The worst players in recent club history

Ishmael

worst - smith

most annoying - butt with his attempted 50 yard cross fielders and deft ronaldinho style dinks that always went out of play. and shola, for everything apart from the goals. literally everything he does that isnt a goal is annoying, even some of the goals take the piss, away at wigan for a start.

Any of Roeder's kids (Pattison, Ramage or Huntington) if you take "worst" to mean worst and not some bullshit effort/talent to fee/wages equation.

Yes, the likes of Owen, Luque, Smith and Boumsong were terrible signings but by no means the "worst players in the recent club history".

To even consider Løvenkrands as the worst is just hilarious!

People of that opinion don´t know anything about football!

We paid nothing for him...probably on small wages + he has scored about 15 goals or so for us!

Dont know how far back we are talking but it should be easy to name the first 10-20 players who have been worse!

We paid nothing for him...probably on small wages + he has scored about 15 goals or so for us!

Dont know how far back we are talking but it should be easy to name the first 10-20 players who have been worse!

In fairness, wages and fee are irrelevant. Truth be told, i've seldom seen an NUFC striker be as ineffective on a consistent basis as Lovenkrands this season. Nicky Butt is a far, far more preposterous suggestion.

In fairness, wages and fee are irrelevant. Truth be told, i've seldom seen an NUFC striker be as ineffective on a consistent basis as Lovenkrands this season. Nicky Butt is a far, far more preposterous suggestion.

In fairness, wages and fee are  relevant: Normally, there's a correlation between money paid and quality received. One has higher expectations of a player that nets a coll £60 000 a week and that was bought for £10 mill than a Loven who was free and earns next to nothing compared to many others..

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He still scored some vital goals for us last season, he was a good free signing to get us back up.

Hardly.

Lovenkrands has averaged about 1 in 3 since we signed him, a good return for someone who cost fuck all.  16 goals last season which were pretty important in us going back up.

For about 5 years Butt strolled about the pitch like he was Franz Beckenbauer, constantly trying 50 yard Beckham-esque passes that never, ever came off.  He couldn't even make a simple 5 yard pass without giving the ball away.  With him in the team our defence was constantly under pressure and at the same time never offered us anything going forward.  Was like playing with a massive hole in midfield.

Lovenkrands had a decent season in The Championship, no doubt. But that has nowt to do with my above post.

Butt played well in the PL in 06-07 and did well under Keegan in 07-08. In 08-09 he was completely crap.

Geremi was pretty shit.

I agree, but he did have this uncanny knack of playing terribly but getting at least one assist or killer ball that lead to a goal.

yeah. Remember he scored that unbelievably shit freekick against spurs. Wins over Smith just because of that goal.(and many others)

Surely it's got to be Ramage. Of people who've ever played regularly for us he has to be the worst, he made 51 appearances for us ffs. Regardless of transfer fees etc. (which are essentially irrelevant if we're talking actual worst players imo) I'd be amazed if there's anyone as bad as him who's made 50 appearances in my living memory.

Worth noting I still think he's a right legend though.

Surely it's got to be Ramage. Of people who've ever played regularly for us he has to be the worst, he made 51 appearances for us ffs. Regardless of transfer fees etc. (which are essentially irrelevant if we're talking actual worst players imo) I'd be amazed if there's anyone as bad as him who's made 50 appearances in my living memory.

Agreed. Performance wise, and taking into account the number of times we had to suffer from his shitness, he wins it. Stand out memory for me is when he was outmuscled by Harewood for a goal and had the worst 15 minutes any centrehalf has ever had before sustaining an (fake?) injury to come off. Huntington and Edgar shored things up and we got back to 2-2.

For older fans - Rob Mcdonald, Billy Askew, Pat Heard, Gary Megson to name a few.

I saw that lot and utter s**** like Ray Clarke and Billy Rafferty, and Smith is worse than all of them IMHO.

Rob Mcdonald was way worse than Smith. I'm too young to remember Clarke and Rafferty (just before I started going to games)

Lovenkrands had a decent season in The Championship, no doubt. But that has nowt to do with my above post.

Butt played well in the PL in 06-07 and did well under Keegan in 07-08. In 08-09 he was completely crap.

my post was a comment on people on here who consider løvenkrands as the worst!

if i have to name the worst player i believe that wages, transfer fee and what role the player is considered to play as important factors for the judgement!

Im not trying to defend Løvenkrands....i spoke bad of him when we signed him....but must amid he did a good job last year in the Championship!

Smith, Luque maybe Xisco, Boumsong etc were all quiet expensive players on "high wages" who didn´t do the job they were paid to do!

Even last year in the Championship Smith was a liability.....he has to be the worst ever (at least i can´t think of others right now)! At least we knew that Luque could play good football....something just went horrible wrong....smith have had every opportunity to deliver and have failed everytime!

Name me a match were Smith were among the best on the pitch, can´t think of any ???

used to play against him regularly when i was a lad, wasnt particularly good then either.

if i have to name the worst player i believe that wages, transfer fee and what role the player is considered to play as important factors for the judgement!

No way! Worst player is least talented - if you factor in fees or wages or reputation then you're not talking about worst player but worst signing...

No way! Worst player is least talented - if you factor in fees or wages or reputation then you're not talking about worst player but worst signing...

it still cant be løvenkrands....