Football in pubs: North East pubs facing foreign channel crackdown

Guest neesy111

Wigan with their 1 subscription :lol:

I dunno like. A club selling TV rights would probably mean we'd see more of Wigan and Blackburn because of cheaper rates than of Man U and Chelsea who would charge a fortune.

Still think they should broadcast all games in a subscription game selector red button style way.

People will watch it anyway, might as well make it legal.

More people would probably buy sky that way.. I know I would.

Wigan with their 1 subscription :lol:

I dunno like. A club selling TV rights would probably mean we'd see more of Wigan and Blackburn because of cheaper rates than of Man U and Chelsea who would charge a fortune.

I bet MA the greedy bastard would try and pull a fast one aswell.

#

Court decides Premier League cannot claim copyright of football matches but can for tv graphics, the league anthem, + video sequences.

by JoelHillsSky via twitter 9:38 AM

#

Prem League currently pumps out live "clean" feed of games for foreign broadcasters. Expect it to be stamped with graphics henceforth!

by JoelHillsSky via twitter 9:40 AM

So does that mean the premier league will look to get around this ruling by putting their logo on all the feeds they put out, therefore allowing them to maintain how and to who the foreign providers distribute?

#

Court decides Premier League cannot claim copyright of football matches but can for tv graphics, the league anthem, + video sequences.

#

Prem League currently pumps out live "clean" feed of games for foreign broadcasters. Expect it to be stamped with graphics henceforth!

So does that mean the premier league will look to get around this ruling by putting their logo on all the feeds they put out, therefore allowing them to maintain how and to who the foreign providers distribute?

Crop video stream and stream is no longer copyright. Only way I can see control staying is Sky buying the lot or Premier League buying the lot and selling it on, if that is indeed possible ?

#

#

Crop video stream and stream is no longer copyright. Only way I can see control staying is Sky buying the lot or Premier League buying the lot and selling it on, if that is indeed possible ?

Cropping won't stop all the screen transition graphics and stuff. Starwipe etc.

Presumably the foreign broadcasters pay Sky for the 'clean' feed of the games though? Wouldn't that revenue be in danger if they stopped the clean feed and made it a branded one?

Foreign channels would still buy it for their local market. It would just mean Sky could legally prevent it being sold on into the UK market.

Just read the sentence today. As somebody who works in the media what can I say: WOAH. This is huge, huge and will effect not only sports, but all media business throughout the world (Europe is a key media market).

It will suck for people like me (although one has to wait to see how this is applied since a single market for media content looks easy on concept but hard on practice), mind, but should lead to greater good for the consumer as rights prices should become lower.

What will happen is that sports rights will become less valuable, which should mean smaller TV contracts for clubs.

A key to media financing is territory-by-territory sales. You get a much higher amount selling rights to countries one-by-one than a larger entity like the entire EU. This applies to sports but also to movies (American independent film lives on European rights sales, a little known fact) and television. My expectation is that will force producers to reduce costs, and in the case of sports, clubs will be able to charge less for their contracts.

The PL could just bump up the asking prices for foreign tv companies, meaning they either dont buy rights or those companies up their subscription costs.

Wish we went like Sweden and Finland with hockey and Germany with football where you can buy a "Season ticket" to see every single game! Cant see it happening for a while like!

Out of interest, the cheapest option at the moment to get Premiership football is with Albanian provider Tring at £250 a year. They show 8 live games out of 10 each weekend.

The Greek Nova Sport one being mentioned in this article is about £1000.

Guest Kevlaar

Would love to see it go ESPN/Fox Sports style and have red button match choice - from a residential consumer point of view

Not an expert so don't know whether this could actually happen soon, altough iI do reckon it'll ultimately happen. NFL match choice on sky a few years back was a god send