Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

He was very poor tonight and extremely disappointing. He didn't show for the ball enough or want the ball enough. He was lazy and went through the motions. Compare his performance to Schweinsteiger who was brilliant all game. Messi is the best of his generation, but falls short of the likes of Pele and Maradona. Quite simply he just didn't turn up in the biggest game of all.

He wasn't very poor at all. He did something good nearly every time he got it

Guest neesy111

Almost impossible to judge players of different era's because of the way the game has changed.  Defence's are so much better organised than 30-40 years ago etc etc.

he would be remembered as another cruyff, not maradona

He's not 35, he'll play at other WCs before his career is done.

Given his decline in the last 2 years it'd be foolish to assume we'll see anything even shadowing his best in 4 years time.

Guest Howaythetoon

He was very poor tonight and extremely disappointing. He didn't show for the ball enough or want the ball enough. He was lazy and went through the motions. Compare his performance to Schweinsteiger who was brilliant all game. Messi is the best of his generation, but falls short of the likes of Pele and Maradona. Quite simply he just didn't turn up in the biggest game of all.

He wasn't very poor at all. He did something good nearly every time he got it

The game passed him by, he failed to get into it and make his mark. He was lazy and didn't show anywhere near enough for the ball as he should have. This is the best player in the world, the greatest of his generation and someone with legitimate claims to being the best ever and he just didn't show up. He hasn't had a bad tournament really but given who he is and what he is capable of he hasn't starred at all and has been very underwhelming in the main.

Given his decline in the last 2 years it'd be foolish to assume we'll see anything even shadowing his best in 4 years time.

True enough, but it does depend on Argentina's team. if those around him get better then it might not matter.

Probably right though.

exactly. his declining rate is ridiculous. There's a stat that his distance covered is even less than Neuer in the whole tournament.  This is extremely worrying

Barcelona dominate possession in every game they play, and so Messi is constantly involved. Argentina had 36% in the final.

Exactly, he has to be given the ball to do things. I think he had a good game and he is the best player I've ever seen easily

Barcelona dominate possession in every game they play, and so Messi is constantly involved. Argentina had 36% in the final.

Their players don't spunk chances away like the Argentinians have either. He's created more than any other player. Aguero's been absolutely abominable. I hear "he's not fit", aye I'll remember that when he rocks up at SJP in a month's time and pisses it.

I'm gutted for Messi. That chance will haunt him.

I don't think it is possible to judge players from different eras - so while a fun debate, it always becomes a bit pointless.

However… I don't really get why such a great focus is placed on 1) winning the World Cup (given the huge disparities in the teams in which these world class players have played or currently play in and 2) having to put in a 'performance' in the final - not all great players happen to have a great game in a final.  Shit happens.

True enough, but it does depend on Argentina's team. if those around him get better then it might not matter.

Probably right though.

If they had won it. They wouldn't have won it because of Messi. Which is the point we are trying to debate. The Argentinians played decent. Certainly, well enough to capitalise off Messi really turning up. He didn't and they where narrowly defeated.

Nobody really mentions Cruijff not winning a World Cup, he just gets appreciated for the genius that he was.

From what i've seen he was like an artist. The expressive way he played the game is very different to Messi. Plus, he won the Euros - no? And his philosophy he carried on from that Total Football thing to other clubs has been very important. Also seems he cares as much about the way the game is played as the result.

He's not seen in that Maradona bracket either tbf.

He should be, on pure achievements, Cruyff shits all over Maradona's club career and was the best player in one of the most iconic teams in history.

But i'm not personally one to put a World Cup winners medal above club year in/year out domination. When i look at achievement i look at the full package.

I think its a bit unfair (not just Messi) that players are judged on a tournament which happens once every 4 years after a grueling club season.

Was not the best player of the tournament.

Good ol' FIFA.

Not to be defending FIFA, but how is it FIFA's fault he was named best player

There's no way on Earth he won most votes from genuine voters. Anyone who watched the entire tournament could clearly see he didn't deserve it.

FIFA are so corrupt. If Argentina had won the final,a German would have won the golden ball to keep it "fair".