Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Good article that Tooj. Every kid with an interest in football will know the name of Pele. In 50 years time kids will still know the name of Pele. Messi is undoubtedly a great footballer, the best of his generation and without doubt one of the best of all-time. But Pele is a God of the game and always will be.

Exactly, there can be talks about Maradona, Garrincha, Cruyff, Messi, Ronaldo, CRonaldo, Zidane, Platini, Beckenbauer, Zico, Romario, Baggio but no one will ever be as big as Pele, he's the step above all of them. I have no doubts Messi has the talent to one day be up there, but so did Ronaldo and Zidane and they never really reached that magical level.

People talk about how Messi plays in a modern game where its so much harder because of the level and speed of the game. But people tend to forget that Pele played under an era where he was brutally kicked every 2 minutes. He had no protection, nowadays the referee protects players from being physically murdered back then they didn't. Pele had to leave a World Cup (his only without winning it) because he was so brutally taken care off by defenders and the referees didn't care. I can only imagine how that World Cup would've looked like had he not been injured by the Bulgarian and Portuguese defenders. For you who haven't watched those games, you should look, even Parana (right back during that World Cup) has personally told me and relatives about how it was even worse than what you saw on TV. Maybe Pele would've won 4 World Cups and been even bigger than what he is had he been protected by referees.

Messi is without a doubt the best right now, but to start comparing him with the greats is still silly. People say 'why does he have to win with the national team' and so on, well the answer is really easy, he has to prove that he can win outside his comfort zone at Barcelona.

Exactly! I don't get why it is so difficult to understand why people want to see Messi perform outside of Barcelona without getting back tiring excuses oh "he plays in a different position", "his team mates are not good enough", "Maradona is a lousy manager" etc

It doesn't help Messi's case that he is playing in a Barcelona team many consider the best in the last 10-20 years. A true legend will shine despite difficult circumstances. Messi has done wonders at Barcelona, but every time he leaves his pampered comfort zone, his level drops a few notches....let's see what happens in this Copa. Even C. Ronaldo has proven that he can excel in more than just one team and in different countries with different style of play. Messi is Barcelona's star player (one of) and at the moment that's all he is, would put him fourth in all time ranking just behind Zidane

alpapl, you're fucked in the head mate, fucked

Bingo.

Exactly, there can be talks about Maradona, Garrincha, Cruyff, Messi, Ronaldo, CRonaldo, Zidane, Platini, Beckenbauer, Zico, Romario, Baggio

Spot the odd one out.

Of that lot I obviously don't believe CRonaldo to be a part of that level, but many in here do so I put him in there.

Yet he has proven himself to be able to excel in more than one team, something Messi is unable/unwilling to do.

Why would Messi leave Barcelona though?  :lol:

It's funny how every time Messi gets better and proves the doubters wrong, they just invent another far-fetched reasoning to have a go.

"Oh, Messi is good but he doesn't score in big games" So he scores proceeds to obliterate Real Madrid in just about every game from then on.

"Oh, Messi can't score against English teams and he's propa shit in the air" So he scores in a Champions League final, against an English side, with his head.

"Oh, Messi has only scored ONCE against English sides" So he scores 4 against Arsenal in one game.

"Oh, Messi has never scored on English SOIL." So he scores at Wembley, against the Champions of England - in a Champions League final for the second time.

"Oh well, Messi should move to and play somewhere else! He's only proven himself for one team"

It's bloody tedious tbh. The kid is 24 and has done more on a football pitch than anybody bar a select few. Anybody who genuinely enjoys football who watches him play and instead of enjoying his genius just thinks up ways to disprove it needs to find a new sport. As does anybody that genuinely thinks Cristiano Ronaldo is the better footballer.

Without wanting to delve too much into the debate, what is it that Messi has achieved outright that CRonaldo hasn't? Why is it that Messi is being consider as one of the worlds greatest but Ronaldo doesn't really get much of mention?

Is it something to do with aesthetics?

Without wanting to delve too much into the debate, what is it that Messi has achieved outright that CRonaldo hasn't? Why is it that Messi is being consider as one of the worlds greatest but Ronaldo doesn't really get much of mention?

