Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Still people saying he couldn't hack it in "Da best league in the world-aaaaa". :lol:

He wont go there but I'd be interested to see how he coped for ten months in either Italy or even here at Stoke on a cold February night week after week

Not dissing his abilities but you have to honestly admit he's in a league that best shows his gifts and allows him to do as he wants

A quote from someone on redcafe after the match.

Doesn't matter if you're man of the match in the Champions League final, if you haven't scored at the Britannia you've still not proved anything.

Still people saying he couldn't hack it in "Da best league in the world-aaaaa". :lol:

He wont go there but I'd be interested to see how he coped for ten months in either Italy or even here at Stoke on a cold February night week after week

Not dissing his abilities but you have to honestly admit he's in a league that best shows his gifts and allows him to do as he wants

A quote from someone on redcafe after the match.

Doesn't matter if you're man of the match in the Champions League final, if you haven't scored at the Britannia you've still not proved anything.

Because that's what he's saying :lol:

was having a think about this tonight, gonna see if i can get odds on argentina to win the next wc in brazil now

messi has basically now morphed into a game changing/dominating number 10 and unless argentina seriously fuck up (again) i think he'll lead them to it

Ronaldo scored the same amount of goals as Messi this season in a game less and and hit 42 in 48 in his best season in England.

Messi should come to England, score 50 goals and then leave and there will literally be no-one, not even Red Cafe idiots that can doubt him.

Personally I don't think you can say there's no comparison between the two, Ronaldo's absolutely lethal, Messi just has that little bit extra. I don't think Ronaldo could have done to us what Messi did in that final. That was unreal.

I think before the league was decided Messi was on 49 and Ronaldo on 42.  Obviously you can't take any from Ronaldo's achievement (even though I think I am) but I think Messi eased off towards the end as did the rest of his team whereas Mourinho played full strength teams till the final day.

Yeah Ronaldo scored 4 or something near the end against Almeria when the league was over and I think Almeria were relegated, but still. 40 goals in the league is phenomenal as well. Two outstanding players and could well be #1 and #2 in the best ever.

was having a think about this tonight, gonna see if i can get odds on argentina to win the next wc in brazil now

messi has basically now morphed into a game changing/dominating number 10 and unless argentina seriously fuck up (again) i think he'll lead them to it

The list of strikers that Argentina have at their disposal is frightening. They should be looking to have a real go at the World Cup in 2014. Messi will be in his prime (if he isn't already).

Guest Howaythetoon

He's absolutely great but still I just don't think pound for pound he's the best ever nor ever will be.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ronaldo is actually underrated as a footballer. Obviously he gets a lot of praise and plaudits but he's an extremely brilliant footballer and indeed. Considering he's not even a forward but a converted winger his goalscoring record is outstanding as is his finishing abilities. He's behind Messi but not by far in my opinion.

Ronaldo is actually underrated as a footballer. Obviously he gets a lot of praise and plaudits but he's an extremely brilliant footballer and indeed. Considering he's not even a forward but a converted winger his goalscoring record is outstanding as is his finishing abilities. He's behind Messi but not by far in my opinion.

:thup:

That's what I meant to say. Couldn't word it properly :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Ronaldo has a finesse to Messi's outrageousness. There are no better at running with the ball in a straight line than Ronaldo which is an extremely difficult task. Only the Brazilian Ronaldo was better at running with the ball in a straight line. Messi is clearly the better dribbler but he lacks the athleticism to get on the ball and just run directly with it at high speed under such control. We are quite lucky as genuine footy fans to have these two greats playing in an era when we can all appreciate them at their best mind. They are so unorthodox as players. I mean Ronaldo is a winger but is a better finisher than any striker on the planet. Messi should be a winger but he's a playmaker, a striker, a deep lying anchor. He's just fucking amazing all over the pitch in every possible way be it on the flank, centrally, up top, the lot. Ronaldo isn't quite in that same league hence why Messi is better. But again, not by much.

In terms of shots per goal Ronaldo's finishing isn't that great, obviously more factors are involved here but I still think there's a few who are better technically than him.  I wouldn't say his technique is that underrated.

Soldado 1 goal every 4.44 shots

Benzema 1 every 4.66

Messi 1 every 4.83

Negredo 1 every 5.5

Ronaldo 1 every 6.25

Aguero 1 every 6.25

Llorente 1 every 6.77

Villa 1 every 7.38

Rossi 1 every 7.66

I'd say that Ronaldo is a more complete goal scorer than Messi, in that he's much better in the air and also better from long range aswell as being absolutely clinical in and around the box.

He's just an out an out direct athlete and he's incredible at what he does, buth is overall gameplay is quite a bit off Messi's.  His vision, passing, dribbling, link up play and general work rate for his team is just not on the same level.

I'd say that Ronaldo is a more complete goal scorer than Messi, in that he's much better in the air and also better from long range aswell as being absolutely clinical in and around the box.

He's just an out an out direct athlete and he's incredible at what he does, buth is overall gameplay is quite a bit off Messi's.  His vision, passing, dribbling, link up play and general work rate for his team is just not on the same level.

:thup:

In terms of shots per goal Ronaldo's finishing isn't that great, obviously more factors are involved here but I still think there's a few who are better technically than him.  I wouldn't say his technique is that underrated.

Soldado 1 goal every 4.44 shots

Benzema 1 every 4.66

Messi 1 every 4.83

Negredo 1 every 5.5

Ronaldo 1 every 6.25

Aguero 1 every 6.25

Llorente 1 every 6.77

Villa 1 every 7.38

Rossi 1 every 7.66

He has a crack whenever he can, never a thought of playing a team mate in.

Ronaldo has a finesse to Messi's outrageousness. There are no better at running with the ball in a straight line than Ronaldo which is an extremely difficult task. Only the Brazilian Ronaldo was better at running with the ball in a straight line. Messi is clearly the better dribbler but he lacks the athleticism to get on the ball and just run directly with it at high speed under such control. We are quite lucky as genuine footy fans to have these two greats playing in an era when we can all appreciate them at their best mind. They are so unorthodox as players. I mean Ronaldo is a winger but is a better finisher than any striker on the planet. Messi should be a winger but he's a playmaker, a striker, a deep lying anchor. He's just fucking amazing all over the pitch in every possible way be it on the flank, centrally, up top, the lot. Ronaldo isn't quite in that same league hence why Messi is better. But again, not by much.

Disagree. A different aesthetic style to Ronaldo but Messi is very direct.