In a midfield with Joey Barton, Hatem Ben Arfa and Stephen Ireland, it'll be a sane fourth player who doesn't fit in.

Bit stupid if we don't have a purchase option. Lets just butter him up for Villa so he can go back raring to go next season.

There's plenty of that going on all through the league,we're doing the same with Kyle Walker for Spurs.

Loans. They're the new, errr, something else.

Guest MrSundlofer

Bit stupid if we don't have a purchase option.

To be honest, not much to do about it. I'm sure we wanted 'an option to buy' in the deal but Aston Villa rejected it... and we still want Ireland so we must continue without it.

If we want Ireland bad enough at the end of the season it'll mean:

A. He's played well.

B. Something at this club has made him improve.

If these things happen, i can imagine we'll buy him - clause or no clause. Why would he want to go back to Villa where he completely stagnated, when he's re-invented himself here? I'm speaking hypothetically, obviously.

If we want Ireland bad enough at the end of the season it'll mean:

A. He's played well.

B. Something at this club has made him improve.

If these things happen, i can imagine we'll buy him - clause or no clause. Why would he want to go back to Villa where he completely stagnated, when he's re-invented himself here? I'm speaking hypothetically, obviously.

Makes it easier for them to hike up the asking price though once he's playing well as other clubs will show interest then too.

It's not really comparable to the Ben Arfa deal at all because he wasn't being farmed out on loan due to poor form, at least not to my knowledge. The Ben Arfa deal is more comparable to us loaning out Bellamy years back because he fell out with Souness. We profited from a bust-up at another club and landed a very gifted player. The Ireland deal is another club loaning a player they don't see any use for this season.

See, that's the thing, nobody forces players to do anything these days.

I hope he does very well with you, too, as it means we'll either sell him to you, or we'll have him back after having put in a decent few months.

The problem is, this thread contains lots of the things I saw when he joined us.

1. "He's got something to prove"

2. "He's very talented" (this bit is true)

3. "He's been forced out of City, he'll flourish in this environment"

4. "Who cares if he's mental, he just wants to play football" (he didn't)

5. "He was fantastic two years ago, if we can get that back, we've a hell of a player"

6. "All that lying about his gran / miscarriages / whatever stuff is in the past" (it wasn't, he started pulling tricks with us)

etc etc etc.

The issue i have with him is that I strongly suspect he's so utterly bonkers, he's never going to get it sorted.

People are seeing what they want to see, and that is a good season from him in our relegation season, they are quite willing to forget that his good season is 1 in 5 1/2.  He could turn out to be a good signing for us yet the low risk that is mentioned is that we'll be playing a player who might not perform and we'll suffer during games because of it.  We don't even know how we're going to fit him into the team because his position isn't obvious due to Nolan playing in the position he's ideally suited to.