SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

£9m to £12m for N'Zogbia when he is in the last year of his contract is not a bargain unless you'd rate him as a £20m+ player if he had 2 or more years left on his contract.

A players worth shouldn't be decided by his length of contract.  It should be judged on his value to the team that's buying him.

True, but you'd effectively be paying a fortune for one year's service, when you could sign him for nowt a year later. This is why we didn't sign Beckford (who turned out to be turboshite) because it would be uneccessary spending.

That's nonsense tbh.

And that point is only valid if:

a) you don't need him for the coming season and b) there is absolutely zero chance of him going elsewhere at any point in the next twelve months. Neither of those things are true.

True, but you'd effectively be paying a fortune for one year's service, when you could sign him for nowt a year later. This is why we didn't sign Beckford (who turned out to be turboshite) because it would be uneccessary spending.

I can understand that but the same could be said about buying any player to a certain degree because all contracts come to an end.

We want midfielders capable of goals & good at running with the ball/opening things up.

Hes the perfect signing for our right wing & we're his favoured destination. Hope we sort it out.

£9m to £12m for N'Zogbia when he is in the last year of his contract is not a bargain unless you'd rate him as a £20m+ player if he had 2 or more years left on his contract.

If he was English he would be worth shit loads more.

Personally I rate him as capable of playing in a top 4 side, so for me £9m to £12m to get him is no brainer, even if he is in his last year of contract.

If he was English he would be worth shit loads more.

Personally I rate him as capable of playing in a top 4 side, so for me £9m to £12m to get him is no brainer, even if he is in his last year of contract.

I'd just get him in whatever.

He can play as a winger or just off a front man so he'd be useful to have on board.

I really don't understand the "last year of his contract" argument. Why should that affect what we're willing to pay for him in the slightest?

It should and usually does in many cases, of course the effect it has on the fee depends on how in demand the player is.  But if the player only has 1 year left clubs can be inclined to wait until January when the selling club begins to get desperate to get anything for a player who can leave in 6 months time.  I mean do you reckon we'll get Enrique's true worth with him wanting to leave and only having one year left?

I really don't understand the "last year of his contract" argument. Why should that affect what we're willing to pay for him in the slightest?

Of course it should, and usually does.  Do you reckon we'll get Enrique's true worth with him wanting to leave and only having one year left?

I never said it wouldn't affect what the selling club might get for him, I said it shouldn't affect what the buying club are willing to pay for him.

There's a very crucial difference.

That's nonsense tbh.

And that point is only valid if:

a) you don't need him for the coming season and b) there is absolutely zero chance of him going elsewhere at any point in the next twelve months. Neither of those things are true.

The point is the selling club risk getting nothing in 12 months - whoever is the buyer - so their position is weaker with 12 months to go on a contract. In the case of the Zog Wigan can only play hardball if they are sure they can sell in this or the next window. Zog can play hardball on his £65k pw as he knows this is what he could get in 12 months. NUFC don't want to play a regular transfer fee and an out of contract salary. Who blinks first........not MA.

Wullie's right like. Especially in Zoggy's case.

We should just throw the money at them and get him tied down to a contract.

Aye if it was up to me I'd sign Ashley's cheque yesterday and get it done, the odd million here or there - what difference does it make?

Of course it should, and usually does.  Do you reckon we'll get Enrique's true worth with him wanting to leave and only having one year left?

I never said it wouldn't affect what the selling club might get for him, I said it shouldn't affect what the buying club are willing to pay for him.

If your Man City or Chelsea maybe.  But any club that's actually trying to get value for money will see a pretty big connection between what the selling club should be able to get for a player and what they're prepared to pay.

I understand what your saying, if we need the player we should just pay whatever and get him in, and that sounds great, but at the risk of starting a nasty discussion, this isn't Freddy Shepherd land anymore.

Wullie's right like. Especially in Zoggy's case.

We should just throw the money at them and get him tied down to a contract.

Aye if it was up to me I'd sign Ashley's cheque yesterday and get it done, the odd million here or there - what difference does it make?

None when you're buying a quality player.

Guest Recoba

Just have a feeling he will end up at Villa.

They will need quality and may want to make a statement after losing Young and likely Downing.

Plus Mcleish tried to sign him before.

I reckon Villa will pay the odds.

They will need quality and may want to make a statement after losing Young and likely Downing.

Or perhaps McLeish won't bother after the way Zog fucked him about last time?

Guest taps01

Agreed

Of course it should, and usually does.  Do you reckon we'll get Enrique's true worth with him wanting to leave and only having one year left?

If your Man City or Chelsea maybe.  But any club that's actually trying to get value for money will see a pretty big connection between what the selling club should be able to get for a player and what they're prepared to pay.

I understand what your saying, if we need the player we should just pay whatever and get him in, and that sounds great, but at the risk of starting a nasty discussion, this isn't Freddy Shepherd land anymore.

No I'm not saying that, I'm saying that if we value the player at a certain amount but we're not going to pay that amount in this situation because of his contract, then that's ridiculous.

If we value CN'Z at, let's say, £10m but we're not willing to pay £10m simply because we think his contract situation demands that we should pay less, running the risk of Wigan keeping him or somebody else taking him and us ending up with nobody/a lesser player then the situation is a no-brainer.

If we simply don't value him at what Wigan say his price tag is, then that's a different issue and completely unrelated to his contract position.

If it's a choice between doing the deal for £10m tomorrow and having him line up against sunderland or trying to save £2m by getting him on August 31st and run the risk of him lining up against us for them then sign the fucking cheque and hand it over tbh. We lost millions of pounds on the last day of the season due to one goal, the points that a player like N'Zogbia could get you in August alone could ultimately get you the money back.

FWIW, if N'Zogbia was English, you'd be looking at £20m minimum.

Guest Recoba

Or perhaps McLeish won't bother after the way Zog f***ed him about last time?

Not sure what happened with the failed Zog to Brum move. Don't trust Tue board  there though. They have made moves for players, like Robbie Keane, who they had no intention of signing just to appear big time

If Villa are prepared to offer top wedge to Wigan and Zog I can't see us matching their offer.

Not sure what happened with the failed Zog to Brum move. Don't trust Tue board  there though. They have made moves for players, like Robbie Keane, who they had no intention of signing just to appear big time

If Villa are prepared to offer top wedge to Wigan and Zog I can't see us matching their offer.

I can if we seriously want him. Most clubs would try to use the contract situation to get a better price and if that's what we are doing we'll get him. At the moment no one is prepared to pay £12m, or even £9m from the top four. I'm not convinced we are serious about bringing him here though.

Guest Recoba

I can if we seriously want him. Most clubs would try to use the contract situation to get a better price and if that's what we are doing we'll get him. At the moment no one is prepared to pay £12m, or even £9m from the top four. I'm not convinced we are serious about bringing him here though.

That's it.

I don't think we are serious about any signing.  We are happy to play the field and look for a bargain rather than go all out to sign a desired target.

Would love to be wrong, still plenty of time.

i'll be surprised and delighted if we get him tbh, all the circumstances point towards him going elsewhere. imo we're so obsessed with getting value for money that paying what someone's actually worth isnt good enough when we can get another player for half their actual value because of a different set of circumstances. it's pretty ironic when you think about it.

No I'm not saying that, I'm saying that if we value the player at a certain amount but we're not going to pay that amount in this situation because of his contract, then that's ridiculous.

FWIW, if N'Zogbia was English, you'd be looking at £20m minimum.

I'd probably just pay the price IF I was in charge (or at least offer £11m :)).  But unlike past regimes I think the current board look at every signing as a business deal, so the players contract will have a definite effect on what they value that player at.

Also I think £20m minimum is a bit of an exageration, Young just went for £16m and he's at least as good as Zog.

Something else to consider is that nobody else has made a £12m bid for Zog yet.  So if he's worth that and its just us not willing to pay what he's worth, then why hasn't he gone elsewhere?  You might say because its only June, well its also only June for Newcastle United, we may yet make that bid.

Not sure what happened with the failed Zog to Brum move. Don't trust Tue board  there though. They have made moves for players, like Robbie Keane, who they had no intention of signing just to appear big time

Apparently they had everything agreed when N'Zogbia asked for an extra £10k per week at the last minute.

Apparently they had everything agreed when N'Zogbia asked for an extra £10k per week at the last minute.

That's their version.

That's their version.

Who's?