What has football come to?

Dave

I fully accept that when we signed the likes of Shearer and broke the world transfer record we were part of this ourselves, but what the fuck is going on? Seriously, it's a fucking joke how as soon as a player looks anything like decent the so-called top clubs are willing to take them for utterly stupid money. Where and when will this end?

Roman Abramovich is a fucking prick.

It's actually his fault we're losing Carroll when you think about it.

Falling out of love really. This should never happen. Of course it's obviously what us Newcastle fans will say on a day like this, but there's so much more than Carroll's transfer fee to it. Him being from the area seems to mean nothing to him nor does his nr.9 shirt.

At the end of the day, football is supposed to be about more than business and more than money. It's supposed to mean something.

Fair enough, people might say that's naive and it's just a business now. I that's the case, what's the difference between me supporting NUFC or choosing to support Chelsea for a few months? Or giving up on it completely?

If it's just entertainment, or just a business, then it ceases to be beautiful and I don't want anything to do with it.

At the moment I feel like an idiot for believing that we wouldn't sell Carroll or that the #9 shirt and NUFC meant anything to him.

Forgive me for having a lack of personal emotional connection to this but from the outside, surely this is Carroll's work? He's requested he wanted to leave, man. The tales of Ashley and co are pretty devastating but I can't fathom how on this occasion they are the main culprits.

Everyone's a c*** in this situation. Carroll was always going to go, Ashley was just trying to milk Liverpool for all he could get.

Carroll's a c***, no doubt, but imo he could have been convinced to stay if he was assured Newcastle were looking to progress.

This is the crux of the matter did Cuntoll see the wads of cash or our future ,both Cashley and the rest are a disgrace because a small fraction will be used as a replacement imho but hope im proved wrong .

At the end of the day, football is supposed to be about more than business and more than money. It's supposed to mean something.

Fair enough, people might say that's naive and it's just a business now. I that's the case, what's the difference between me supporting NUFC or choosing to support Chelsea for a few months? Or giving up on it completely?

If it's just entertainment, or just a business, then it ceases to be beautiful and I don't want anything to do with it.

At the moment I feel like an idiot for believing that we wouldn't sell Carroll or that the #9 shirt and NUFC meant anything to him.

Spot on. :(

:clap: :thup:

Well that's me finished with the club/football  from now on, I could go into a load of reasons why I feel like this but I basically just can't be bothered with it anymore. Not a knee jerk reaction either as I've felt like this for a long time, today is just the final straw.

When I come on here I'll just be checking out the chat section from now on.

At the top level, money Dave. Nothing else.

This morning none of us imagined Carroll would leave for Liverpool yet this afternoon about an hour before the transfer request was submitted I began to think he is definitely going. When a bid of £35M was mentioned, add on the 5 year contract upgrade plus bungs and keeping Carroll on the books started to look like a £50M asset and we could no longer say no.

This was a Geordie lad living the dream, not wanting to leave and a club not wanting to sell, but despite that he went. The agent or deal broker triumphed, ultimately funded by the oligarchs billions.

As you, Ian W and a few other have said it's a shame we become so emotionally attached to such a mercenary sport.

Money ruined the Premier League...another fine demonstration today.

Long gone are the days where there was an even playing field, money talks now and its bad....any team not in the "Top 4" produce a player with any kind of talent and they're gone faster than a cake at a fat kids birthday party.

Long gone are the days where there was an even playing field, money talks now and its bad....any team not in the "Top 4" produce a player with any kind of talent and they're gone faster than a cake at a fat kids birthday party.

When the hell was there an even playing field? This is nothing new to me. This is the way football has been my entire lifetime. The only difference now is larger sums and different clubs. Carroll is a man, and like most men he is thinking for himself. I remember people were arguing he would never leave us for the likes of Liverpool and Spurs, but this is not the reality for any footballer. Shearer is a one-off is so many ways.

If football means more than money or entertainment, what aspect of this excess was Andy Carroll the avatar of? Good times in Bambu?

I'm very quickly falling out of love with football. When that happens I guess I'll have to go back to real life. How depressing :(

texted my brother about the carroll news, I said to him "had enough off football". And I think this is genuinley the first time I've felt like that.

But I know I won't be gone for long. :lol:

When the hell was there an even playing field? This is nothing new to me. This is the way football has been my entire lifetime. The only difference now is larger sums and different clubs. Carroll is a man, and like most men he is thinking for himself. I remember people were arguing he would never leave us for the likes of Liverpool and Spurs, but this is not the reality for any footballer. Shearer is a one-off is so many ways.

Before Sky and the multi billion pound owners, they have ruined Football.

If football means more than money or entertainment, what aspect of this excess was Andy Carroll the avatar of? Good times in Bambu?

Well I thought he was a young local lad who cared about wearing the number nine, and he genuinely loved the club.

As I said, now I feel naive for believing that.

Really has gotten ridiculous. The day that we had a local lad wearing the number 9 and he jumped at the chance to move to a club who at the moment, to be quite honest, have a squad equal or worse than ours is the day that football dies for me. It's just sickening.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

.com have it spot on.

So why couldn't they wait? Because this is a dash for cash perhaps? Flogging the club's number one asset before high-tailing it out of town. We can but hope.

:facepalm: