Do the local media brown nose the club/Ashley too much?

Big Geordie

Heard an interesting call on Total Sport last night - fella made a comment on the Keegan court-case (where those running the club admitted to lying to fans and the local media), which was nipped in the bud by the host. His excuse was because it was a court case, that it couldn't be discussed - despite the admissions of the club being proven. Opens up a bigger question though in that do the local media (BBC/ITV, Journal and the Chon) back the club and the regime too much? It's my thinking that the media are there to represent the likes of us and not align themselves with the club in order to get a first break on new stories.

Any thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Not that I've noticed... my Dad talks some total shit about Newcastle and he's picked most of it up from the Chronicle.

If anything they're too negative and ignore the financial reality too often.

Basically they're just shit... as with 90% of football writers.

Heard an interesting call on Total Sport last night - fella made a comment on the Keegan court-case (where those running the club admitted to lying to fans and the local media), which was nipped in the bud by the host. His excuse was because it was a court case, that it couldn't be discussed - despite the admissions of the club being proven. Opens up a bigger question though in that do the local media (BBC/ITV, Journal and the Chon) back the club and the regime too much? It's my thinking that the media are there to represent the likes of us and not align themselves with the club in order to get a first break on new stories.

Any thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Sounds like nonsense - should only apply to open cases? With a jury?

Anyway, fair point, but there's always going to be some give and take in this situation. It's already been made quite clear that the current regime have no problem banning journalists, so local rags are hardly going to risk slating them (BBC should always be impartial too).

I missed that call but heard it later when someone emailed in to complain about them not discussing the court case and the host said that he'd not read anything from the case so it was best to err on the side of caution. I wondered why he was hosting a local football show if he's not prepared to do essential basic research on things people will want to discuss. Mackem prick.

I missed that call but heard it later when someone emailed in to complain about them not discussing the court case and the host said that he'd not read anything from the case so it was best to err on the side of caution. I wondered why he was hosting a local football show if he's not prepared to do essential basic research on things people will want to discuss. Mackem prick.

It just seemed like an excuse to me, on his part. Probably not wanting to upset those at NUFC, IMO.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It'd take something HUGE for Thompson House to say anything bad about the ownership of NUFC. From a business point of view they need to remain friendly with the club, so they can get interviews and news, otherwise they'd have very little to print. Besides, its not their job to be one way or another, they should be writing about what is happening with a neutral slant, which I think they do.

If you want something else buy a fanzine.

Guest neesy111

It'd take something HUGE for Thompson House to say anything had about the ownership of NUFC. From a business point of view they need to remain friendly with the club, so they can get interviews and news, otherwise they'd have very little to print. Besides, its not their job to be one way or another, they should be writing about what is happening with a neutral slant, which I think they do.

If you want something else buy a fanzine.

The same fanzines that are ruling a dictatorship of NUST.  They are all as bad as each other including NUFC.com.

Who can blame them? The whole point of the local media is for local coverage. You throw your weight around and piss off Ashley and suddenly we've got no Newcastle coverage in the Chronicle.

Guest neesy111

Who can blame them? The whole point of the local media is for local coverage. You throw your weight around and piss off Ashley and suddenly we've got no Newcastle coverage in the Chronicle.

It's the local media though that can instigate campaign's against a club though as well.  Thomson house has been for decade's a bunch of fucking fuckwits happy to snug along to the club

Guest Thump 1892

His excuse was because it was a court case, that it couldn't be discussed - despite the admissions of the club being proven.

It's also a case that has been long since closed... that's a bit of a dodgy decision.

That said, it's a totally different set of rules for radio so there may be some truth in it.

It's the local media though that can instigate campaign's against a club though as well.  Thomson house has been for decade's a bunch of fucking fuckwits happy to snug along to the club

The last time Thompson House got behind a fan campaign for change was the Magpie Group which was backed by a serious businessman called John Hall. Who is there to get behind now? Barry fucking Moat who ran with his tail between his legs when Barclays called his bluff?

The local media are a disgraceful set of cowards who attempt to look somewhat credible by taking aim at individuals who either refuse to communicate with them or are completely unable to defend themselves.

Just a shame Robert didn't snap Oliver's neck when he had a hold of it.

Guest neesy111

The local media are a disgraceful set of cowards who attempt to look somewhat credible by taking aim at individuals who either refuse to communicate with them or are completely unable to defend themselves.

:lol:

Not just the local media - just look at Sky's David Craig for utterly pathetic, obsequious, sycophantic brown nosing. the deadline day debacle was the worst i've ever seen from him.

the club seem to have an either/or policy and it seems to work for them - either you are uncritical and pro-regime, or you're barred from SJP or kept out of the loop.

contrary to what Obi says about it not being their job to be one way or the other - i'd disagree - it's absolutely the job of a journalist to always, by default, take a critical stance. the phenomenon of journalists being too cosy to those in positions of authority, whether that be football clubs or governments, is sickening.

Not just the local media - just look at Sky's David Craig for utterly pathetic, obsequious, sycophantic brown nosing. the deadline day debacle was the worst i've ever seen from him.

the club seem to have an either/or policy and it seems to work for them - either you are uncritical and pro-regime, or you're barred from SJP or kept out of the loop.

contrary to what Obi says about it not being their job to be one way or the other - i'd disagree - it's absolutely the job of a journalist to always, by default, take a critical stance. the phenomenon of journalists being too cosy to those in positions of authority, whether that be football clubs or governments, is sickening.

Yep - David Craig is the new Alan Oliver that's for sure.

:lol:

Neil Farrington used to give Ashley and co stick every week in the Sunday Sun, and was banned for ages because of it.