SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

If and when Villa actually bid £9m then  I would expect us to match it if we are serious about bringing him back. Tbh though there's a different story every week about Villa/Sunderland/PSG/Liverpool all getting ready to slap in a bid.

Stop pissing about. Throw £9m at Wigan, £20m at Chelsea, hand out a couple of 60k a week or whatever contracts and let's get on with this f***ing summer.

Honestly man, are we seriously stumbling over whether to sign quality players like Zoggy and Sturridge or not?!

of course we are, because the quality of the players is a secondary concern

Unpalatable as it may seem the best chance we have of getting new ownership is for Ashley to get the debt to a lower level (or at least stop it increasing) thus making the club more marketable.

Would the club be more marketable as a bunch of bargain basement nobodies kicking around with the dregs of the premier league, or being on foreign TV every week playing good football with exciting players?  Seems like the kind of people willing to invest in a football club are not really people who get their excitement from balance sheets alone.

Yeah I'm not excited at all by the prospect of Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Cabaye, Ba and Tiote next season, bunch of bargain basement nobodies with no hope of playing good Football..

Unpalatable as it may seem the best chance we have of getting new ownership is for Ashley to get the debt to a lower level (or at least stop it increasing) thus making the club more marketable.

Would the club be more marketable as a bunch of bargain basement nobodies kicking around with the dregs of the premier league, or being on foreign TV every week playing good football with exciting players?  Seems like the kind of people willing to invest in a football club are not really people who get their excitement from balance sheets alone.

Well I don't think we have a squad consisting of "a bunch of bargain basement nobodies".

I don't think Ashley gets his excitement from the balance sheet alone and I'm sure no potential buyer would either. But unless you are talking about a Man City type scenario then the finances do matter to some extent. Why hasn't a club like Everton been sold? They consistently finish in the top half of the table, have a loyal fan base, good manager etc etc. The fact is that in their case they need a new stadium and no potential owner to date has wanted to fund that.

IMO we may as well forget about Ashley selling the club, it's just not going to happen unless a sheik takes a fancy to us - and if that happens it won't matter how much debt we have anyway. Ashley is reorganising our finances so the club becomes sustainable and he doesn't have to subsidise us so much - that's it.

So far we've done a pretty decent job of this summer, let's just see how it goes before we push the panic button. We're still fairly likely to get N'Zogbia anyway.

When Zoggy moves somewhere else on a deal we should be matching, then I'll criticise the club. Until then people need to chill out, it's only just July FFS.

If I thought the club were even interested in N'Zogbia I would also be critical if they were unwilling to match a reasonable offer.

But I still don't see why people are getting exited by the idea of a transfer in the works where the only positive indications are a source saying he fancies a return, and Pardew acknowledging (but playing down) reported interest in January.

Would the club be more marketable as a bunch of bargain basement nobodies kicking around with the dregs of the premier league, or being on foreign TV every week playing good football with exciting players?  Seems like the kind of people willing to invest in a football club are not really people who get their excitement from balance sheets alone.

Yeah I'm not excited at all by the prospect of Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Cabaye, Ba and Tiote next season, bunch of bargain basement nobodies with no hope of playing good Football..

I'm not saying that's what we don't have good players, I'm trying to explore this suggestion that marketability has a direct corrolation to the amount of debt cleared and nothing else - that the best way to court a buyer is through agressively reducing the debt.  That it's as simple as buying an asset like a  good player for £9m makes us 9,000,000 marketability points less attractive, while putting that money into clearing debt makes us 9,000,000 markability points more attractive.

Guest TurboTrev

Zog appears to want to come back, we have the money to buy him, but we haven't seemingly put in an offer of the £9 million that would at least bring his agent to the negotiating table.  Also, we began training today and the earlier new squad members commence training with us the better and to top it all, other clubs are now circling.  Unfortunately, to me that means he is not a top target for us, which is a bloody shame and I hope I'm wrong.

Much as though I'd love to have Charlie back and am convinced we could definitely get him if we wanted to, the last time any quotes (Journal) came out of the club about that possibility a couple of weeks back.... it was all about "a bun fight", "is he just a mercenary?" and "a lot of money to spend on one player who left under a cloud."

Nothing encouraging there whatsoever. And unless things have changed dramatically I just don't see, sadly, that we're going to put the effort in to make this deal happen.

I'm not saying that's what we don't have good players, I'm trying to explore this suggestion that marketability has a direct corrolation to the amount of debt cleared and nothing else - that the best way to court a buyer is through agressively reducing the debt.  That it's as simple as buying an asset like a  good player for £9m makes us 9,000,000 marketability points less attractive, while putting that money into clearing debt makes us 9,000,000 markability points more attractive.

Reducing debts no matter what the consequences isn't the way to improve the clubs marketability no, but I don't think anyones suggested that.

Guest kingdawson

Is this not one of kingdawson's wind ups?

Nowt on any of the tottingham feeds, but KingDawson is a noted s*** hot part of the ITK industry.

That's Martin Jol not me.

Btw i was lying again. I like causing panic on this site when it comes to players you deperatley want. I will hit the Matudi thread when you're least expecting it.

Was gonna say, why the fuck would they need him with Lennon and Bale...

Squad depth? We only need a first eleven :)

So 60k a week for a bench warmer? They've got Pienaar too.

I guess your right, they have Bentley and Kranjčar too, although they are likely to ne leaving. Could he be backup to Van Der Vaart maybe?