Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Why did Kenny Dalglish break the 2nd place team up? I always wanted to know that...were there any books/bios etc that explained as such?

It's been talked about a few times on here. The team was near its end, Beardsley was done, Ferdinand was injured a fair bit iirc, but the ridiculous thing that he did was change it for even older players and in some cases got rid of the younger players (got rid of Elliott instead of Beresford)

I'm not getting into it again, but he got rid of Ginola, which was a mistake, but generally he brought in daft players when at that point we were a team trying to win the league. John Barnes, Ian Rush and Stuart Pearce ffs. Just utter stupidity.

Sorry for asking again, just reading a Keegan Bio and began to think about post Keegan and Kenny coming in. The Ferdinand sale happened literally the day after Shearer got hurt, right? Just think the Ginola sale was daft as fuck given he was LW balance to Gillespie's RW, right?

What's it called when a player lays a penalty off for another player to score?

And I don't mean retarded, I mean is there a proper name for it.

I thought there was - it's a brazilian-y name like a flaffeffa or something with 'f's and 'v's that isn't flavela.

The Filipao

I thought there was - it's a brazilian-y name like a flaffeffa or something with 'f's and 'v's that isn't flavela.

The Filipao

I thought that was the word for touching your sister?

The Filipao

Ah hell that escalated fast.

Guest firetotheworks

Why did Kenny Dalglish break the 2nd place team up? I always wanted to know that...were there any books/bios etc that explained as such?

It's been talked about a few times on here. The team was near its end, Beardsley was done, Ferdinand was injured a fair bit iirc, but the ridiculous thing that he did was change it for even older players and in some cases got rid of the younger players (got rid of Elliott instead of Beresford)

I'm not getting into it again, but he got rid of Ginola, which was a mistake, but generally he brought in daft players when at that point we were a team trying to win the league. John Barnes, Ian Rush and Stuart Pearce ffs. Just utter stupidity.

Sorry for asking again, just reading a Keegan Bio and began to think about post Keegan and Kenny coming in. The Ferdinand sale happened literally the day after Shearer got hurt, right? Just think the Ginola sale was daft as fuck given he was LW balance to Gillespie's RW, right?

Nah, it just always takes loads of effort to remember everything from that time. :lol:

Ginola was out of form tbf and he was either 29 or 30 at the time, but he had a brilliant season after he left us. It was a team that needed to be tweaked, not overhauled is the thing I think we would all mainly agree upon.

Sorry for asking again, just reading a Keegan Bio and began to think about post Keegan and Kenny coming in. The Ferdinand sale happened literally the day after Shearer got hurt, right? Just think the Ginola sale was daft as f*** given he was LW balance to Gillespie's RW, right?

Nah, it just always takes loads of effort to remember everything from that time. :lol:

Ginola was out of form tbf and he was either 29 or 30 at the time, but he had a brilliant season after he left us. It was a team that needed to be tweaked, not overhauled is the thing I think we would all mainly agree upon.

True, won like Player of the Year following leaving us and at least putting up 30 some-odd appearances for the next 3 years.

He would never have had such a season under Dalglish though. The two clearly didn't really get along sportingly and Ginola was out of favour as well as being out of form.

The Filipao

:lol:

Elliott - Pistone

Ginola - Glass

Clark - Tomasson

Asprilla - Andersson

Beardsley - Barnes

Ferdinand - Rush

:lol: :anguish:

Couldn't we have kept everyone and just signed Speed and Given?

Woodman and Carver were given roles in the coaching staff that season, incidentally. :laugh:

Glass was a different kind of wide midfielder than what had preceeded him. He was more of a Sheedy type than a  Ginola type. He was a decent passer of the ball. Like 'Polic says not strong enough but I'm a tad blinded by his great performance in the 5-1 stuffing we gave Coventry at Highfield Rd under Gullit. He was absolutely magic that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Mind reading a WSC article on that a while ago, I think the north/south balance has been pretty horrible for the last few years a that level, just with promotions and relegations leaving a heap of southern teams. Think their example at the time was Bishop's Stortford being in the North.

God, I'm fascinating.

Why are Gloucester City in the conference north?

Mind reading a WSC article on that a while ago, I think the north/south balance has been pretty horrible for the last few years a that level, just with promotions and relegations leaving a heap of southern teams. Think their example at the time was Bishop's Stortford being in the North.

God, I'm fascinating.

This is true. There are a huge number of teams in and around the south east which slants the balance of north/south. Gloucester, Worcester and Bishop's Stortford have both been in Conf North. When Hampton were in Conf South we didn't really have too many long trips, unless one of the West Country teams got up. Even then Bath City isn't that bad a trip from West London. Worcester to Gateshead or Blyth though. Ridiculous.They've tried to find a better way of doing it but the organisation in non-league footy is so bad, they'll never get it right.

The Filipao

:lol:

Stumbled across this now. :lol: :lol:

Almost certainly someone has played in both. Not sure if it's from going up to premier and then back down, but they've been switched across between seasons. Bishop's Stortford certainly have. They play about 30 miles north of the M25, near Stansted airport, and got stuck in the north for a couple of years.

Non league footy is crazy, there's always a team that goes out of business so somebody gets reprieved somewhere which causes other moves further down the pyramid. No promotions or relegations are final till after the league meetings in the summer.

The border between north and south being in Essex is a bit silly though. Like I said, they really should have given it an overhaul years ago and split everything  in to north and south. The Isthmian league is the problem though, they'd never accept being merged with the southern league.

• 2 months later...