Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

was having a think about this tonight, gonna see if i can get odds on argentina to win the next wc in brazil now

messi has basically now morphed into a game changing/dominating number 10 and unless argentina seriously fuck up (again) i think he'll lead them to it

The list of strikers that Argentina have at their disposal is frightening. They should be looking to have a real go at the World Cup in 2014. Messi will be in his prime (if he isn't already).

Indeed but they're so top loaded its untrue. Their defence and keeper are accidents waiting to happen for the most part.

was having a think about this tonight, gonna see if i can get odds on argentina to win the next wc in brazil now

messi has basically now morphed into a game changing/dominating number 10 and unless argentina seriously fuck up (again) i think he'll lead them to it

The list of strikers that Argentina have at their disposal is frightening. They should be looking to have a real go at the World Cup in 2014. Messi will be in his prime (if he isn't already).

Indeed but they're so top loaded its untrue. Their defence and keeper are accidents waiting to happen for the most part.

Not now Colo's going to get a look in again. :thup:

Not now Colo's going to get a look in again. :thup:

Is he? Must be planning a stealth move since he wasn't named in the Copa squad or played in that 'B' team tonight.

Btw - Ferguson deserves some credit for the way he developed Ronaldo's career.

but not likewise for rooney, imo.

Even when rooney was banging them in couple of seasons ago, it was down to him playing more centraly..... and that was Capello's idea not SAF's! :lol:

He has had the excitement and dynamism coached out of him to a large degree. There's a cracking article somewhere about how while he's developed into a very good player at Man Utd, he's lost that spark of excitement he had when he was at us. You no longer think "shit, Rooney's got the ball, what's going to happen?" nowadays IMO.

Btw - Ferguson deserves some credit for the way he developed Ronaldo's career.

but not likewise for rooney, imo.

Even when rooney was banging them in couple of seasons ago, it was down to him playing more centraly..... and that was Capello's idea not SAF's! :lol:

Something that I have been saying for quite some time. He's lost that spark, that edge to his game that he used to have. He never goes on mazy runs anymore attacking the opposition, playing lovely through balls, playing just off the centre forward. His game used to be all about pace, movement, unpredictability. He might be a better team player now but he's not the player saw as an 18 year old that's for certain. Give me the Rooney of Euro 2004 over this one any day of the week.

:thup:

Been saying for a while that Rooney's lost the spark.

Don't get me wrong he's still a very good player, but 5/6 years ago he was incredible.

A move to Barcelona would be perfect for Rooney.  :shifty:

He would get that freedom back aswell as having more time and space on the ball.  He'd be explosive.

Don't think he's a Barca player. Though I said that about David Villa a year ago and he's done fairly well.

to me they just need to find the right combo of players to play with messi - play a variation of the barca system with him as the "striker" as he now plays for barca

argentina will always have decent enough (if not great) midfielders and defenders they just have to have a clear idea of how they're going to play and build up to it between now and then and i honestly think messi will have enough to carry them to it

A move to Barcelona would be perfect for Rooney.  :shifty:

He would get that freedom back aswell as having more time and space on the ball.  He'd be explosive.

Don't think he's a Barca player. Though I said that about David Villa a year ago and he's done fairly well.

Whereas I can see Giuseppe Rossi fitting in like an absolute glove. Can see exactly why they're after him.

Guest firetotheworks

To quote someone on youtube. Ronaldo is the best player in the world, because Messi is on another planet.

not highly amonst Rosario Central fans

Report: Barcelona's Lionel Messi assaulted by Rosario Central fan

Newell's fan Messi was punched in the face on the streets of Rosario by a supporter of rival Central, as he enjoys the post-season break in his native Argentina.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/spain/2011/06/02/2515232/report-barcelonas-lionel-messi-assaulted-by-rosario-central

• 3 weeks later...