Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

Bassong's only played a dozen or so games in the league despite King & Woodgate's injuries, would anyone take him back if Spurs were selling?

Yes. Better than what we've got, Colo excluded.

Can't see Spurs taking a loss on him (not their way) and I think for that price there'd be better available.

Bassong can f*** off IMO, if he wimped out of the promotion challenge I don't want him anywhere near our club now.

Any rational footballer would have left this club at that time. People forget that supporters were bracing for a long spell in that division and serious financial difficulties. We went down at the same time at Middleborough and it was widely speculated that we would be experiencing the same fate. It's a short career, and I don't blame anyone (especially someone with no connection to us) for leaving like that. He's a very good footballer who provides cover at two positions which we lack it. I'd have him here anytime.

Bassong can f*** off IMO, if he wimped out of the promotion challenge I don't want him anywhere near our club now.

Any rational footballer would have left this club at that time. People forget that supporters were bracing for a long spell in that division and serious financial difficulties. We went down at the same time at Middleborough and it was widely speculated that we would be experiencing the same fate. It's a short career, and I don't blame anyone (especially someone with no connection to us) for leaving like that. He's a very good footballer who provides cover at two positions which we lack it. I'd have him here anytime.

This.

Bassong is shit anyway. Did have some decent matches, but also managed some major fuckups ruined the game for us: stupid red cards, unnecessary penalties.

He's young and was in his first season in the Premiership, how many time did S.Taylor fuck up for us?, how many times did Shawcross do it for Stoke?, how many times did Colo mess up for us in his first season?

It's a shame that spurs don't play him, thats holding him back, he should move on now.

Bassong is s*** anyway. Did have some decent matches, but also managed some major fuckups ruined the game for us: stupid red cards, unnecessary penalties.

He's young and was in his first season in the Premiership, how many time did S.Taylor f*** up for us?, how many times did Shawcross do it for Stoke?, how many times did Colo mess up for us in his first season?

It's a shame that spurs don't play him, thats holding him back, he should move on now.

spurs aren't playing him cos when he's played he hasn't been all that good.

To bring back any player that left immediately following the relegation should be against footballing ethics. I wouldn't touch them with a fifty foot bargepole. None of them. Cunts.

To bring back any player that left immediately following the relegation should be against footballing ethics. I wouldn't touch them with a fifty foot bargepole. None of them. Cunts.

C****?

Happy they all left, with the exception of Bassong, and Beye to a degree ...

To bring back any player that left immediately following the relegation should be against footballing ethics. I wouldn't touch them with a fifty foot bargepole. None of them. c***s.

The likes of Barton and Enrique aren't prepared to sign new contracts unless we show ambition, how is leaving what looked like a sinking ship any different? Plus a number of people would take N'Zogbia back even though he thought Newcastle was beneath him, I think the Zog has more potential to disturb the balance in the dressing room that Bassong. Besides, the team that Bassong left is nothing like the current one. I don't blame him for wanting out.

The fact is that he's hit a wall in his career, I think his return would be great for everyone. I wouldn't hesitate taking him back for 6m or so, considering that he's young, versatile and premiership proven.

i had a look through the bassong thread- the consensus on here was pretty much that he was one of our most popular players (bit like tiote atm), and that he was far and away our player of the season, best signing in the league that year, comparisons to woodgate and so on.

funny how short people's memories can be.

i had a look through the bassong thread- the consensus on here was pretty much that he was one of our most popular players (bit like tiote atm), and that he was far and away our player of the season, best signing in the league that year, comparisons to woodgate and so on.

No-one is disputing his ability, though. The reasoning behind not wanting him back is due to the negative effects it could potentially have on the team spirit, seeing as he was apparently one of those players who wanted out the summer we got relegated. Seeing as the 'senior pros' told those particular players not to come back to the club (I'm assuming this means Barton, Nolan, Smith, Harper etc), and also considering those players have all been integral either on the pitch or in the dressing room, it would be a pretty risky idea.

There isn't sufficient need to chance it and bring him back, imo. We can look elsewhere and hopefully unearth another gem.

Absolutely, Pilko. Not a fact of how good they were, it's the fact that they weren't (and were never) up for the fight. They don't deserve a move back to Newcastle.

At Tomlkier... i honestly don't know how you can't see the differences between the likes of Bassong, Owen, Martins etc than the likes of Barton and Enrique. I'll give you a start... the latter are both still here two years after the relegation, reviving us as a Premier League club. The formers jumped ship at the first opportunity they got.

It's an age-old argument, i'm not saying any more than that. But if we were to bring any player back in from that 08/09 year, i'd be shocked and pretty appalled.

No-one is disputing his ability, though. The reasoning behind not wanting him back is due to the negative effects it could potentially have on the team spirit, seeing as he was apparently one of those players who wanted out the summer we got relegated. Seeing as the 'senior pros' told those particular players not to come back to the club (I'm assuming this means Barton, Nolan, Smith, Harper etc), and also considering those players have all been integral either on the pitch or in the dressing room, it would be a pretty risky idea.

There isn't sufficient need to chance it and bring him back, imo. We can look elsewhere and hopefully unearth another gem.

I don't want him back, but to defend him a bit:

It was easier for players like Barton, Nolan, Coloccini, Enrique and Smith to stay and go down with Newcastle, as they were on huge wages, and would certainly not get a better contract anywhere else. Bassong on the other hand were on a fraction of what the others were on, despite being one of the best players for us that season. I can not see that we would offer him a new improved contract after relegation, so it's no surprise that he chose to walk. I don't blame him at all. Win win situation for all imo, as we got a good profit on him, and we managed without him with no problems at all, and still do.