Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

Bentley would be the closest we could get in terms of style to replace him off the top of my head. In theory we could do better, in practise; who knows.

Bentley and Barton are polar fucking opposites. Bentley is the epitome of a spice boy, a total flair player. Barton is a grafter.

On the ball is what I meant. Paceless, doesn't beat a man particular but has the occaisonal world class delivery and can influence a game heavily from out wide at the peak of their powers.

Bentley would be the closest we could get in terms of style to replace him off the top of my head. In theory we could do better, in practise; who knows.

Bentley and Barton are polar fucking opposites. Bentley is the epitome of a spice boy, a total flair player. Barton is a grafter.

On the ball is what I meant. Paceless, doesn't beat a man particular but has the occaisonal world class delivery and can influence a game heavily from out wide at the peak of their powers.

You have just described Nolan. I agree with you though that Barton was more of a workhorse, but it's obvious the club/manager wants to try and lay more attractive football. Bentley would be a good step in the right direction as Barton replacement.

You have just described Nolan. I agree with you though that Barton was more of a workhorse, but it's obvious the club/manager wants to try and lay more attractive football. Bentley would be a good step in the right direction as Barton replacement.

Eh? GHow on earth has he just described Nolan?

Aye, Nolan had a penchant for his delivery and playing out wide here. Fool.

Eh? How on earth has he just described Nolan?

In bold.

Barton a grafter, yeah right.

He might try hard, but a lot of players do.

??? Absolutely no question that Barton's a grafter tbh. I'd honestly say he's just about the biggest grafter in the side (maybe Jonas). When he played out wide last season, he covered absolutely shitloads of ground. Always an option in the middle... tucked in when we're in possession... then tracking back out wide on the defensive. Shitloads of stamina, shitloads of graft. I'd argue that it's one of the things we'll miss the most from him because, personally, i thought his service was a touch inconsistent - certainly in play.

Barton a grafter, yeah right.

He might try hard, but a lot of players do.

??? Absolutely no question that Barton's a grafter tbh. I'd honestly say he's just about the biggest grafter in the side. When he played out wide last season, he covered absolutely shitloads of ground. Always an option in the middle... tucked in when we're in possession... then tracking back out wide on the defensive. Shitloads of stamina, shitloads of graft. I'd argue that it's one of the things we'll miss the most from him because, personally, i thought his service was a touch inconsistent - certainly in play.

Nah Tiote was a better grafter.

In the middle he's the square root of shite, Matt. Gets bullied far too often and no longer has the legs to be considered a grafter. He's a wide-midfielder who sometimes drifts inside, usually to the team's detriment.

Whatever gap Barton leaves, I'm convinced Cabaye will more than fill it.

I have never considered Barton a grafter at all. I think people tend to get carried away by his aggressive personality and apply it to his style as a footballer, plus the odd flying tackle, but he's never been a ball-winning player. His strengths lie elsewhere.

In the middle he's the square root of shite, Matt. Gets bullied far too often and no longer has the legs to be considered a grafter. He's a wide-midfielder who sometimes drifts inside, usually to the team's detriment.

Whatever gap Barton leaves, I'm convinced Cabaye will more than fill it.

That's what i mean - tucking in from the wide position. He's crap in the middle.

Disagree that tucking in from wide is to the team's detriment.

I have never considered Barton a grafter at all. I think people tend to get carried away by his aggressive personality and apply it to his style as a footballer, plus the odd flying tackle, but he's never been a ball-winning player. His strengths lie elsewhere.

This is exactly right. Some seem to have this image of him as a durable, tough-tackling powerhouse with a terrific engine. He's anything but.

This is exactly right. Some seem to have this image of him as a durable, tough-tackling powerhouse with a terrific engine. He's anything but.

:thup:

I read this on other club's boards all the time. "Box-to-box" "midfield allrounder" etc

May I ask what appears to have changed your mind on Barton? You have been one of his biggest fans on here for some time as I recall.

I think Ronaldo is a fan but he's also always been quite outspoken about what he thinks are his limitations.

May I ask what appears to have changed your mind on Barton? You have been one of his biggest fans on here for some time as I recall.

I like him very much as a player, and have defended him time after time when I thought the criticism was unwarranted and his value to the team was being underrated by some.

I like him very much as a player, and have defended him time after time when I thought the criticism was unwarranted and his value to the team was being underrated by some.

But your posts yesterday/today seem to suggest you don't mind him leaving, is this right?