SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

Just have a feeling he will end up at Villa.

They will need quality and may want to make a statement after losing Young and likely Downing.

Plus Mcleish tried to sign him before.

I reckon Villa will pay the odds.

Or perhaps McLeish won't bother after the way Zog f***ed him about last time?

Not sure what happened with the failed Zog to Brum move. Don't trust Tue board  there though. They have made moves for players, like Robbie Keane, who they had no intention of signing just to appear big time

If Villa are prepared to offer top wedge to Wigan and Zog I can't see us matching their offer.

Apparently they had everything agreed when N'Zogbia asked for an extra £10k per week at the last minute.

That's their version.

Who's?

Brum's obviously. Who else would leak that sort of story? In any case all it proves is that Zog didn't want to go to Birmingham if it's true. I can well imagine him asking Sunderland to pay an extra 10k if they wanted to compete for the signature.

They will need quality and may want to make a statement after losing Young and likely Downing.

Not sure what happened with the failed Zog to Brum move. Don't trust Tue board  there though. They have made moves for players, like Robbie Keane, who they had no intention of signing just to appear big time

If Villa are prepared to offer top wedge to Wigan and Zog I can't see us matching their offer.

Apparently they had everything agreed when N'Zogbia asked for an extra £10k per week at the last minute.

That's their version.

Who's?

Brum's obviously. Who else would leak that sort of story? In any case all it proves is that Zog didn't want to go to Birmingham if it's true. I can well imagine him asking Sunderland to pay an extra 10k if they wanted to compete for the signature.

Seems a probable story to me when you read the quotes from both sides.

McLeish

"We did everything that was asked of us and then the goalposts were moved at the last minute," said Birmingham manager Alex McLeish.

"It was very important to us as a club to stick to our principals and look after the long-term interests of Birmingham City as we are custodians of the club.

"We remain ambitious and committed to adding extra quality to the playing squad but this deal became one that was not in the interests of the club.

"The Board worked with me extremely hard to try and get this one over the line and I thank them for their support."

N'Zogbia

"Now the transfer window has closed, we all have to try to forget about what has happened in the past,"N'Zogbia said. "I was close to going to Birmingham but, in the end, I just wasn't interested enough.

"It wasn't the right club for me and I wanted to stay with Wigan. I'm fine now, happy with the situation, and just want to get back onto the field and play my football."

That's their version.

Who's?

Seems a probable story to me when you read the quotes from both sides.

McLeish

"We did everything that was asked of us and then the goalposts were moved at the last minute," said Birmingham manager Alex McLeish.

"It was very important to us as a club to stick to our principals and look after the long-term interests of Birmingham City as we are custodians of the club.

"We remain ambitious and committed to adding extra quality to the playing squad but this deal became one that was not in the interests of the club.

"The Board worked with me extremely hard to try and get this one over the line and I thank them for their support."

N'Zogbia

"Now the transfer window has closed, we all have to try to forget about what has happened in the past,"N'Zogbia said. "I was close to going to Birmingham but, in the end, I just wasn't interested enough.

"It wasn't the right club for me and I wanted to stay with Wigan. I'm fine now, happy with the situation, and just want to get back onto the field and play my football."

That ties in what I just posted in the reply before yours. He clearly didn't want to go there. It's actually encouraging as sources close to him are putting the word out that he wants to come back here. So my hunch is he will end up here IF the club really do want him. Whether we will pay big money to bring in a new striker and Zog I have real doubts.

It gets the general point across though, surely? How do you think Dave is relaying the gist of it back to you?

Might be wrong but I'm assuming he's using a translator.

It gets the general point across though, surely? How do you think Dave is relaying the gist of it back to you?

Might be wrong but I'm assuming he's using a translator.

but he has 14 pcs running together to produce the best results.

Given the inflated transfer fees for English players if Young is £16m with the same contract situation then N'Zogbia is not worth £12m. £10m max, but probably more like £8m once Wigan start getting nervous. This is what we're waiting for. I think we're going to get him, but as others have said it will be late.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-athletic/n_zogbia_pursuit_is_hotting_up_1_3533630

N’Zogbia pursuit is hotting up

Published on Friday 1 July 2011 11:07

ASTON Villa – still the hot favourites in the race to tempt Charles N’Zogbia away from Latics – are believed to be preparing to make a bid for the flying Frenchman over the next couple of days.

Newly-installed Villa Park boss Alex McLeish is desperate to fill the gap left by former captain Ashley Young, who signed for Manchester United last week.

And Latics ace N’Zogbia fits the bill as an ideal replacement.

Speculation indicates that a bid of around £9 million will be handed into Latics from Villa, who will have that kind of money to spend should, as expected, Stewart Downing moves to Liverpool for a fee of around £20 million.

McLeish is hoping to get his man at the second time of asking after the 25-year-old’s move to the Scot’s former club Birmingham collapsed last season.

McLeish thought he had wrapped up the signing in August when he was in charge at St Andrew’s, only for the move to stall at the final hurdle when N’Zogbia demanded increased terms.

McLeish now has a higher wage structure at Villa Park, so the chance of clinching a deal is much more likely and Villa have recently hardened up their interest in the highly-rated playmaker.

But there are also a host of other Premier League clubs said to be fighting for his signature.

A source close to the Frenchman has revealed that a busy few days were expected as the transfer window officially opens up today.

“A number of clubs are interested and there will be plenty of activity over the coming days,” said the source.

“A decision could be made soon but it’s too early to say where he could move to.

“The next few days are important.”

N’Zogbia’s former employees, Newcastle, are also believed to be in the race, as are Sunderland, while Everton and Liverpool have both been linked.

Normandy-born N’Zogbia, who joined Latics from Newcastle in February, 2009, made 38 league and cup appearances last season.

He scored 10 goals – nine in the Premier League and one in a 2-1 League Cup victory against Preston North End last September.

Another reason he'd pick us over Villa. I'd imagine McLeish was a big part of him not being "interested enough"......he's a very dull manager with a dull playing style. Despite changing colours, the problem should remain. Unless he's the type who is controlled by money (which he probably is). It's so frustrating if we aren't going to bother with this one.

Guess we are just holding out due to the high fee demanded. Once Wigan back down and realize that a) nobody will pay that much for a player with only a year left on his contract and b) Zog alone will not save them, then thing will get interesting. I guess at that point, we will eventually see if Zog really wants to come here, or if he just wanted to come because we are the only/best option at the time.

That is... if our interest in him is real.

Guess we are just holding out due to the high fee demanded. Once Wigan back down and realize that a) nobody will pay that much for a player with only a year left on his contract and b) Zog alone will not save them, then thing will get interesting. I guess at that point, we will eventually see if Zog really wants to come here, or if he just wanted to come because we are the only/best option at the time.

That is... if our interest in him is real.

...just playing with thoughts here. But if Zog does sign does that mean that Jonas or Barton is leaving? Can see Ashley hold out for an offer for either of them, to see what he can squeeze out there, and that will ultimately tell how much we are willing to pay for Zog.

Don't believe Zog is one of the two Pardew is talking about bringing in. I think very much like Ireland he is a player we are registering interest in but sitting and waiting until the last day of the transfer window.

Think we will pick them both up if the deal is right, otherwise we will sit tight. Alot is going to depend on how preseason goes too, I think we will be waiting to see if any players are going to step up and how the new players are going to fit into the squad. I think we are where we want to be to survive, minus another quality striker, but we will flesh out the squad if an attractive deal is in the offing.