Is it something to do with aesthetics?

Because Messi is a superior player who is able to impact games in a way Ronaldo can not. The latter is, of course, a sublime player in his own right and those 2 are by far the best 2 in the world but Messi is the outright best because he's quite simply better.

• 2 months later...
Robbie Fowler: 'Rooney is the best player out there'

Robbie Fowler recognises divine inspiration when he sees it.

And for the striker who Liverpool supporters called ‘God’, one man stands alone when he assesses who is currently the No 1 footballer in the world.

“Wayne Rooney is the best player out there at this moment in time,” said Fowler,widely recognised as the most natural finisher of his generation, scoring 230 goals in a domestic career that included two spells with Liverpool either side of moves to Leeds, Manchester City, Cardiff and Blackburn.

The 26 England caps he won were scant reward for his talent.

He went on: “I know Lionel Messi has been untouchable over the last two or three years, but on current form I don’t think there is anyone out there who is such a complete player as Rooney.

“Wayne has redefined the role of a centre-forward. Not only is he scoring goals at a phenomenal rate, he is also dropping deep to dictate games from start to finish.

“Messi isn’t that kind of player. He drifts in and out of matches. He wins matches with bursts of individual brilliance.

“Rooney is always in the game. Everything that Manchester United do goes through him. United have had players in the past who you think to yourself ‘how are they ever going to replace him?’

“I’m talking about players like Eric Cantona, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Cristiano Ronaldo. But looking at what Rooney now does for their team, I’d say he is absolutely irreplaceable.

“I think Sir Alex Ferguson knows that as well. That’s why he worked so hard to keep him at Old Trafford last year when it looked as though Wayne was going to leave.

“I know it’s a strange thing to say, given the number of goals that Wayne has already scored for United and England this season, but I wouldn’t say he is the most natural finisher.

“He has worked hard to improve that part of his game and has got better at it, but it’s his all-round game that puts him in a class of his own at the moment.”

Fowler, 36, is still giving defenders in Thailand nightmares with Muanthong Utd.

Dear me.

Guest guinness_fiend

Bingo.

Exactly, there can be talks about Maradona, Garrincha, Cruyff, Messi, Ronaldo, CRonaldo, Zidane, Platini, Beckenbauer, Zico, Romario, Baggio

Spot the odd one out.

Of that lot I obviously don't believe CRonaldo to be a part of that level, but many in here do so I put him in there.

Yet he has proven himself to be able to excel in more than one team, something Messi is unable/unwilling to do.

Why would Messi leave Barcelona though?  :lol:

It's funny how every time Messi gets better and proves the doubters wrong, they just invent another far-fetched reasoning to have a go.

"Oh, Messi is good but he doesn't score in big games" So he scores proceeds to obliterate Real Madrid in just about every game from then on.

"Oh, Messi can't score against English teams and he's propa s*** in the air" So he scores in a Champions League final, against an English side, with his head.

"Oh, Messi has only scored ONCE against English sides" So he scores 4 against Arsenal in one game.

"Oh, Messi has never scored on English SOIL." So he scores at Wembley, against the Champions of England - in a Champions League final for the second time.

"Oh well, Messi should move to and play somewhere else! He's only proven himself for one team"

It's bloody tedious tbh. The kid is 24 and has done more on a football pitch than anybody bar a select few. Anybody who genuinely enjoys football who watches him play and instead of enjoying his genius just thinks up ways to disprove it needs to find a new sport. As does anybody that genuinely thinks Cristiano Ronaldo is the better footballer.

This.

Guest sydneycove

Aye, until Messi wins the World Cup with England, nutmegging Maradona in the process, people won't think he's #1.

Dinking past Cannavaro and chipping and regathering Thurman before sending Lev Yashin the wrong way with an awesome shot.

Bingo.

Spot the odd one out.

Why would Messi leave Barcelona though?  :lol:

"Oh, Messi can't score against English teams and he's propa s*** in the air" So he scores in a Champions League final, against an English side, with his head.

This.

I'll caveat my post by saying I do think Messi is the best in the world right now.

