Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Ribery's very effective in the Bundesliga.

He's not top 5 most talented in the squad imo and for that alone he can't win it.

In the squad or world? He's definitely their best player, ask the germans who is the best player in their league, I don't see why they'd say a foreign player if they didn't think it was him. As for being the most talented in the world he's clearly not, Messi and Ronaldo, I'd say Suarez as well are infront of him. The thing is that the prize depends all on the criteria, if it's based on who has been the best player for the team that has won the most it's clearly Ribery, but I would have Ronaldo and Messi above him just because they're better footballers and it's an individual award after all.

He's not top 5 most talented in the squad imo and for that alone he can't win it.

In the squad or world? He's definitely their best player, ask the germans who is the best player in their league, I don't see why they'd say a foreign player if they didn't think it was him. As for being the most talented in the world he's clearly not, Messi and Ronaldo, I'd say Suarez as well are infront of him. The thing is that the prize depends all on the criteria, if it's based on who has been the best player for the team that has won the most it's clearly Ribery, but I would have Ronaldo and Messi above him just because they're better footballers and it's an individual award after all.

Listen man. I don't have to ask other people to validate my opinion of a player who I have seen for 10 years.

Listen man. I don't have to ask other people to validate my opinion of a player who I have seen for 10 years.

Fair enough, in the end it's all subjective, I'm not necessarily saying your wrong, I just find the fact that you find five players in the Bayern squad more talented than Ribery a bit new and unheard of. But everyone is entitled to their opinion :thup:

What about David Luiz?

:lol:

Too mistake prone to be considered one of the absolute best, on his day he is possibly better than Thiago Silva (who is the only central defender on the shortlist).

My bad. I was thinking out loud kind of.  That shit Coloccini song could work with Ronaldo couldn't it?

Guest palnese

What about David Luiz?

Too mistake prone to be considered one of the absolute best, on his day he is possibly better than Thiago Silva (who is the only central defender on the shortlist).

I see Luiz as a brilliant footballer, but he's way too mental to ever be a top, top defender.

Fair enough, in the end it's all subjective, I'm not necessarily saying your wrong, I just find the fact that you find five players in the Bayern squad more talented than Ribery a bit new and unheard of. But everyone is entitled to their opinion :thup:

Talent wise: Neuer, Lahm, Martinez, Robben, Mueller off the top of my head.

Fair enough, don't you find Neuer a bit to mistake prone though? Seen him make quite a few mistakes, don't end up costing him much because he plays in such a superior team. As for Lahm I completely agree, one of the worlds most consistent players.

Why does Martinez make that list and not Schweinsteiger? (serious question) I like Martinez, very underrated, but if I had to pick one player in Bayern except Ribery to build a team around it be Lahm or Schweinsteiger. Schweinsteiger also got Bundeliga player of the year last year if I'm not completely wrong and seeing him live is different to TV, he moves around the pitch with such fludity you actually don't realize how much space he covers.

What about David Luiz?

I see Luiz as a brilliant footballer, but he's way too mental to ever be a top, top defender.

I hope for the sake of the national team that he doesn't have one of those days in the World Cup. I do think he plays better for Brazil than Chelsea though, TSilva is such a calming influence.

Fair enough, don't you find Neuer a bit to mistake prone though? Seen him make quite a few mistakes, don't end up costing him much because he plays in such a superior team. As for Lahm I completely agree, one of the worlds most consistent players.

Why does Martinez make that list and not Schweinsteiger? (serious question) I like Martinez, very underrated, but if I had to pick one player in Bayern except Ribery to build a team around it be Lahm or Schweinsteiger. Schweinsteiger also got Bundeliga player of the year last year if I'm not completely wrong and seeing him live is different to TV, he moves around the pitch with such fludity you actually don't realize how much space he covers.

I agree about Neuer, he's a tad over-rated but very talented. IMO he's yet to hit his peak.

I'd also say Schweinsteiger is more talented than Ribery. I just thought of Martinez first because aside from Robben i've seen him the most in that side. I also didn't want to list another midfielder.

What about David Luiz?

I hope for the sake of the national team that he doesn't have one of those days in the World Cup. I do think he plays better for Brazil than Chelsea though, TSilva is such a calming influence.

IMO Luiz is a big game player.

What about David Luiz?

IMO Luiz is a big game player.

There's a lot of truth in what you say, I think he might play well against better teams when he knows he can't drop his focus, against worse teams he'll switch off when there's not much happening.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So, if Argentina win this on Sunday is he oficially the greatest player of all time with no arguments?

If he doesn't score people will still complain about him not doing so since the group stages.

Not exaggerating here but Sunday is the defining day in Messi's career.

He's always been compared to Maradona obviously but the fact he dragged his team to win a World Cup has always been thrown in Messi's face. Sunday is his time to put that right and prove his greatness. Absolutely pivotal game for him and his eventual legacy.

The day of his life. We've all waited a while for this one.

I wonder if the Germans will gang up in him like everyone else has, or whether they have the confidence to just win their own way.

The day of his life. We've all waited a while for this one.

I wonder if the Germans will gang up in him like everyone else has, or whether they have the confidence to just win their own way.

They don't have they players and to do so they would have to compromise their style. Not too mention that they barely bothered with Ronaldo.

Low would be an utter mentalist to change the team from yesterday.

Funny thing about all of this is he actually played better in 2010 IMO.

Funny the way people say he was shit in 2010.

He was easily Argentina's best player and just plain unlucky.  Everything went through him but he just couldn't find the net.