Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

I laughed, but then read the rest of the sentence and I get the point. Everton Rooney was more exciting and definitely had more potential than what he's become imo. He's still an excellent player, but he lost what made him so special and unique quite early on in his Man United career.

Despite his impressive scoring record for England,  unlike Lineker, Charlton or even Shearer, when it's really mattered he rarely produces. Very good and clever player no doubt but not a great.

I think Gazza chow asked

Sorry HTT but this tickled me. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Despite his impressive scoring record for England,  unlike Lineker, Charlton or even Shearer, when it's really mattered he rarely produces. Very good and clever player no doubt but not a great.

I think Gazza chow asked

Sorry HTT but this tickled me. :lol:

Peeking aye pud for ta!

Guest Howaythetoon

"Rooney would have been better off joining us."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Initially. He would have learned from Shearer and would have been allowed to be the Wayne Rooney at Everton player, free and the main man. At Man Utd, especially the early years, he was programmed into being a team player, often played wide. The Everton Rooney you let him play anywhere and everywhere whatever, regardless.

He should never of joined Man Utd when he did, he would have had a more fulfilling personal and individual career at Everton or with us for a few years first and really, he should of left them a good few years ago.

Sure he's won trophies etc. but his own game has never been allowed to truly materialise at Man Utd because he has been shoehorned into team roles that yes he has done well at, but it's been to the true benefit of the team and others rather than himself. For a number of years Fergie had him in wide roles or as some kind of cross between Scholes and later Giggs. It was hilarious  a few years later when he was asked to play as the central striker for a bit, the number 9 if you like, he struggled massively. It was only when Ronaldo started to excel so to did Rooney, as he was free to try and do his thing, the emphasis on Ronaldo as the lead man, the pivot of Man Utd which ironically came back to Rooney naturally.

• 1 month later...

Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo

or

Neymar, Suarez and Messi

Every time.

:thup:

The 3 Brazilians proved consistently they could play at a high level together but the Barca trio haven't yet.

Hell the best Barca attacking trio in my life time still is Henry, Eto'o and Messi.

:thup:

Imagine if Ronaldinho had maintain focus and been close to his prime with Messi at his prime. Would've been some shit.

Ronaldo-Ronaldinho-Rivaldo only played together in international football, which is vastly inferior nowadays to, say, the CL.

Not to say Neymar-Suárez-Messi are in considerantion, it's just been a few months and they have hardly clicked yet. I'd rate them below Henry-Eto'o-Messi or Villa-Messi-Pedro.

Ronaldo-Ronaldinho-Rivaldo only played together in international football, which is vastly inferior nowadays to, say, the CL.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/14kwrhk.gif

Downplaying that undefeated World Cup team?

They were all three immense players, among the best of the past 25 years; but they didn't complement their strengths. A strike force is about balance, too (also the reason why I believe the two other Barça tridents I mentioned are better than the current one). I believe they would have been shown up in a truly competitive environment.

Guest firetotheworks

Not to say Neymar-Suárez-Messi are in considerantion, it's just been a few months and they have hardly clicked yet. I'd rate them below Henry-Eto'o-Messi or Villa-Messi-Pedro.

I was gonna say something along the same lines. Ronaldinho Ronaldo Rivaldo wasn't even really a thing imo.

Messi Eto'o Henry was better than all of them like.

As a striking force yes because they played far more together than the other three. But I mean not on international level not even Messi, Aguero and Di Maria can do what the three R's. Only Muller - Klose - Özil can. ;)

When Brazil beat us in the World Cup with the 3 Rs against us, and that Ronaldinho free kick from 45 yards on the touchline that went in.. those were the days.

Sven Göran Eriksson lost you that game. His face when we went 2-1 up and he had no idea what to do. Even when Ronaldinho was sent off we kept dominating possession while he sat there clueless wondering why his Plan A didn't work. Despised him still do.

Guest TruToon94

I have to say Neur is the greatest player of this generation. The man has revolutionized Goalkeeping completely, as in the position is now to be played differently a la a CB and GK combined. I might also add that he's won both the WC and Champions League which Messi and Ronaldo can't claim.

I think Messi and Ronaldo are amazing and definitely great, but not revolutionary as they haven't completely changed the way a position will be coached in the future.