However (here it comes :lol:) that was a little bit of a straw man argument you just destroyed there Sewelly. The top four were silly suggestions. The point about being quite as successful without Xavi and Iniesta are valid. He'd still be devastating I have no doubt, but could he dictate play? Well, the only evidence we have is in the Argentina side.

Obviously he's under no obligation to leave Barcelona - why would he, but to suggest he has nothing left to prove doesn't seem right to me. I'd like to see him gain the same plaudits on the international stage as he has at club level. If he is the best player ever (as some have suggested) this shouldn't be beyond him, and isn't an unrealistic expectation to hold of him. Besides which, it's not like he'll be doing a George Best - he'll be with Aguero, Mascherano, Higuain, Colo, Gutierrez (;)) and many other class players.

Can't believe people still aren't accepting Messi as the best in the world :lol:

I know the question in this thread is much more apt- football's greatest where does lionel messi rank? Which is basically is he the best of all time ? Rooney will not get near Messi's goal tally this season probably wont compete on assists and i think Messi is better in general play.

Heard a few comments from the British media that Rooney is currently the best in the world, absolute trash.

The whole 'Messi needs to prove himself at another club' argument is also absolute bollocks. Best player in the world bar none, enjoy him while he's in the game.

Heard a few comments from the British media that Rooney is currently the best in the world, absolute trash.

The whole 'Messi needs to prove himself at another club' argument is also absolute bollocks. Best player in the world bar none, enjoy him while he's in the game.

same goes for Rooney if it's the case for Messi anyway.  Only Ronaldo has done it at 2 clubs so far, not that it fucking matters.

Why must we rank? Messi is an astonishing player who with regularity gives amazing performances and football is brighter for it. I'd argue he better than any player currently playing in this country, Rooney is on fire at the moment, but arguably hasn't performed outside his comfort zone moreso than Messi whom seems to struggle scoring but seems to play more as a playmaker for Argentina and has given very good assists passing etc, whereas Rooney was hopeless at the world cup. The accusation he drifts in and out of games seems pretty bonkers, very hardworking player, Rooney however seemed to drift out of almost a whole season last year....

Anyway, the fact is the English game hasn't produced enough amazing talent recently, whereas Spain is bursting with mature great players (I include Messi there because he developed there and came through Barca's academy), Germany seems bursting with exciting young talent. We have a bunch of spent, not even that great in the first place, talent and Rooney. Sammy Ameobi for england :p

• 2 weeks later...

Scored 2 goals tonight to become Barcelona's second highest all time scorer.  194 goals and counting.

If he scores another 42 goals this season he will become Barcelona's all time highest scorer.. at the age of 24.  Staggering.

and yet he's 20th in the all time spanish league top scorers (wiki)  :kasper:

Guest Dontooner

Most efficient player now i reckon for their own respective teams, still got to prove that he could win a world cup...like Zidane did, fat Ronaldo did ,Pele Did etc...

A great player is also measured by his leadership skills and influence on other players..That probably why we loved shearer as a player.

Guest sydneycove

Has anybody stopped to consider the Argentina thing may not be Messi's fault. He had to put up with Maradonna at the last WC if they had of won with that bat shit crazy drugged up psychopath at the helm it would have been the greatest team performance of all time.

Has anybody stopped to consider the Argentina thing may not be Messi's fault. He had to put up with Maradonna at the last WC if they had of won with that bat shit crazy drugged up psychopath at the helm it would have been the greatest team performance of all time.

some of us have, plenty don't want to hear it though...cronaldo in the same boat, is he expected to carry portugal to a WC before he can be considered "great"

Messi's always been underwhelming for Argentina relative to his barca form. Not just at the world cup, they limped out of the copa too without him scoring a single goal. his international record looks like it belongs to a lesser player tbh.

btw dont think anyone is saying he isnt a great, but people talk about him as if he were the best player in the history of the sport, so by default any discussion of his merits or weaknesses is going to be critical to the nth degree, that's the nature of the debate. if you cannot perform outside your comfort zone in a weaker team to the same standard that you do at your club...you may be a great, but you're not the best ever.

saying that i fully expect him to get better and dominate at international level as he does at club level currently, he's only 24 after all.