Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

What was Carr's last successful signing btw? Sissoko? And even that's arguable :lol:

It's not arguable. We bought him to make a profit and we will.

We've just lost £100m partly due to him not being good enough in the Premier League.

What was Carr's last successful signing btw? Sissoko? And even that's arguable :lol:

Townsend, Lascelles and Bemba

We've just lost £100m partly due to him not being good enough in the Premier League.

We lost £100m due to Ashley's policy of hiring shit managers and the insistence on buying players under 25 to be sold for a profit rather than buying what we needed. Carr might be a crap scout, but it's the lack of direction from the top echelons which has got us relegated.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually think Carr is the very least of the problems we have. The 5-1 showed what 'his' players can do with the right motivation (i.e. management).

I think for a head scout he's actually done pretty well, all clubs have signings that flop and more often not we've done well, with obvious exceptions like Cabella (who we only signed because Kinnear undersold Cabaye) and Thauvin.

Guest palnese

Actually think Carr is the very least of the problems we have. The 5-1 showed what 'his' players can do with the right motivation (i.e. management).

I think for a head scout he's actually done pretty well, all clubs have signings that flop and more often not we've done well, with obvious exceptions like Cabella (who we only signed because Kinnear undersold Cabaye) and Thauvin.

Gouffran, Marveaux, Cabella, Thauvin, Mbiwa or whatever he was called, Riviere, Haidara, Amalfitano, De Jong x 2, etc.

Carr has done an absolutely shocking job in total.

Gouffran, Marveaux, Cabella, Thauvin, Mbiwa or whatever he was called, Riviere, Haidara, Amalfitano, De Jong x 2, etc.

Carr has done an absolutely shocking job in total.

But Hatem & Cabaye

Guest chopey

How many of Carr's duck eggs were his first picks tho ?. He was going crazy about Aubameyang a couple of years ago and telling us to sign him at all costs but we dilly dallied about and he ended up at Dortmund.

Guest chopey

As a kid, I picked two winners of the grand national with a pin. Lost in every other year.

I imagine pricking a horse with a pin would make it run faster.

I'll say it again: every time Carr's actual scouting ability has been put to the test, he's failed.

And no, buying Hatem and Cabaye isn't scouting, it's common sense given their price at the time.

I'll say it again: every time Carr's actual scouting ability has been put to the test, he's failed.

And no, buying Hatem and Cabaye isn't scouting, it's common sense given their price at the time.

Ayoze Perez?

Ayoze Perez?

No.

But it wasn't common though. No other club had the sense to buy those 2 players. Carr does deserve credit for their signings

The problem with the Carr debate is that those who defend him usually go overboard with it and those who don't rate him usually are not giving him enough credit for what he did do.

As usually the middle ground is the right answer, did he sign/recommend some absolutely awful or ill fitted players? yes. But did he sign/recommend players who Ashley failed to put up the cash for in some cases who were unquestionably good to great players? absolutely yes.

But it's whatever, that part of the club is done now. Rafa is here now i really couldn't care less about what happened, it's over now and we don't have to concern ourselves with it anymore.

Except Carr's job wasn't just to scout players. It was to identify targets, source deals and find bargains and in that he was moderately successful.

So moderately successful, in fact, that we've spent a decent amount of money in the past 3.5 years to be involved in 3 relegation battles in that time - one of which we couldn't survive.

Except Carr's job wasn't just to scout players. It was to identify targets, source deals and find bargains and in that he was moderately successful.

So moderately successful, in fact, that we've spent a decent amount of money in the past 3.5 years to be involved in 3 relegation battles in that time - one of which we couldn't survive.

Did the players get us in those relegation battles or the managers we have had? A bit of both, I suppose but 70/30 managers IMO.

I did say moderate btw. Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Debuchy were all decent deals.

The problem with the Carr debate is that those who defend him usually go overboard with it and those who don't rate him usually are not giving him enough credit for what he did do.

As usually the middle ground is the right answer, did he sign/recommend some absolutely awful or ill fitted players? yes. But did he sign/recommend players who Ashley failed to put up the cash for in some cases who were unquestionably good to great players? absolutely yes.

But it's whatever, that part of the club is done now. Rafa is here now i really couldn't care less about what happened, it's over now and we don't have to concern ourselves with it anymore.

Do you know this for certain? Not being arsey, genuinely curious, it has become one of those accepted assertions that crops up every now and again. Is there any evidence that a lot of GC's good ones got away? Were the lucky escapees relative unknowns who later blossomed? Or is it a case of I really wanted Pogba, but Cashley wouldn't stump up the dosh... Do the good escapees outnumber the horrific recommendations who we also didn't get?

• 6 months later...