Toon Army: North America

Guest toonarmymia

Alright, so I'm a Geordie moving to Chicago next week (Hyde Park). Anyone who knows the place, is there somewhere to watch toon matches? Also, any Scottish pubs or owt where they'll be up all night for the referendum?

Huh?

Just kidding, but that's probably the response you'll get if you ask most people.

The Globe usually gets the most Newcastle fans, but SmallBar and AJ Hudson's are good too. Not sure on a Scottish bar, there's probably 100 Irish pubs around, but I'm sure if you look online you'll find some. FYI, all these things are on the northside, so it'll be a bit of a trek for you from Hyde Park.

• 1 month later...

Have a roommate that gets NBCSports but charges you a flat fee for rent/utilities.

Man I am on comcast and their coverage has been fucking AWFUL. The on-demand games lives often aren't available, and NONE of them are available archived on demand.

Then you go on the nbcsports website to watch an archived game and on the screen where you pick which game you want they show all the scores!!

It's a million :facepalm:'s all at once.

Tweet this chap:

I believe they meet up at a bar called Fado in Miami.

I had the opportunity to go but opted out, as when I contacted him, he wasn't exactly ott welcoming, like @ToonArmyPhilly would have been....

Guest zicomartin

Brighthouse Networks (cable TV) in the Tampa / Orlando areas of Florida have 6 channels of NBCsn dedicated to all the premier league games broadcast simultaneously that day.

The other cable networks provide just one game on TV at any given time and put the others on the internet. 

So, if you are looking to watch the games on Brighthouse Networks, look out for the featured game on channels 26 and 1152  (NBCsn) and channels 1851 to 1855 for the other 5 games.

Obviously, if the bar you are watching in has another cable provider, such as Verizon, you may have trouble getting anything but the NBCsn featured game.

Whats the best place to watch the match in Miami anyone?

Prefer to watch it with newcastle fans

Come to Orlando, Silm.

Humm  I have to get back for the NASCAR on the Sunday and have loads of tickets booked for some NBA, NFL etc.

Whats the most cost effective way of getting down there?

Whats the best place to watch the match in Miami anyone?

Prefer to watch it with newcastle fans

Come to Orlando, Silm.

Humm  I have to get back for the NASCAR on the Sunday and have loads of tickets booked for some NBA, NFL etc.

Whats the most cost effective way of getting down there?

Cheapest = drive. But its like 3.5 hours with no traffic and you'll obviously have to pay for gas. You could take a train, but its not effecient and will take 6-8 hours due to stops and such (the Direct/Express trains on FL east coast are something being planned/worked on). Or you could fly, which would be quickest/most expensive.

Guest zicomartin

If its the Tottenham game you are looking at, its the featured NBC game on TV, you are in luck.

Here are the Brighthouse gametimes and channel numbers.  Watch out for the (UK) clocks going back on the 26th.

Starts 9.30am

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 25 MATCHES AT 7:45 a.m. ET

On TV and through NBC Sports Live Extra

Manchester City @ West Ham UnitedNBC Sports Network, ch. 26 / 1152 (hd)

* Manchester City @ West Ham United (anunciado en español)mun2, ch. 158/929

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 25 MATCHES AT 10:00 a.m. ET

Arsenal @ SunderlandNBC Sports Network, ch. 26 / 1152 (hd)

* Arsenal @ Sunderland (anunciado en español)mun2, ch. 158/929

Hull City @ Liverpoolch. 1831

Stoke City @ Southamptonch. 1832

Crystal Palace @ West Bromwich Albionch. 1833

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 25 MATCHES AT 12:30 p.m. ET

Leicester City @ Swansea CityNBC, ch. 8 / 1008 (hd)

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 26 MATCHES AT 9:30 a.m. ET

Newcastle United @ Tottenham HotspurNBC Sports Network, ch. 26 / 1152 (hd)

Everton @ Burnleych. 1831

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 26 MATCHES AT 12:00 p.m. ET

Chelsea @ Manchester UnitedNBC, ch. 8 / 1008 (hd)

* Chelsea @ Manchester United (anunciado en español)Telemundo, ch. 97

MONDAY, OCTOBER 27 MATCHES AT 4:00 p.m. ET

Aston Villa @ QPRNBC Sports Network, ch. 26 / 1152 (hd)

* Aston Villa @ QPR (anunciado en español)mun2, ch. 158/929

RESET

I miss Orlando, lived there for 4 years around the turn of the millennium. My absolute favourite place I have ever lived, and I've been about a bit. It's our vacation spot of choice now, but we've been expanding our family and building a new home so not got down there in a few years. When I retire I plan to spend 6 months a year there and return to Canada for the summers. Are house prices still ridiculously cheap ?

I miss Orlando, lived there for 4 years around the turn of the millennium. My absolute favourite place I have ever lived, and I've been about a bit. It's our vacation spot of choice now, but we've been expanding our family and building a new home so not got down there in a few years. When I retire I plan to spend 6 months a year there and return to Canada for the summers. Are house prices still ridiculously cheap ?

Relatively speaking, no :lol: depends how much monies you got and what is "cheap" to you.

Relatively speaking, no :lol: depends how much monies you got and what is "cheap" to you.

Well going back to around 2000, my friend bought this single family home, I would say around 2,500 square foot, with garage and a pool for $150k in the Orlando area. I spoke to him a few years ago about it and because of the economy, it wasn't worth a whole lot more, maybe $200k. We are having a home built right now in Calgary, that is pretty similar in size, in a similar type of community but without the pool (because this is Canada :)) and it's costing us close to $700k and that's cheap for here for a house of that size.

So my plan when I retire was to downsize to an apartment here and buy an apartment in Orlando or a gulf coast location from the money we make selling our family home, in today's market an 2 bed apartment in Calgary would cost around $250k,so that would leave me with plenty of money in today's market to buy the Florida apartment, unless the prices have shot up. If so then I may need to look at some other cheaper warm place to spend the winters, I don't I will be able to cope with them when I'm 65 and older, I'm struggling right now in my mid 40's :)

• 5 months later...