Finances 09/10 - 'Our vision for the club is to finish 10th or above every year'

quayside

Guest Wally_McFool

At the time I thought it was the wrong appointment and that Mike Ashley was simply pandering to the wishes of the NUFC fans who went crazy over the appointment, despite the fact that KK had failed at England and Man City and hadn't worked in football for over 3 years.  But using that argument of backing KK, I take it you would have been just as happy to see Ashley backing JFK in the transfer market with big money?

Pandering to the wishes of NUFC fans my arse! Ashley thought that he had bagged 'arry as his new boss.

Keegans appointment came totally out of the blue.

Mike Ashley was simply pandering to the wishes of the NUFC fans who went crazy over the appointment,

Pandering to the wishes of NUFC fans my arse! Ashley thought that he had bagged 'arry as his new boss.

And it was an appointment which was purely driven by emotion. It was a terrible decision to make in the first place.

Mike Ashley was simply pandering to the wishes of the NUFC fans who went crazy over the appointment,

And it was an appointment which was purely driven by emotion. It was a terrible decision to make in the first place.

KK hardly fits the YES men club like CH,JFK & Pards.

Guest Wally_McFool

That is debatable, something I happen to disagree with and belongs on another thread, however people saying that Newcastle fans were clamouring for KK's return are talking through their ringpiece.

That is debatable, something I happen to disagree with and belongs on another thread, however people saying that Newcastle fans were clamouring for KK's return are talking through their ringpiece.

I think the point is more that Mike Ashley thought it would be popular with the fans. Not that we were actively asking for it.

Our relegation had fuck all to do with Ashley putting his hand in his pocket or not, it was about his abysmal man management skills and desire to put his friends before his business interest.  

That's what got us relegated and cost us a fuck load of money.  And people talk about the finances as if they're Ashley's strong point.

One of the top ten stories on BBC now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12901992

Newcastle United Football Club sank £17.1m into the red as a result of relegation from the Barclays Premier League in 2009, figures show.

The loss, for the end of the 2008-09 season, compared with a £15.2m deficit in the season before that.

Turnover reduced 39% to £52.4m, according to accounts filed with Companies House.

That's fair enough, but I live by the rule "never go back" - a rule which Liverpool will soon become very aware of.

I don't think there were many clamouring for his return like. But I think Ashley did it because of the fans.

Guest Brazilianbob

It quite laughable that the Ashley haters are so focussed on laying the ills of our club at his feet.  Yet not one of them can come up with a blueprint for success that does not involve spending money we dont have, and which then relies upon the club getting into Europe and staying there in order to service that debt.

Laudable aims true, but quite quite unfeasible in the long run when the club is burdened with debt.

Following the Ashley blueprint, means that if and when we do get into europe the money that comes in will be pure profit which WILL be reinvested in players, which will then take the club up to the next level both domestically and in terms of europe.

If for some reason we fail to qualify for europe one season it will mean the top players will not have to be sold to service the debt, which is a scenario we see all too often these days.

Take Liverpool for example, if they fail to qualify for europe this season and fail again next season, what are the odds that the likes of Carroll and Suarez are sold to cover their debts, or to enable them to bring in several players that they hope will get them back into europe.

And if we can't get into Europe because of these silly clubs who are spending money in spite of being in debt getting those places, then they use the European money to keep their players, what then?

Sorry like, but the suggestion Ashley has any kind of "blueprint" and actually plans more than 24 hours into the future makes me laugh, you have a lot more faith in him than I do.  Does give me images of him as a hapless Wile E Coyote character though.

where's quayside for the indepth analysis?

I'm waiting for that as well!

I've only got what's on the official site as the full accounts still aren't available.

It all just seems pretty much what was expected from our season in the Championship tbh. Income well down, wages well down, made a profit on transfers, but overall the club made another loss which Ashley has funded by sticking more money in. There was no other result possible really. The only piece of the jigsaw that is now known is what the wage bill dropped to post Owen, Viduka, Martins etc.

It has always looked likely that something approaching breakeven was possible when Premiership revenues kick in on top of our reduced cost base.

There have been a few mentions of Spurs on here. If Ashley has a vision to move the club forward (and I fully expect derision from some at that suggestion) it is to emulate what Spurs have done. The Spurs accounts are freely available on their website. They have no vast debt owed to their owner and no great chunks of money spent that they don't have, their total debt only stands at £90m and a fair amount of that has gone on property development not on the football side of things. They get value for money when they buy players in the market and (importantly) they also sell well. They pay wages they can afford. And they do not lose money.

The key difference is that their annual income is £120 million compared to our (Premiership) income of about £90m. Ashley may have addressed the costs but if he wants to be able to build a successful squad he has to address the income.

where's quayside for the indepth analysis?

I'm waiting for that as well!

It all just seems pretty much what was expected from our season in the Championship tbh. Income well down, wages well down, made a profit on transfers, but overall the club made another loss which Ashley has funded by sticking more money in. There was no other result possible really. The only piece of the jigsaw that is now known is what the wage bill dropped to post Owen, Viduka, Martins etc.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/7415/boratgreatsuccess450x33.jpg

You don't automatically win the title by having 100 millions in debt. If they are spent correctly, the outcome could be so yes. But why jepordise that right now? Why not build a squad, a good foundation within the means. And if the oportunity arises, a few stars gets through the doors, and there we are. Up there alonside tottenham challenging for the 4 spots of glory?

You don't automatically win the title by having 100 millions in debt. If they are spent correctly, the outcome could be so yes. But why jepordise that right now? Why not build a squad, a good foundation within the means. And if the oportunity arises, a few stars gets through the doors, and there we are. Up there alonside tottenham challenging for the 4 spots of glory?

or we could just carry on cashing in on anything that will sell.

The club is also likely to launch its own television channel along the same lines as Liverpool TV, which will be part of the Freeview and Sky package and paid for through advertising

Guest Brazilianbob

Simple question Bob, and this is in no way reflective of our situation - break even and finish 10th or £100m debt and win the title?

Thats easy.  The title win every time, but what happens after the title win?  Does the bank foreclose halfway through the following season because we have been knocked out of europe and are sitting mid table and we can't sell players in January because no one can afford to pay their huge wages.

Remember Portsmouth? An FA Cup win then they very nearly went out of existance because of the level of debt and high wages owing to players and transfer fees owed to other clubs.

Of course we could go all the way in europe and win the Champions league, but come on this is Newcastle we are talking about!  Things like that just don't happen!

I really have very little understanding of economics. Could anyone summarise for me, in a nutshell and in English, what today's publishings tell us?

Edit: Actually, i'll just read the thread. :razz: