Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

We're better off looking at emerging talents in Europe as Liverpool have done with Suarez, obviously being realistic as to who we can attract. Forget about English strikers, we just sold the best one available to us.

Young strikers scoring well in leagues such as France, Holland, Germany, we should be keeping an eye on. We should have the kind of money to prise these players away without giving massive fees to other Premier League clubs.

If we do go for any England-based players I'd like to see us put a tempting offer in for Adam Johnson. He's just not getting many games at Man City and if they sign someone in the summer we may be able to move in. They would rather sell to us than a title rival. I know he is on the fringes of their team and still young, but they're active every summer in the market so anything is possible. They are greedy for world class players and he just may become surplus.

Agree with that on both counts.

Johnson is a good shout and we might surprise ourselves with some of the emerging talent about on the continent.

Guest bmoregeordie

i don't know why any side in our position would buy english right now, especially since we need strikers. look at the prices on bent and carroll. at least 10M too high.

if we find value, it will likely be from other countries.

We're better off looking at emerging talents in Europe as Liverpool have done with Suarez, obviously being realistic as to who we can attract. Forget about English strikers, we just sold the best one available to us.

Young strikers scoring well in leagues such as France, Holland, Germany, we should be keeping an eye on. We should have the kind of money to prise these players away without giving massive fees to other Premier League clubs.

If we do go for any England-based players I'd like to see us put a tempting offer in for Adam Johnson. He's just not getting many games at Man City and if they sign someone in the summer we may be able to move in. They would rather sell to us than a title rival. I know he is on the fringes of their team and still young, but they're active every summer in the market so anything is possible. They are greedy for world class players and he just may become surplus.

Johnson is a good shout and we might surprise ourselves with some of the emerging talent about on the continent.

the problem with johnson would be that although his fee probably wouldn't be that great he's probably on ridiculous wages.

the problem with johnson would be that although his fee probably wouldn't be that great he's probably on ridiculous wages.

Yeah - I know for a fact what Milner is on and it's frightening.

If Johnson is anywhere near that it's a complete no go.

We should be looking at teams in Spain because the football that is played by some teams is very, very good. Teams like Getafe and Mallorca have had a couple of years of playing good football. Many of their players are talented on the ball and they wouldn't be expensive given how both clubs aren't rich, especially Mallorca. If we could exploit these teams (and many others in a similar position) then we'd be able to get more than our fair share of good players for knock-down prices.

Honestly, we should look to sign Brazilian or Argentinian talents playing for u-20 or u-21 and so forth so we have a chance of them getting a work permit.

Or we go into the continent of Europe and search for young players who are scoring plenty of goals in leagues such as Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey and do some bargaining there. Belgium especially has an eye for developing young players.

Guest Roger Kint

Adel Taarabt (Man U supposedly put off him after radging at his teammates against Hull)

Skjelbred

Van Wolfswinkle

Adam Johnson

£35m cover them lot?

If you are going to cover the £25m difference then yes.

Guest Roger Kint

Phil Airey will be worth £25m by then remember

If he can convince those players to pay for free to fit into your plan then i have no doubt he can convince somebody that he is worth it!

Guest bmoregeordie

Anyone else notice how good Sessegnon looked against Chelsea yesterday?

I think the place to get reasonably-priced talent isn't La Liga or Serie A in most cases, but rather Ligue 1, Eredivesie, and other smaller European Premier leagues. I worry about the cultural transition of players in South America and Asia. But there are a lot of cases of successful European transfers into England.

Anyone know why there are so few transfers into England from the Bundesliga?

If that deal comes crashing down, I'll hurt inside.

haha, yes it's never going to happen. Too good for us, unfortunately, but if we finish top 6 than maybe who knows. :lol:

it`s alright.....we have Neymar as our backup plan.

Rumour is Johnson's wages are miniscule in comparison to most of his City teamates.