Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

I have to say Neur is the greatest player of this generation. The man has revolutionized Goalkeeping completely, as in the position is now to be played differently a la a CB and GK combined. I might also add that he's won both the WC and Champions League which Messi and Ronaldo can't claim.

I think Messi and Ronaldo are amazing and definitely great, but not revolutionary as they haven't completely changed the way a position will be coached in the future.

Not as good or as mental BUT Valdes has been playing as ball playing GK for a lot longer than Neuer so I don't think he revolutionised anything, although I did want him to win the award

2nd to Ronaldo again.

Speaks volumes that no1 cba to reply to this, no1 cares about that c*nt Ronaldo lol.

Even though I do think he's the best player in the world at this moment in time.

Guest firetotheworks

The thing with Ronaldo winning it for me is always more that Messi hasn't been at his best rather than anything else. If both were clearly at the top of their game I'd be astounded if Ronaldo won it.

Don't think anybody can really argue that Ronaldo had a better year than Messi.

Ronaldo hasn't been THAT much better than Messi last year really either. Which is crazy considering Messi suffering from injury for awhile.

The level Messi has been at most of his career is probably impossible to sustain for an entire career. He has been below his best for a wee while but still one of the best in the world and I'm sure he will regain his best at Barca again. He's too good.

Ronaldo hasn't been THAT much better than Messi last year really either. Which is crazy considering Messi suffering from injury for awhile.

He certainly was in Europe. 

He certainly was in Europe. 

Yeah, certainly wasn't at the World Cup though.

The level Messi has been at most of his career is probably impossible to sustain for an entire career. He has been below his best for a wee while but still one of the best in the world and I'm sure he will regain his best at Barca again. He's too good.

Aye there's very few that kept their level so high for so long, even Maradona had a relatively short period of dominance but it was great everyone still remembers it.

It's expected, I just people became so accustomed to how consistently great he was that it felt like it was never going to dropped.

Even in a  "bad" year he still managed just 3 less league goals than Ronaldo. Not sure about all comps but yeah he's still great just not at the level we expect him to be.

This. Starting to think Messi needs to move for his own sake tbh.

Yeah, could be. He's been there a long time and he might need a fresh challenge.

He's already achieved all he can with Barca.

This. Starting to think Messi needs to move for his own sake tbh.

Yeah, could be. He's been there a long time and he might need a fresh challenge.

He's already achieved all he can with Barca.

Bear in mind he's coming to 28 I think and Barca are likely to be in this state for at least the next 2-3 years while they recover from the transfer ban.

That combined with the Tax thing, plus just generally looking demotivated for so long might see him away.

Who too though, and for how much?

Aye there's very few that kept their level so high for so long, even Maradona had a relatively short period of dominance but it was great everyone still remembers it.

It's expected, I just people became so accustomed to how consistently great he was that it felt like it was never going to dropped.

Even in a  "bad" year he still managed just 3 less league goals than Ronaldo. Not sure about all comps but yeah he's still great just not at the level we expect him to be.

:thup:

Although tbh Messi can still play at the highest, but he's either been suffering from an illness or been lazy at least before the World Cup. I for one thought he was done for big parts of last season, just couldn't be arsed with much, obviously the control he has was always good but he just didn't impact games the same way. Look at the World Cup, his quality showed that he's still one of the best but he could've and should've done so much more damage imo. He was back to his best Sunday and is for many games, but many he just doesn't seem to care while CRonaldo plays at 100% every game and tries to win them.

Messi is a far better footballer but Ronaldo had a better season IMO.

Messi has had motivation issues for a good couple years. But when he's on, he's on; he bossed the game against Atlético for example. But seems harder for him to remain at the very top, every game, like he did 2-3 years ago.

Maybe because he's achieved everything at club level, I don't know.

Messi has had motivation issues for a good couple years. But when he's on, he's on; he bossed the game against Atlético for example. But seems harder for him to remain at the very top, every game, like he did 2-3 years ago.

Maybe because he's achieved everything at club level, I don't know.

:thup: Although I do question why he looked the same in the WC? Should've been his time to become bigger than Maradona. Now I don't think he'll get another chance.

You could tell he wasn't fit in the World Cup like.

I'm not sure. He has been playing the same level for quite a few games after and before the World Cup as well. Has he been having fitness issues all year? why wouldn't he do something about it? Genuine questions.

He does have a problem with nausea during games.

Have they found out what it is? Does he still have them? He vomited at the final didn't he? Didn't he say that it wasn't causing nausea though, he just vomited?